A question about the brown/chocolate ties of ww2

Jamecharles

:)

I like those black neckties very much. I have a nice early (silk) specimen and am still looking for the latest proof how long those black ties were in use. If to believe the Osprey's "Men-At-Arms" series black neckties were in use (in the US armored forces) at least up to 1944.

If they wore them into 1944, then it should be safe to assume that they were worn until the end of the war, when the soldiers and their black ties went home. Sounds logical.

If they wore them into 1944, then it should be safe to assume that they were worn until the end of the war, when the soldiers and their black ties went home. Sounds logical.

Yes, you are absolutely right. It is not the truth what various books write that black neckties disappeared from the Army and AAF early to mid 1942.

Below there is one more example -- August or September 1943, 4th FG, 334th FS, Lt Aubrey Stanhope among others and black necktie "in action". Lt Stanhope was shot down on September 7th, 1943.

post-75-0-01930300-1385038291.jpg

doinworkinvans

This isn't picture proof but I'm reading "A wing and a prayer" by Harry Crosby who was lead navigator for the "Bloody Hundredth " BG and he was describing his dress on a flight routine and I instantly thought of this topic...

""I put on my mission gear. Long Johns, blue flannel underwear wired for connection to the planes electrical system, O.D. wool pants and shirt, low cut brown oxford shoes, BLACK WOOL TIE. Over this, my flying coveralls. Over everything, fleece lined boots, leather fleece lined pants, jacket and a hat.

Just thought it was a nifty bit!

• 2 years later...
SanderCollector

c08a964266.jpg

Did US soldiers often wear the black necktie in combination with the service coat when they were in the field in 1940/1941? I've read in the army regulations of 1941 the following: "neckties will not be worn in the field or under simulated field conditions."

Hi,

I think the confusion is that they are in equipment outdoors, but are almost certainly in Garrison. Usually in the field literally meant in the zone of active operations, or simulated field conditions an outdoor combat exercise.

Also remember that the variety of uniforms seen in England, even within the same unit was large. Lots of shades, shapes and styles for tunics, shirts, ties, hats, shoes... This drive the Brittish nuts and makes us collectors nuts (and poor) too.

I've shamelessly stolen this photo that was posted on Ron Burkey's excellent "Flying Tiger Antiques" website.

http://www.flyingtigerantiques.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=fta&Product_Code=afpg20002a-CON&Category_Code=03afw

Here you can see two Non-Coms, one wearing a British half wing and the other wearing a US Air Gunner wing. Both men are wearing dark ties. Notice that both men are also sporting Ruptured Ducks on their uniforms. As an aside, I'll bet that if most of you came across the uniform of the master sergeant on the left, you would never believe the uniform was an original.

As has been mentioned previously, if you can find the black tie worn in 1944, you'll definitely be able to find them still worn at the end of the war. Here is proof.

Allan

post-151-0-97678400-1456196940.jpg

• 7 years later...
21 minutes ago, eaglerunner88 said:

Didn't the US Army go back to black ties for dress in the 1950s??

Yes, with the Dress Blues, then with the new Amy Green 44 Class As, too included the Khaki Class As and the Khaki Shirt.