Barcalo Army bunk 1934

copdoc

Any info on these? I googled and found out the company was in business in 1896 and made steel beds and tools. I did not find anything about military contracts except for tools.

Anyone have any idea why it is stamped for the Philadelphia Ordnance Dept?

This one outlasted the 35 year guarantee on the civilian steel beds.

army_cot.jpg

army_cot_2.jpg

Johan Willaert

Looks like a nice pre-WW2 military bunk as would have been used in barracks...

Barcalo Buffalo was also the main supplier for the wrenches in Ford GPW Jeep tool kits...

Looks like a nice pre-WW2 military bunk as would have been used in barracks...

Barcalo Buffalo was also the main supplier for the wrenches in Ford GPW Jeep tool kits...

Thanks. Do you have any idea why it would be stamped Philia Ord Depot?

Edit. A friend emailed that they were made at the Phila Ord Depot and mattresses were made in prisons.

DwightPruitt

The main claim to fame was Barcalounger reclining furniture.

El Bibliotecario

I'vr no idea who made them but identical bunks were in common use into the '60s...if not longer.

I'd love to own one of them! Unfortunately, I don't think these are in too great supply... :(

Apparently as I got an email from someone looking for 4 of them. I guess they were sold as scrap and only a few pulled out. You would think that somewhere, some dorm or hurricane shelter would have some that were surplussed out.

wow just had a flashback to basic training -- thanks - also slept on one during training at Camp Ripley in the early 70's in a tin hut - great place to sleep in a rain storm :lol:

wow just had a flashback to basic training -- thanks - also slept on one during training at Camp Ripley in the early 70's in a tin hut - great place to sleep in a rain storm :lol:

Glad you guys enjoyed it so much. It had been in the garage for 40 years or more. Glad I kept the mattress inside.

I have one exactly like that out on a shelf in my pole barn, but I've never noticed any markings on it-same color as that Barcalo,too. Were all WW2 ones marked? Mine came from an old house that I bought and tore down.

As an aside, my Dad has mentioned that the bunks he slept on in England (at his 8th AAF base) had matresses in three sections,and they called them "Biscuits".

I have one exactly like that out on a shelf in my pole barn, but I've never noticed any markings on it-same color as that Barcalo,too. Were all WW2 ones marked? Mine came from an old house that I bought and tore down.

As an aside, my Dad has mentioned that the bunks he slept on in England (at his 8th AAF base) had matresses in three sections,and they called them "Biscuits".

I'm not sure about others, I never looked until the other day when I just wondered if it was marked/dated. Dad told me it was WWII issue from Camp Mackall. Someone gave it to him after WWII. The mattress for this one is one piece is very heavy for the size and not marked that I can tell. According to a friend they were made in the prisons.

I can't believe the flurry of emails of people interested in these old cots. The military marked and dated almost everything. See if yours in marked and put up a pic.

A good source to check are Boy Scout camps. Many were supplied with surplus metal bunks fifty years ago which, these days, are being junked.

Tom

B.A.R.gunner
A good source to check are Boy Scout camps. Many were supplied with surplus metal bunks fifty years ago which, these days, are being junked.

Tom

looks exactly like the cots we use at boy scout summer camp, I'll have to check them out when we go this year. most have all the springs and wire mesh in them, but some of the mesh have been replaced with wooden boards

It is marked Philadelphia Q.M. Depot... bed and bedding material was Quartermaster Corps responsibility.

• 3 years later...

I hope the demand for these continues. I recently found three of them and only want to keep two for myself so I'd like to see the last go to a collector. If interested msg me. I'll post pics soon (they are my other computer). Tom

Nice bunk. I have one exactly like it and am looking for a source for a mattress. Any leads where I can find a cot or bunk bed mattress source? Thanks!

I had an extra mattress but it was dirty and stained so I threw it away when I first posted this. One mattress was in great shape and wrapped up so I kept that one. Sorry guys, but even the mattress would have been a bear to wrap and ship.

• 3 weeks later...
airborne1968

I had an extra mattress but it was dirty and stained so I threw it away when I first posted this. One mattress was in great shape and wrapped up so I kept that one. Sorry guys, but even the mattress would have been a bear to wrap and ship.

Can you please post a picture of the mattress?

Can you please post a picture of the mattress?

Sure It was hard to get to and wife had put plastic cover on it. I'll get some better pics later if you need them. The tag had been sewed in the seam. I might be able to cut the thread so you can see it but want to take my time if I do. I have seen these blue striped mattreses in several prisons and jails 20-30 years ago. I am not sure they were the same size. The numbers appear to be on the date line?????????

IMG_12024.JPG

IMG_12013.JPG

IMG_12034.JPG

I went and dug mine out and on one end it has this stamped into it,

STOCK No.26-C-3050 SPEC.No.32 7A

CONT. No. W-199-QM-23690 CQMD 1-24-42 U.S.

HAGGARD & MARCUSSON Co.

Anyone know what this means? C(?) Q(quartermaster) M(medical) D(department)

• 1 month later...