1st model Molle rig

jgawne

Ok, I finally found a good Molle vest with t he belt with the very funky plastic back bit that the fram slips into. I have the fram and also a (mint!) back for it, but am still missing the proper straps. (If anyone has any??)

molle-I.jpg

Did anyone here ever ever wear this rig in the Army? I am curious what your impressions of it were. Supposedly it was a bad design, but I'd like to get any first hand comments. I assume it was just a pain to get the back off, but from what I can tell the theory is you drop the straps, then let the pack fall 90' back and it pops out. Was the problem more that it was impossible to put back on?

Linedoggie

It Blows, the pack attachment caused back injuries both when wearing the pack and during IMT when landing on the socket system. The Front straps attached to the Belt were a real POS too. A Later version had the socket removed but still had the other issues on the front of the FLC.

I have the later varient belt.

BUt if anyone actually did wear these in service I'd still liketo hear specific stories. (thinking for down the line).

I mean were the injuries much different than if you have some other big hard item stapped to you?

The other problem with the pack is that the pack needed that plastic cup to sit in, without it, the pack was just a rock hanging off your shoulders. The pack was designed to rotate and fall away, but after awhile, the knuckle would break off and then the entire system was useless. It was a good design concept, but sucked in the real life evaluation.