Extra Large Unicor PASGT - Questions

summersdogs

summersdogs

Hi, to all. I'm wondering about the production date of this helmet. It is stamped (and yes, you'll see a typo which is not mine:

HELMET PAGST

SPO100-01-D-EA02

8470-01-300-3819

UNICOR

I thought the date might be 2001; then the 02 after EA threw me. The crown is embossed with 03 in a circle (along with the size and what looks like three enjoined boxes). Also, can anyone comment on the approximate number of extra-large PASGTs were produced? I know this size isn't plentiful.

Many thanks,

Lynne

Hello,

yes, it was made in 2001.

SPO100-01-D-EA02 = contract number. In this contract, there's date (year) of manufacturing.

8470-01-300-3819 = national stock number (NSN)

Hope I well understand your question ? If yes, hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Pierre

summersdogs

Merci beaucoup, Pierre! You understood my question perfectly. Nice to see you again. :)

Does anyone know the approximate quantity of the X-Large size PASGTs produced?

Lynne

• 7 years later...
Cap Camouflage Pattern I

What is yours marked? There should be a number stamped in the crown of the helmet, that's the year of manufacture. If there are more than one it is the newest one.

According to Mark A. Reynosa's PASGT helmet book (the best reference for information about these helmets currently available) there were 2,000 made for Unicor's 1990 contract. Unfortunately, Reynosa's book was published prior to several later developments in PASGT production, including the post-OEF/OIF production of PASGT helmets. Consequently, there is no data currently available (that I know about) related to the production of the 2001 XL PASGT helmet. However, the XL PASGT helmets have always been a low-production item, so I don't imagine the number produced was very large. However, there does seem to be more of the 2001 versions around than the original 1990 versions, though this could possibly be due to them being produced right before the PASGT was replaced by the ACH.

Both of the XL PASGT helmet contracts were produced by Unicor. The odd "enjoined boxes" symbol in the crown of your helmet is likely Unicor's logo.

The production year is indicated by the mold mark in the helmet. The mark in your helmet indicates it was made in 2003. The "01" contract year is just that... the fiscal year the contract was awarded. Items can be made for MANY years after a contract was awarded. For instance, I've seen multicam field gear made around 2013/2014 produced under a 2007 contract. This is even more interesting when you consider that in 2007, the Army was standardized with the ACU (aka "UCP") camouflage!

• 4 years later...
Chim Chim the Diminutive

I will try to check the 2000 number, but my sources told me the number of XLs made was 1000. This is the minimum production Unicor would make.