Balfour Wings- real?

jetteraf

These were the second of two purchases I made on a whim on E-Bay before realizing how prolific the faking of wings is. From feedback here it looks like I did OK on the first purchase, and these arrived today and I wanted to get opinions.

They came from a seller that didn't deal in militaria of any sort, and it looked like she picked up a couple sets of wings somewhere. The pin has a cam stop and is quite soft. The pictures are a little deceiving, the back is actually fairly smooth and the stampings are crisp. I am concerned that the edges of the back look polished, and don't have the ragged ridge that stamped items have.

So, are they real, or did I get a $30 lesson in doing my homework?

post-12383-1275963861.jpg

post-12383-1275963916.jpg

post-12383-1275963978.jpg

These were the second of two purchases I made on a whim on E-Bay before realizing how prolific the faking of wings is. From feedback here it looks like I did OK on the first purchase, and these arrived today and I wanted to get opinions.

They came from a seller that didn't deal in militaria of any sort, and it looked like she picked up a couple sets of wings somewhere. The pin has a cam stop and is quite soft. The pictures are a little deceiving, the back is actually fairly smooth and the stampings are crisp. I am concerned that the edges of the back look polished, and don't have the ragged ridge that stamped items have.

So, are they real, or did I get a $30 lesson in doing my homework?

they look good! :thumbsup:

P. Frost

John Cooper
they look good! :thumbsup:

P. Frost

Jetteraf - please ignore the heathens - that wing does not look good... it looks GREAT!!!!!!

John

PS please take note of my AVATAR.

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I lucked out- two auctions without really knowing what to look for and I came out all right.

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I lucked out- two auctions without really knowing what to look for and I came out all right.

Nice wings. Some badges were trimmed, filed, then had the edges polished so well it's hard to see the striations of the stamping. This is especially true of some of the better "name" brands. The fact that you didn't get them from a militaria dealer almost always bodes well for an item, most of the ripoff pieces are sold by them. I'd say you do know what to look for.