Great War Victory Medal.

TomcatPC

Hello

I really don't collect medals and awards, this is the only medal I have, except for the two medals and two ribbons that I actually earned in the Service. This was given to me when I was about 9 or 10-ish, by a Great Aunt. I do not believe I am related to the man it was awarded to. The box is dated 1934. I think this medal is common, but thought I'd fire off a photo anyway.

Thanks

Mark

DSCN1835.jpg

Mark-

The medal itself it common, but having the original addressed shipping box is what makes it not so common. Really nice example!

Kurt

The clasp combination (SM, DS) is not often encountered. Since he received it in 1934, it's something of a late issue. His address is interesting, Ohio Soldiers' and Sailors' [Home?], Erie county, Ohio. I can't read the name very well, looks like Henry Faulkner? If he was originally from Ohio, he may be listed in the Official Roster of Ohio Soldiers, Sailors and Marines which is also in the Ancestry.com data base.

The clasp combination (SM, DS) is not often encountered. Since he received it in 1934, it's something of a late issue. His address is interesting, Ohio Soldiers' and Sailors' [Home?], Erie county, Ohio. I can't read the name very well, looks like Henry Faulkner? If he was originally from Ohio, he may be listed in the Official Roster of Ohio Soldiers, Sailors and Marines which is also in the Ancestry.com data base.

Good point on the bar combination. There is usually at least one more battle clasp with the DS and SM clasps. Perhaps he was wounded and missed out on qualifying for further clasps? As a result of his wounds, he may have been a disabled vet in the Soldiers and Sailors Home.

Kurt

If this is it does say Henry D Faulkner, then it appears he was born in 1888, in 1917 was living with his widowed mother Rosann Faulkner. In the 1920 and 1930 Census reports he was living in Kalamazoo, Michigan with the family of his brother-in-law (last name ROWE) and died 17 Oct 1943 in Ohio. There are no military records for him on ancestry.com except for his draft card:

"World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918

about Henry D Faulkner

Name: Henry D Faulkner

County: Kalamazoo

State: Michigan

Birthplace: Ohio;United States of America

Birth Date: 3 Oct 1888"

faulknerdraft.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Hello

I really don't collect medals and awards, this is the only medal I have, except for the two medals and two ribbons that I actually earned in the Service. This was given to me when I was about 9 or 10-ish, by a Great Aunt. I do not believe I am related to the man it was awarded to. The box is dated 1934. I think this medal is common, but thought I'd fire off a photo anyway.

Thanks

Mark

DSCN1835.jpg

It is a "common" WW1 medal. The Victory Medal. Awarded at the end of the Great War by all the Allied Nations using the same ribbon design and medal. However the British Military Authorities did not allowed the wearing of the "Battle Clasps" on the ribbon, as demonstrated by the US version of the medal. The value here in the UK of a British VM is about £30/$45

It is a "common" WW1 medal. The Victory Medal. Awarded at the end of the Great War by all the Allied Nations using the same ribbon design and medal. However the British Military Authorities did not allowed the wearing of the "Battle Clasps" on the ribbon, as demonstrated by the US version of the medal. The value here in the UK of a British VM is about £30/$45

Donald,

Your point about the ribbons being the same between all of the WWI Victors, they are not. They are similar, but not identical. Also, the pendants are distinctly different between all of the national issues of the Victory Medal.

While if you are simply looking at the US Victory medal with two bars, you are probably pretty accurate with the price being comperable to your British VM. HOWEVER, you should take note that it is in the ORIGINAL issue box with the appropriate campaign bars stamped on the lid. On top of that, It has the original mailing box with address which definitively identifies it to an American war veteran.

The medal might be worth the $45 USD, but the issue box probably shoots the value up to around $100. Adding the shipping box with the name and address with the medal, I would figure it was a $150 medal and would pay that in a HEARTBEAT and I don't even collect WWI medals.

THis is an EXCEPTIONAL piece in my estimation.

Allan

I was under the impression that there were no battle clasps promulgated and issued by the British to disallow the wearing of. The 1914 Star had clsaps.

Donald,

Your point about the ribbons being the same between all of the WWI Victors, they are not. They are similar, but not identical. Also, the pendants are distinctly different between all of the national issues of the Victory Medal.

While if you are simply looking at the US Victory medal with two bars, you are probably pretty accurate with the price being comperable to your British VM. HOWEVER, you should take note that it is in the ORIGINAL issue box with the appropriate campaign bars stamped on the lid. On top of that, It has the original mailing box with address which definitively identifies it to an American war veteran.

The medal might be worth the $45 USD, but the issue box probably shoots the value up to around $100. Adding the shipping box with the name and address with the medal, I would figure it was a $150 medal and would pay that in a HEARTBEAT and I don't even collect WWI medals.

THis is an EXCEPTIONAL piece in my estimation.

Allan

Allan,

I stand corrected. There are slight variances between each medal struck by each victorious nation.

Having the original box and mailing address would add value and I would not suggest a US price as I have no experience of purchasing US medals.

Don

I was under the impression that there were no battle clasps promulgated and issued by the British to disallow the wearing of. The 1914 Star had clsaps.

atb,

I was only referring to the VM. Which in the UK in regards to the British Armed Forces, there are no clasps worn. Of the thirteen Victorious Nations adopting the VM, the USA alone issued it with campaign clasps.

The 1914 Star does have the entitlement to a clasp (generally known as the "Mons" clasp), if the recipient was actually under fire between the dates; 5th August and 22nd November 1914.

Don

The clasps combination of St. Mihiel and Defensive Sector was awarded to entitled members of 301st Engineers, they were an unsigned Brig., (not part of a Division). It would have been also awarded to persons wounded at St. Mihiel, or persons who were not with their unit at Meuse-Argonne.

JohnnyMac (JM)

The clasps combination of St. Mihiel and Defensive Sector was awarded to entitled members of 301st Engineers, they were an unsigned Brig., (not part of a Division). It would have been also awarded to persons wounded at St. Mihiel, or persons who were not with their unit at Meuse-Argonne.

JohnnyMac (JM)

The 301st Engineers (Sapper) were a regiment, not a brigade and they were part of the 76th Division. They were detached and reassigned to the IV Corps in Sep 1918 and did not rejoin the division until demobilization at Ft. Devens, MA in 1919.

They were not part of the 76th went they were in the St. Mihiel Offensive.

Right, did you read my post- "They were detached and reassigned to the IV Corps in Sep 1918..." Information is from the US Army Center of Military History 1988 reprint of the Order of Battle of the United States Land Forces in the World War, American Expeditionary Forces: Divisions, Volume 2, page 293.

Yes I did see your post. Also it is in the “American Army in World War, by George Waldo Browne” and Company C, 301st Engineers, yearbook. My point is not that the 301st was attached to a Div, Brig, Regt or Unit. The Victory medal with the 2 clasps: St. Mihiel and Defensive Sector was only awarded to one unit which is the 301st, which also makes that combination unique to that unit. Just as the clasps on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Division’s Victory medals are unique to their Units. Bottom line is either it’s a 301st Engineer or the soldier was not engaged in the Meuse-Argonne for a whole host of reasons.

Thank you for the come back, (JM)

Right, did you read my post- "They were detached and reassigned to the IV Corps in Sep 1918..." Information is from the US Army Center of Military History 1988 reprint of the Order of Battle of the United States Land Forces in the World War, American Expeditionary Forces: Divisions, Volume 2, page 293.

Yes I did see your post. It is also in the “American Army in World War, by George Waldo Browne”, "Company C, 301st Engineers, yearbook" and "Final Report, Gen. John J. Pershing, 1919". My point is not that the 301st was attached to a Div, Brig, Regt or Unit. The Victory medal with the 2 clasps: St. Mihiel and Defensive Sector was only awarded to one unit which is the 301st, which also makes that combination unique to that unit. Just as the clasps on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Division’s Victory medals are unique to their Units. Bottom line is either it’s a 301st Engineer or the soldier was not engaged in the Meuse-Argonne for a whole host of reasons.

Thank you for the come back, (JM)