Special Allied Reconnaissance Force Grouping

seebee1

A fairly recent aquisition that I had hoped would include history of the original owner. Unfortunately this was not forthcoming, there are no real clues to the identity, even the medal box is two lower sections, so no name and address to find. All the items came together, though am unsure if they are all to the same person. The Dunkerque medal is well worn, the other medals are not, also assume the 15th-19th Royal Hussars cap badge belongs, but uncertain. My main interest was the S.A.A.R.F. Wing. I would be very interested to see other examples of this quite scarce insignia. Regards, Clive.

post-1567-1276262207.jpg

Since SAARF was a mult-national force, it appears that your grouping was accumulated by someone serving in GB's armed forces (who also wore the SAHEAF SSI - that too, was multi-national). Tough to determine from your pic if the SAARF wing is original. What does stand out are the poorly trimmed base and the wing color.

http://www.insigne.org/SAARF-I.htm should prove helpful

You can see my SAARF wing here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...AARF&st=140 on page 8 of the thread. There should also be a thread that shows the eBay auction of SAARF wing and title that was sold by Bill Scott, aka RAREPATCHMAN which was good as gold (and by weight was worth more than gold!).

I find it interesting that your English group would have a US made SHAEF patch as I would have figured that the English made examples would have been much more prevalent during WWII- especially to an English operative.

from the front, your wing appears to be an original. It would be good to see the back.

Allan

Thank you for your comments. We have "met" Allan on another Forum, I posted a variant S.A.A.R.F. Wing that received mixed reviews, also another original I have. Your observation about the S.H.A.E.F. Patch is an interesting one, my other original, that belonged to a British Radio Instructor also came with a U.S. manufactured Patch as well. He also never had the printed title, seems they not all did receive this. Not sure about posting the back of the S.A.A.R.F. Wing, some folk are not too keen on this due to showing construction. Thinking about it perhaps not a problem, as yet (optimistic comment) no one has come remotely near to making a perfect copy. Glad to see your example as well, excellent. Regards, Clive.

Saskatoon Light Infantry
A fairly recent aquisition that I had hoped would include history of the original owner. Unfortunately this was not forthcoming, there are no real clues to the identity, even the medal box is two lower sections, so no name and address to find. All the items came together, though am unsure if they are all to the same person. The Dunkerque medal is well worn, the other medals are not, also assume the 15th-19th Royal Hussars cap badge belongs, but uncertain. My main interest was the S.A.A.R.F. Wing. I would be very interested to see other examples of this quite scarce insignia. Regards, Clive.

Here's the S.A.A.R.F group Bill Scott sold on ebay a few weeks back.

post-8484-1276299963.jpg

Seems I may have had a reasonable deal, the whole grouping for $1,445.00. I could add to it with my spare S.A.A.R.F. Title, but as it never came with the group, and I am not convinced all of them had both the Wing and Title, will just leave it as it is. Would be pleased to see any further examples, thank you for all those already posted. Regards, Clive.

Here's the S.A.A.R.F group Bill Scott sold on ebay a few weeks back.

I do not see anything amiss with your wing. I've had several of the wings - all from vets - and I have noted less-than-perfect trimming in some instances.