WWI Navy Uniforms

siege1863

Recently acquired a WWI photo album from a New Jersey family. The two sons were in the Navy, one in the Naval Reserve Force. This son saw duty aboard the patrol boat USS BARRACUDA (SP-845), which operated primarily in New York Harbor. Below is a photo of the BARRACUDA, Bos'n Seward Scharff, who "captained" the boat, and some of the crew. I thought the members would like to see the details of the uniforms, insignia, rates, etc.

post-211-1276222172.jpg

post-211-1276222201.jpg

This photo was taken on November 11, 1918. With the news of the end of the war, the ships in the Harbor flew all their "laundry."

post-211-1276223256.jpg

Great photos. Thanks for posting.

Notice the first enlisted photo is a sailor wearing the ex-apprentice mark in his jumper "vee".

Notice the last photo in dress blues is an "admin type" wearing an ink pen in his jumper "vee".

-dan

Great photos. Thanks for posting.

Notice the first enlisted photo is a sailor wearing the ex-apprentice mark in his jumper "vee".

Notice the last photo in dress blues is an "admin type" wearing an ink pen in his jumper "vee".

-dan

You noticed that too? And the last shot of the dungarees! really great photos. Thanks for sharing.

Steve Hesson

Those boots in post 8 are something else. These kinds of detailed photos from WWI are quite scarce so it is always nice to see them.

Garandomatic

If WWII dungarees are hard to find, I bet WWI examples would hold their value better than all the gold in the world... Cool pictures.

Hello

Next time I'm at my Dad's place, I'll have to remember to take photos of my Grand Dad's Blues and Whites, he Served in the US Navy during the Great War.

Thanks

Mark

Hello

Well I could not find my Grand Dad's Whites, but I did find one of his Dress Blue Jumpers, all be it very faded and dusty. It is ironic an a way, the Dress Blues my Grand Dad wore from 1917 to 1919 are not that much different that the Blues my Dad wore from 1943 until 1946 and not drastically different from what I wore from 1989 until 1993 (yes yes, I know my Blues were actually Black...LOL).

Thanks

Mark

DSCN1862.jpg

I also found this shirt in with my Grand Dad's US Navy Uniforms, not certain what this shirt is called though? It too is very faded and dusty.

Thanks

Mark

DSCN1860.jpg