Another earlier eagle snap canteen cover

MattOravik

And the price I sold it for distrubs me most.... But, I did not get on ebay fast enough to end the auction.

Oh really, it didn't go for much?

I cleaned the male snaps a little and they snap and unsnap much easier now. I think they were so hard to unsnap from the thin layer of oxidation. I also added an undated canteen and cup I had laying around.

post-137-1276567420.jpg

I cleaned the male snaps a little and they snap and unsnap much easier now. I think they were so hard to unsnap from the thin layer of oxidation. I also added an undated canteen and cup I had laying around.

Very nice Matt. Is it just more or is the U.S. stamped all the way at the bottom?

Very nice Matt. Is it just more or is the U.S. stamped all the way at the bottom?

That looks to be a faded '18'. I still get confused on how to read those markings. Is it the NY 1st infantry, 12th Reg.?

-Matt.

That looks to be a faded '18'. I still get confused on how to read those markings. Is it the NY 1st infantry, 12th Reg.?

-Matt.

Wouldnt it be 1st infantry, 12th NY reg?

Strictly GI

I believe it would be;

B Co, 1st NY Infantry

Soldier #12

Or if the canteen was unit property then it was canteen #12

Sgt Saunders

Mike,

It's looks like a US to me. Funny it's so far to the bottom.

All my marked ones are higher up. Maybe it's a special run of covers

for the NY Regiment? :think:

Strictly GI
That is a U.S. mark.

Looks like an 18 to me. If you look closely the canteen has been completely remarked. You can see the "ghost" Y below the new one and the muskets too.

Original soldier number or control number was 18. When remarked it was given # 12.

Matt

I tore a snap from a 1907 belt and now I just do not snap anything once it is undone. I just don't know how many more times the snap will hold. They may be good for a thousand snaps but what if the next is 1001:( What did you clean them with I want mine clean I jst don't want to cry again when one tears.

Bob

Matt

I tore a snap from a 1907 belt and now I just do not snap anything once it is undone. I just don't know how many more times the snap will hold. They may be good for a thousand snaps but what if the next is 1001:( What did you clean them with I want mine clean I jst don't want to cry again when one tears.

Bob

I used a tiny piece of steel wool and used my fingernail to get it into the little gap of the male snap. There was a buildup of corrosion or gunk in there keeping it from unsnapping easily. Now that I have the canteen and cup in there I don't plan on messing with it anymore. Just in case.

-Matt.