50's(?) USMC Experimental Camo Uniform

vintageproductions

vintageproductions

usmcexp1.jpgusmcexp2.jpgusmcexp3.jpgWe just picked up this great set of Marine Corps experimental camo uniform. It is made from the 50's HBT "Gomer Pyle" type fatigues. The three colors of the camo look like they were heavily put on with a thick ink / paint via screen. The Marine also has his name stencilled in various locations throught the uniform. From what little we can find out on these is there is also another type that was used which had more browns and tans in the printed pattern. One collector referred to these as a "elephant ear" pattern. The person we bought these from also had a helmet cover but would not under any conditions, let go of it. Would love to find out any other information, that any one may have on this odd set. If it helps, it came out of the San Diego area, so was probably tested at Camp Pendelton at one time. Thanks in advance.

The first photos are of the blouse:

vintageproductions
usmcexp4.jpgusmcexp5.jpgHere are the photos of the trousers. Tried to load them earlier but for some reason they did not take.

Wow thats nice!!!! w00t.gif I wonder if there is some documentation out there somewhere on these amazing experimental camos? Too bad you couldn't get the camo helmet cover....did you get to see it, was it constructed like the WWII issue cover or was it like that cool experimental cover on page 142 in Steel Pots?

craig_pickrall

In the Report on ERDL Camo testing they tried many patterns of camo and other uniforms, both US and Brit. One of the uniforms tested was a USMC experimental uniform made of Mitchell pattern material. Those were made in both shirt and trouser sets as well as smocks. The intended use was for Scout / Sniper or Recon. Perhaps this set was part of the USMC tests that produced those uniform items. It would have been from the right time period.

vintageproductions

Thank you for the answers. On the photo of the cover on page 142 of Steel Pots, I don't believe this is what it looks like. The way the perosn decribed it to me was a green cover that has the same type heavy roller printing as the uniform. About the theory of the items being done with the 1948 testing of ERDL, maybe, but this is definately made and cut identical to the last type HBT uniform before they went to the sateens. It vaguely resembles a Mitchell pattern, but you have to look really hard to see that. Thanks again for the input.

craig_pickrall

As a follow on to the 1948 ERDL testing: The Mitchell pattern came out in about 1952 or 53 and it was in the test report. The "new" design HBT uniform also came out in 1952 or 53. It may be the 48 test lasted a bit longer and these early 50's items had time to get involved or maybe the design is older that 52 / 53 and just put into production in that time frame.

Greg Robinson
As a follow on to the 1948 ERDL testing: The Mitchell pattern came out in about 1952 or 53 and it was in the test report. The "new" design HBT uniform also came out in 1952 or 53. It may be the 48 test lasted a bit longer and these early 50's items had time to get involved or maybe the design is older that 52 / 53 and just put into production in that time frame.

The Marine Corps produced a Mitchell pattern shelter half in 1953....or at least that's the contract date. But they didn't produce a Mitchell pattern helmet cover until 1959. I assume they wanted to use up all those WW2 pattern camouflage covers that had been produced in 1953.

Greg

craig_pickrall

I agree with the dates you mention. There is a Mitchell pattern uniform shown and discussed in the report on the ERDL camo pattern however. The original ERDL tests was conducted in 1948. When the need for a new camo uniform was determined during Vietnam this "old" ERDL pattern was dusted off and a new report on the findings was produced in 1965. I'm not sure now, without re-reading that boring and long report, whether the Mitchell pattern uniform was part of the original 48 pattern test or whether the test was updated and expanded in 1965. If the Mitchell pattern and the uniform design both existed in 1948 then it is some 5 years earlier that originally thought. There is no doubt that both existed in 1965.

• 10 months later...

This is indeed a very Rare pattern.

I have seen another set other than this so at least 2 sets are out there.

The camouflage scheme is not Vat dyed but seems to be hand screened much like SS plain tree pattern.

The ink is thick.

I have handled a brown or fall color pattern many years ago .

I might have some pix of that in a box somewhere.

With the cut of this suit its gotta be in the late 50s timeframe .

Overall a stunning set .

Thanks for being so kind for letting us see your find.

o

Hi

This pattern could be the one used during the Reconnaissance Jacket M2 tests made by 2d Force Recon Co in St Thomas from oct 6 to nov 10 1961 under project 42-58-O1J (5 dec 58) supervised by MCLFDC.

The M1 was tested in Camp Pendleton during 1960 by 1st and 2d Force Recon Co.

M2 modifications incorporated a new camo pattern and 2d Force Recon Co reported in nov 13 1961 that camouflage color sheme is excellent and blends well with natural terrain and vegetation

Unfortunatly the only view I have from this report is very poor ?

post-1289-1212443366.jpg

I hope these datas will help you in your research

Best

Croc

Wow

Thank you very much!!!!

I have never seen or heard of this report before .

That is the suit for sure .

Any mention of the brown scheme?

All the best

o

The cammo pattern is similar, but its hard to tell with the pic.

The cut of the coat is very different. It has a hood and the chest pockets are angled with pres studs and a placket.

The uniform Vintage productions has introduced us to maybe the The M1 was tested in Camp Pendleton during 1960 by 1st and 2d Force Recon Co. that is mentioned in Croc's report.

Thanks for showing us the uniforms Vintage productions w00t.gif

Thanks for sharing the information Croc thumbsup.gif

Hi

Yes you are right about the cut .

The pockets are different indeed .

I have a feeling the hood is a button on type ?

In my opinion the cammo is the same.

Just like today I am sure there was more than one cut.

Ideas please.

Who is the biggest USMC collectior out there ?

Can he step foward with some hard info on this problem.

o.

craig_pickrall

I'm not sure from the pics if this is part of the same grouping or a completely different set of uniforms but still interesting.

post-5-1212517025.jpg

post-5-1212517031.jpg

post-5-1212517036.jpg

Good work CROC.

Thanks for opening up your files on this one.

We have been aware of this pattern for around 8 years but never have been able to place it .So there must have been 2 cuts if I read the report right .

In 2 findings fig 2 we see that the hood was indeed removable.

I wonder how many sets were made in the end??

Like I said I have seen a Brown scheme in this pattern, did I miss something and fail to see that in the report ?

Once again thank you for helping in this camouflage question.

ps

I think the SEAL shot is classic Duckhunter but the use of the hood in the up position is indeed very cool.

Any chance of a close up of the Vintage Productions collar , to look for those elusive buttons???

Maybee ??

Maybee not

It is a different cut after all .

Sweet

o

vintageproductions

expback.JPG

Here is a back shot of the collar. There have never been any buttons on it. Cool info no matter what.

So no one out there cares aout this uniform

Lack of comments does not necessarily mean that no one cares. The number of views my members alone shows people are obviously interested.

However, I would guess most are like me and really know nothing about this rare piece or other pieces mentioned. We are therefore left only admire the pictures and read the history (and anxiously wait for additional information to come to light).