USS Indianapolis

navrocky

I would urge members with interest in US Naval history to consider purchasing a copy of "ONLY 317 SURVIVED", an accurate account of this astounding saga and a glimpse into what that ordeal entailed, written by one of the 317. When doing so, he will autograph a copy for you enriching and embellishing its reason to own one.

If you would like a copy, write to Paul J. Murphy; 14005 Dogleg Lane; Broomfield, Colorado 80023. The cost is $30.00 plus $5.00 postage. This small effort will defintely be worth it as I just received my copy the other day and it is quite rivoting. I have no other interest in this except to get this accurate account out to as many folks as possible. Thanks.

I would urge members with interest in US Naval history to consider purchasing a copy of "ONLY 317 SURVIVED", an accurate account of this astounding saga and a glimpse into what that ordeal entailed, written by one of the 317. When doing so, he will autograph a copy for you enriching and embellishing its reason to own one.

If you would like a copy, write to Paul J. Murphy; 14005 Dogleg Lane; Broomfield, Colorado 80023. The cost is $30.00 plus $5.00 postage. This small effort will defintely be worth it as I just received my copy the other day and it is quite rivoting. I have no other interest in this except to get this accurate account out to as many folks as possible. Thanks.

Is it soft or hardbound? I am interested in reading this man's account.

It is a beautiful hardbound book with dust jacket. It is well worth the time, money and effort.

Thank you for your interest in this vital and gripping piece of history from WW II.

Is it soft or hardbound? I am interested in reading this man's account.

navrocky, you just missed out on a great opportunity. Two weekends back I attended the Indianapolis airshow where I met 10 of the survivors as they were signing this book. I went to their tent to purchase the book towards the end of the day which proved to be a wise idea. There was no line and I was able to spend a fair bit of time talking with each of them. There was the local operated PV-2 Harpoon flying and on display which was nice to see. AMM3c James Jarvis was looking over at it and was telling me about the PV-1 Ventura that found them. He said that he was colorblind and thus excluded from sea service. The Navy lifted the policy as it needed more men to go to sea. He was asked to go since he was familiar with the Curtiss SC-1 and the ship needed men who fit that bill. It was his first trip out.

Dave

You still have a chance to see these great men! 40 or so survivors are expected to attend the 65th anniversary Survivor's reunion in late July. I was invited to their reunion, and will luckily be in Columbus, OH that week. My 10 year old son and I are going to make it a priority to drive out to Indy and visit with these men.

They truly are a special group of men (and that book is fantastic).

Ken

Regrettably I am over 2,000 miles away from Columbus but would love to be there if it were possible. Your comments will serve as another important voice to advance the call and purpose of this group of men to others. Thanks for the infomration and support.

Very interesting. It seems that all the activities of this group is focused on the Midwest and here I sit and work in San Francisco. But I am there in spirit telling as many people as I can about this book and the cause they splendid men represent. It is nice to know there are others sharing in this process.

Thank you for the story.

navrocky, you just missed out on a great opportunity. Two weekends back I attended the Indianapolis airshow where I met 10 of the survivors as they were signing this book. I went to their tent to purchase the book towards the end of the day which proved to be a wise idea. There was no line and I was able to spend a fair bit of time talking with each of them. There was the local operated PV-2 Harpoon flying and on display which was nice to see. AMM3c James Jarvis was looking over at it and was telling me about the PV-1 Ventura that found them. He said that he was colorblind and thus excluded from sea service. The Navy lifted the policy as it needed more men to go to sea. He was asked to go since he was familiar with the Curtiss SC-1 and the ship needed men who fit that bill. It was his first trip out.

Dave

Dave,

No, the reunion is in Indianapolis from July28 -August 1. I'm in Columbus that week (I live in New York), but will be driving out one day to Indianapolis for the reunion just to be in the presence of these men. Since last summer's mini-reunion eight survivors have passed away, so I feel it is important that my son meet these men while he has the chance. They truly are great men and, like all other vets, never consider themselves heroes.

Ken

kklinejr,

So, is the the reunion scheduled to be in Columbus?

Dave

DwightPruitt

I have a copy signed by survivors Jimmy O'Donnell ( a swell guy and a local treasure) Paul Murphy, Don McCall, Earl Riggins, Sam Lopez, Art Leenerman, Jim Jarvis, Glen Morgan, and Paul McGinnis. I used to see O'Donnell around Indianapolis all the time, he's very frail now. The city recently unveiled a statue of him at the city Market.

http://www.indy.com/posts/statue-of-uss-in...vor-is-unveiled

A coincidence.... 317, the number of survivors of the USS Indianapolis, is also the telephone area code for the city.

• 3 weeks later...
Garandomatic

I'll be buying this book. I've read two or three books on the Indy and own one. Story has always touched me. Grandpa's best friend was unfortunately NOT one of the 317, if you get my drift. All told my little town lost two men on the Indy, but had a third survive. Seems like a high percentage given the scope of the war and the size of this little burg.

Excelleny. You will be more than satisfied for having done so. With your history you will appreciate the words of these men even more. Thanks for reading the post.

• 2 weeks later...
Garandomatic

Well, here I sit, 4 hours from Indy, sick as a dog, and my "copilot" for the trip's grandpa may have had a stroke, so his family is sticking around. I had my map printed out, everything ready short of gassing up and heading out. I'll be thinking about the Indy though. I wanted to go for the two guys from here that didn't make it back. The one fella's family used to take my grandpa in when they were younger. My Great-grandpa was a mean drunk and would lock Grandpa out and beat him pretty bad sometimes. When Grandpa heard the Indy went down, it really hit him hard. He and Dale were best friends. Hope they have a reunion next year.