Paul Tibbets Senior Wings????

Bobertizkewl

This pic is circ 1940's with the wings you mention.

Just for history's sake, he was promoted to COL on 8 Jan 1945, so this photo probably dates from 8 Jan or immediately thereafter.

Dave

P.S. He was still a Sr Pilot in 1948. Not sure when he became a CMD Pilot.

Howdy Paul,

You could be correct. But those fake engraved wings are usually pretty bad with the engraving frequently looking like it was done with a nail. I have a whole series of them posted here on my webpage here: http://pfrost.bol.ucla.edu/Fakes_Blog/Entr...akes_wings.html. This looks like a basic machine engraved current issue wing. I have seen similar type things for events like a CAF (Confederate Air Force) air show, et al.

But in any case, I suspect it has nothing at all to do with Paul Tibbets in any way than using his name. I would doubt he gave them out, authorized them, or actually had any contact with them at all.

In fact, correct me if I am wrong, but can't you find something like this at the US National Air and Space Museum gift shop? I seem to recall seeing something like this a long time ago?

Could be, but it does look a bit like the engraving on the "swift silent deadly" wing! nice blog BTY!