50's(?) USMC Experimental Camo Uniform

vintageproductions

bravo_2_zero
Lack of comments does not necessarily mean that no one cares. The number of views my members alone shows people are obviously interested.

However, I would guess most are like me and really know nothing about this rare piece or other pieces mentioned. We are therefore left only admire the pictures and read the history (and anxiously wait for additional information to come to light).

spot on comment ;)

Cracking Uniform , cracking history and one i'd like to more of if ever anything more comes to life.

Imagine the world was a perfect place and a marine just happened to take a candid photograph of his buddies wearing this pattern during the testing of this uniform .

To me that would make my day .

all the best

o

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

I just found the shirt I was looking for. This is exactly the same cut as the Vintage Productions shirt.

Manufacturer buttons material are all the same as I have compared both shirts side by side.

However, there is a radical different camo pattern which I have never seen before or since.

I will include several shots of this unique and strange garment.

Any ideas guys?

All the Best,

Kammo Man

post-2009-1217016375.jpg

bravo_2_zero
Hi guys,

I just found the shirt I was looking for. This is exactly the same cut as the Vintage Productions shirt.

Manufacturer buttons material are all the same as I have compared both shirts side by side.

However, there is a radical different camo pattern which I have never seen before or since.

I will include several shots of this unique and strange garment.

Any ideas guys?

All the Best,

Kammo Man

Looks like a play on the 6 color desert print, i seem to remember seeing some of this on eBay quiet recently

B20

This has been in the collection for 15 years , dont confuse with ebay rubbish.

This is a pure vintage piece.

all the best

o

bravo_2_zero
B20

This has been in the collection for 15 years , dont confuse with ebay rubbish.

This is a pure vintage piece.

all the best

o

Hi not saying it's rubbish but there was a collector based in HongKong who sold his collection on eBay in the past 2 weeks, he had about 40 uniforms including 1st pat MARPAT Trials. Some of his uniforms sold for $800 each and i seem to remember the seller having an item with same type of print.

Hi not saying it's rubbish but there was a collector based in HongKong who sold his collection on eBay in the past 2 weeks, he had about 40 uniforms including 1st pat MARPAT Trials. Some of his uniforms sold for $800 each and i seem to remember the seller having an item with same type of print.

And if I am thinking of the same dealer you are making reference to, there were some VERY fishy things going on with ALL his auctions. A lot of his items were put together or misidentified. The gentleman in question is no longer a registered Ebay member.

By the way Kammo-Man, very nice camo jacket you have.

Hey Guys

I steped out for lunch !!!

LA time you know ....

Gotta feed my face .

B2O sorry i should have said this was a 1950s or 1960s print and garment cut .

It would have been a radical moment if this pattern was designed back then and "pulled 'from a folder and used again .

That would have been a perfect cammo moment!!!!

But oh well ....

Nkomo

you seem to know what is going on in the world cammo movement any thoughts???

All the best

O

World camo..........well your guess is as good as mine. Prices have skyrocketed lately without any reason. There appears to be a new breed of collector who has DEEP pockets and a desire to win auctions without regard to the end price. Most of these buyers appear to be young and live outside the US. I wish I had an explanation, but I don't. The only thing I can figure is that it has something to do with instant gratification rather than waiting for another piece to come along that is better priced. The same thing appears to be happening with some US items as well. think.gif

It seems to be a certain few collectors who are driving the prices into orbit. Whatever the case, it has driven me almost completely out of world camo collecting. Who can afford to drop $700 for a camo uniform that was mass produced? Certainly not me.

bravo_2_zero
World camo..........well your guess is as good as mine. Prices have skyrocketed lately without any reason. There appears to be a new breed of collector who has DEEP pockets and a desire to win auctions without regard to the end price. Most of these buyers appear to be young and live outside the US. I wish I had an explanation, but I don't. The only thing I can figure is that it has something to do with instant gratification rather than waiting for another piece to come along that is better priced. The same thing appears to be happening with some US items as well. think.gif

It seems to be a certain few collectors who are driving the prices into orbit. Whatever the case, it has driven me almost completely out of world camo collecting. Who can afford to drop $700 for a camo uniform that was mass produced? Certainly not me.

I can agree with this. I sold a very used and sun bleached Australian DPCU set for over $200 to someone in Italy on eBay. You can buy the same set but the 2008 model new and tagged direct from Australia for less than $40 US.

Kammo Man,

I spotted this shirt on Ebay, I think it s made in the same pattern like yours, so with the badge, it could be a Thai made shirt. However, I don't know the era

Hope that help

post-1523-1217076354.jpg

post-1523-1217076360.jpg

bravo_2_zero
Kammo Man,

I spotted this shirt on Ebay, I think it s made in the same pattern like yours, so with the badge, it could be a Thai made shirt. However, I don't know the era

Hope that help

yep this is the one i was on about :D

Kammo Man,

Hope that help

I can't help with the era, the patch looks pretty recent, but the Thai writing states it is Thai Navy.

vintageproductions

The Thai one shown above is a rip-stop material, while KammoMan's is a heavy twill cut like a 50's Marine Corps fatigue shirt.

• 7 years later...

Hi

This pattern could be the one used during the Reconnaissance Jacket M2 tests made by 2d Force Recon Co in St Thomas from oct 6 to nov 10 1961 under project 42-58-O1J (5 dec 58) supervised by MCLFDC.

The M1 was tested in Camp Pendleton during 1960 by 1st and 2d Force Recon Co.

M2 modifications incorporated a new camo pattern and 2d Force Recon Co reported in nov 13 1961 that camouflage color sheme is excellent and blends well with natural terrain and vegetation

Unfortunatly the only view I have from this report is very poor ?

attachicon.gifM2_Recon_Jacket.jpg

I hope these datas will help you in your research

Best

Croc

Great picture and report