Question for modern day chopper jocks

ripeold f*rt

ripeold f*rt

The Viet Nam era Assault Helicopter Co. had 30 aircraft, two platoons of 10 slicks and a gun platoon of 8 with 1 maintenance ship and one Hq ship which was rare because we were always short. Each company supported a brigade. We served the infantry and had a standing claim that our gunships could be airborne and in radio contact in 3 minutes when they needed us.

How does this stack up with what we have today?

ROF

hawkdriver
The Viet Nam era Assault Helicopter Co. had 30 aircraft, two platoons of 10 slicks and a gun platoon of 8 with 1 maintenance ship and one Hq ship which was rare because we were always short. Each company supported a brigade. We served the infantry and had a standing claim that our gunships could be airborne and in radio contact in 3 minutes when they needed us.

How does this stack up with what we have today?

ROF

12 ship companies pure. Three lift companies per battalion and then the Brigade typically has two assault battalions, one gun battalion, and a GSAB that has one company of hawks, one medevac, and one Chinook medium lift. With one AVIM battalion. This is called a Combat Aviation Brigade. There is no direct assignment, but units can be farmed out as necessary to serve whatever unit is in need. As for response time, equipment is a little more complicated and takes longer to spool up, but we have much greater flexibility for on station due to rapid refuel and night fighting capability.

I flew Hueys and as you said, much quicker start up, but with the avionics packages, FLIR, and other C&C capabilities, much greater capability to support the ground guys today. I loved flying a Huey because it took a pilot to fly it. The Hawk pretty much flies itself, you are more of a systems manager these days than a pilot.

Hawk, great analogy of the modern cab. I couldnt have described it better myself. Hope all is well over there. My old unit is back over there, Im sure you hear them on Coalition traffic, lol.

Brandon

Actually, my carcass is still parked at "The Great Place" waiting to go over. I won't get to Kuwait until the first week of July and then a couple weeks there. Our CAB will be the 12th until they leave and then we fall under the 1st Infantry.

By the way, I'm stealing your UH-60 .gif. Just remember, plagerism is the sincearest form of flattery!

Actually, my carcass is still parked at "The Great Place" waiting to go over. I won't get to Kuwait until the first week of July and then a couple weeks there. Our CAB will be the 12th until they leave and then we fall under the 1st Infantry.

By the way, I'm stealing your UH-60 .gif. Just remember, plagerism is the sincearest form of flattery!

After 4 months at Hood I could not figure out why they called it the great place. Any idea where in Iraq you will be? Basrah? Tallil?

Mike

After 4 months at Hood I could not figure out why they called it the great place. Any idea where in Iraq you will be? Basrah? Tallil?

Mike

Cobrahistorian

Attack units have gone through a pretty significant transformation in recent years. We're now classified as "Attack Reconnaissance Battalions" comprised of 3 Line Companies of 8 aircraft (2 platoons of 4).

Jon

(Headed out to the range in the morning to put rockets and 30mm downrange!)

The Aviation Brigade described is the NON-Divisional type, and "full-up" at that. What does a Divisional Avn Bde consist of these days?

Cobrahistorian
The Aviation Brigade described is the NON-Divisional type, and "full-up" at that. What does a Divisional Avn Bde consist of these days?

Combat Aviation Brigades are all standardized nowadays. 1 attack battalion, 1 GSAB (General Support Aviation Battalion) and 1 Air Assault Battalion.

Spathologist
Combat Aviation Brigades are all standardized nowadays. 1 attack battalion, 1 GSAB (General Support Aviation Battalion) and 1 Air Assault Battalion.

You still have at least one Divisional aviation brigade, the 1st ACB.

And there's still a RAS out there, the 4/3. At least for another month....

Cobrahistorian
You still have at least one Divisional aviation brigade, the 1st ACB.

And there's still a RAS out there, the 4/3. At least for another month....

True, I did forget about 4/3. Didn't realize they were "transforming" too. So the Big Red One's Aviation Brigade hasn't become a CAB yet?

True, I did forget about 4/3. Didn't realize they were "transforming" too. So the Big Red One's Aviation Brigade hasn't become a CAB yet?

I believe so, they are in Iraq now, that is who we are going to end up falling under, the attack battalion. Go figure.

Spathologist

4/3 will be reflagged at the end of July to the 1/229th and fall under the 16th CAB; it will retain the assault troop as an assault company and remain at Ft. Hood until the unit is physically consolidated into the CAB at some future date.

Don't know about the Big Red One's aviation brigade; the 1st Air Cavalry Brigade (ACB) belongs to the 1st Cavalry Division.

Cobrahistorian
4/3 will be reflagged at the end of July to the 1/229th and fall under the 16th CAB; it will retain the assault troop as an assault company and remain at Ft. Hood until the unit is physically consolidated into the CAB at some future date.

Don't know about the Big Red One's aviation brigade; the 1st Air Cavalry Brigade (ACB) belongs to the 1st Cavalry Division.

Oops. :pinch:

Oops. :pinch:

[/quote

Jon, dont feel bad I thought the same thing!! I was about to say we were a CAB in 07 when I deployed as 1st CAB!! lol

Brandon

Cobrahistorian

Var,

They're uncasing 1/229th's colors again? They just cased them a couple years ago and reflagged the unit as 3/3 Avn!

Spathologist
Var,

They're uncasing 1/229th's colors again? They just cased them a couple years ago and reflagged the unit as 3/3 Avn!

Yep. Lots of shuffling around these days.