WW1 2nd Div., 2nd Eng., 1st Batt.

Alonzo

Just picked this up.

Very nice group.

2nd Division, 2nd Engineers, 1st battalion.

There is a faint name on the back of the gas mask carrier...appears to be Caldwell, with a 6 digit number.

Interesting in that the gas mask carrier is painted on the back not on the front, plus there are two fellows listed by the name of Caldwell on the 2nd Engineers website. I think one is listed as being killed, yet both are listed as from the first battalion

The Group

2ndEngGrp-11.jpg

Helmet and Gas Mask Carrier

2ndEngGrp-3.jpg

Back of Gas Mask Carrier

2ndEngGrp-8.jpg

Helmet Detail

2ndEngGrp-13.jpg

Patch detail

2ndEngGrp-16.jpg

FWIW.....the gas mask is painted the correct way for wearing it.

You wear the box respirator in the "ready" position, which is just as you have it; with flap open and folded down, so the mask is easy to grab.

You pull the canvas strap down to the middle of your back and lay it flat so it makes a V shape, put the string through it, and tie it securely to the D-ring on the other side of the bag.

This makes it snug against your body.

Croix de Guerre
Just picked this up.

Very nice group.

There is a faint name on the back of the gas mask carrier...appears to be Caldwell, with a 6 digit number.

Interesting in that the gas mask carrier is painted on the back not on the front, plus there are two fellows listed by the name of Caldwell on the 2nd Engineers website. I think one is listed as being killed, yet both are listed as from the first battalion

The Group

2ndEngGrp-11.jpg

2ndEngGrp-3.jpg

Back of Gas Mask Carrier

2ndEngGrp-8.jpg

Helmet Detail

2ndEngGrp-13.jpg

Patch detail

2ndEngGrp-16.jpg

Very, very nice group! That 2nd Div stuff is always cool! :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing it with us!

• 4 months later...
Military Engineer

Alonzo,

The unit history for the 2nd Engineers lists a Private James E Caldwell as being KIA. Later it lists a Bulger Verne V. Caldwell as bing awarded the Croix-de-Guerre.

Alonzo,

The unit history for the 2nd Engineers lists a Private James E Caldwell as being KIA. Later it lists a Bulger Verne V. Caldwell as bing awarded the Croix-de-Guerre.

I am leaning towards Verne as the lettering lends itself more to the "V" rather then a "J" or "E".

The group has been posted on the 2nd Engineer website as well.

Thanks for your input!!!

• 10 months later...
Just picked this up.

Very nice group.

The Group

2ndEngGrp-11.jpg

2ndEngGrp-3.jpg

Back of Gas Mask Carrier

2ndEngGrp-8.jpg

Helmet Detail

2ndEngGrp-13.jpg

Patch detail

2ndEngGrp-16.jpg

From "The Official History of The 2nd Engineers"

CROIX DE GUERRE (With Silver Star) ORDER OF THE DIVISION

Bugler VERNE V. CALDWELL, No. 156678, Company "C," 2nd Engineers: On October 8th and 9th, 1918, while acting as runner, he carried messages continually through a heavy barrage of artillery, between the Company P. C. and Battalion P. C. and between units on the right and left of the company. (Order No. 13,372 "D"—Division—).

CROIX DE GUERRE (With Bronze Star) ORDER OF THE BRIGADE

Bugler VERNE V. CALDWELL, Company "C," 2nd Engineers: On July 19, 1918, near VIERZY, he showed great bravery and devotion to duty in carrying wounded under heavy shellfire. (Order No. 15,253 "D"—Brigade—).

Very nice grouping!

Regards,

Mitch Ryder

2nd Engineers web site

I am leaning towards Verne as the lettering lends itself more to the "V" rather then a "J" or "E".

The group has been posted on the 2nd Engineer website as well.

Thanks for your input!!!

Verne is probably the best bet since all of the insignia was added post war or perhaps very late. (He would have had to have been alive to wear it!)

• 2 years later...

Outstanding grouping. My great great grandmother's brother, Henry Pearsall, was in Company C of the 2nd Engineers. He was gassed near Belleau Wood I believe and died from illness as a result of being gassed in 1936. I have a photo and post cards, would love to have something like a uniform.

post-10495-0-30897400-1385613602.jpg