What is it??

Jim Baker

Jack's Son

Jim,

I know you're a "track man", but I like it better flipped 180 degrees.

Don't know if there is an 89th Communication unit, but that's my guess. :dunno: :laughing1:

For starters, it looks like it dates from the early 1920's. With that being said, I am inclinded to agree with Jack's Son. Traditionally, the lightening bolts usually pertain to .... radio operator's... if my memory serves me right.

mortaydc60
For starters, it looks like it dates from the early 1920's. With that being said, I am inclinded to agree with Jack's Son. Traditionally, the lightening bolts usually pertain to .... radio operator's... if my memory serves me right.

If not mistaken this was once up on Manion's auction. Still have no clue to ID. Mort

If not mistaken this was once up on Manion's auction. Still have no clue to ID. Mort

This has bothered me for awhile as to ID of this patch. After some internet searching I think I may have the answer.The 68th armored regiment Short history;constituted Oct 1933 as 68th infantry regiment(light tank) and redesignated july1940 as Co G,68th armored regiment and assigned to 2nd armor divison.The construction of the patch seems to fit in with the time period. What do others think? Mort

• 3 weeks later...

1930s light tank unit ... seems plausible.

But isn't the patch upside down?

That "6" sure looks more like a "9" and the "8"'s top looks fatter.

So it might be the 89th something something?

Erwin

Garth Thompson

I saw this one up for auction and immediately thought it wasn't even US but had all the signs of being a British unit patch.

Garth

• 9 years later...

This one has popped up again. Any new info out there??

It is currently advertised as described earlier by Mort.

post-78-0-96847400-1584295051_thumb.jpg

For sure upside down. The base of the lightning bolt is at the top and no doubt about it the numbers are upside down.

For sure upside down. The base of the lightning bolt is at the top and no doubt about it the numbers are upside down.

I see what you are saying and agree...Kat

Every armor triangle I have ever seen has the bolt (pointed end) headed down to the ground. So do all the 7th Mech Bde patches (same time frame), so does the the 25th ID and am sure there are many more.

It's the 68th-something-or-other.

Every armor triangle I have ever seen has the bolt (pointed end) headed down to the ground. So do all the 7th Mech Bde patches (same time frame), so does the the 25th ID and am sure there are many more.

It's the 68th-something-or-other.

Now I see what you are saying! This is all very confusing. I can see why this has had people stumped for 10 years!

...Kat

greendevilsix

A patch just like the one pictured is currently being offered on eBay as the 68th Infantry Regiment, Light Tank. It is also mentioned that it is pre WWII. Perhaps the seller has additional knowledge on the ID. Offered only as information on a possible ID.

What is wrong with my original ID? The idea that it is upside down is not correct but nice thinking outside the box but still wrong by rules of heraldry.

There is nothing wrong with your ID and it makes perfect since but although an educated guess it is still a guess. To my way of thinking until the definitive proof is found it is still opened to discussion and you may well be proven right in the end.