Can you ID this VN era Japanese made CAT #1 patch

I have had this patch for at least 15 years and have never known what it was. It is definitely Japanese made but that's about all I know for sure. For whatever reason I kind of thought it might be US Navy related, but that is simply a guess. Any ides on this one? Thank you much!

post-2744-1276049476.jpg

vintageproductions

This is a shot in the dark but it might be related to Naval Forces Vietnam Construction Action Teams. They usually marked them CAT or NAVCAT and then a number. Most all their patches I have seen are usually Japanese made.

This one has the Tiger, I think his name was Kahn, from the Disney movie The Jungle Book, so that will put in at the earliest 1967.

I have no clue what your patch is, but here is a pictorial reference for what Bob is talking about. The left is Vietnamese hand embroidered, the other two are Japanese made.

post-2063-1276088462.jpg

I have had this patch for at least 15 years and have never known what it was. It is definitely Japanese made but that's about all I know for sure. For whatever reason I kind of thought it might be US Navy related, but that is simply a guess. Any ides on this one? Thank you much!

I think it is more likely a jacket patch for the catapult crew of "Cat 1" from an aircraft carrier. These sorts of patches were commonly made up by assorted crews and teams on Pacific Fleet ships as they were extreamly cheap to have made and they were quickly produced. You could generally pick them up within two days of placing the order depending on how many you wanted. I had eleven patches made up for my guys on the ST. Louis in Subic in the time it took for me to have a beer in the bar next door to the shop. As I was finishing the beer, a kid from the shop brought me the patches. Any way, I'm going for jacket patch from an aircraft Catapult crew.

Steve Hesson

• 6 years later...