WW1 Purple heart from the 15th Machine gun Battalion

Raidercollector

Raidercollector

Here is another grouping I have just required. I thought I would share with you guys.And here some thoughts on this. Also I wonder why he did not have his machine gun patch on his tunic. Or officers did not where the patch.Any who. Here it goes. This guy was a 2nd LT in the 5th division His name is George M. Dorwart.Wounded Sept 12 1918 while serving with the 15th machine gun Battalion company C. I have his uni forum and pants and hat. His Victory medal with St Mihiel,Defense sector bars. His bible with name in it ,His 60th infantry diary to the machine gun Co. And some miscellaneous pins. Nothing humped up. This came together. Very tuff to find like this. I hope you guys injoy it.

Raidercollector
post-421-1185118757.jpg
Here is another grouping I have just required. I thought I would share with you guys.And here some thoughts on this. Also I wonder why he did not have his machine gun patch on his tunic. Or officers did not where the patch.Any who. Here it goes. This guy was a 2nd LT in the 5th division His name is George M. Dorwart.Wounded Sept 12 1918 while serving with the 15th machine gun Battalion company C. I have his uni forum and pants and hat. His Victory medal with St Mihiel,Defense sector bars. His bible with name in it ,His 60th infantry diary to the machine gun Co. And some miscellaneous pins. Nothing humped up. This came together. Very tuff to find like this. I hope you guys injoy it.

I wouldn't sweat the lack of certain patches or insignia too much, there are quite a number of reasons why they may not ever have ben on there. Great group though, and yep, very tough to find them with a uniform AND the medals, and the book to boot! Nice nice nice! Mike

Raidercollector
Exactly what "machine gun patch" are you referring to not being on the coat (it's not a tunic, it's a coat)?

Well

I don't really know. I was just asking if they wore them. The marines did. And the Tunic that I Referred to. You call it a coat ,could it also be a jacket. I never had anyone tell me that.?

Nick

CNY Militaria

The US never wore "Tunics"....Coat or jacket is the term or even uniform or blouse. However, Tunic is used to mean the same thing, even though its not 100% correct. Its just nomenclature, it bothers some, but if everyone knows what it means, it not a big deal.

Great group! Is there a wound chevron on the right sleeve?

Raidercollector
The US never wore "Tunics"....Coat or jacket is the term or even uniform or blouse. However, Tunic is used to mean the same thing, even though its not 100% correct. Its just nomenclature, it bothers some, but if everyone knows what it means, it not a big deal.

Great group! Is there a wound chevron on the right sleeve?

Schottzie

Here is a photo of his wound stripe

Nick

post-421-1185588118.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The term "tunic" is a British term for a uniform coat. I believe that the Canadians, and other British influenced countries use this same nomenclature as well.

Chris

I also wanted to point out that the only "machine gun patch" that I can think of, would be the different varations of division patches. An example would be the 92nd Infantry Division. The black bufalo would indicate HQB, or am MG unit. A different color of the same design would indicate something else. (Artillery, etc)

Chris

Was just looking through my new 5th Division PH group which has the 5th Div unit history, and Lt. Dorwat was wounded on the first day of the St Mihiel Operation (12-17 Sep 1918) and was one of three officers of the 15th MGB that was wounded during St Mihiel (one other was KIA). Total casualties from the 15th MGB for St Mihiel were 35 KIA and 80 WIA.

Still an awesome group.... if you ever need cash, consider it sold. :D:D

Dave

tunic: A long, plain, close-fitting jacket, usually having a stiff high collar and worn as part of a uniform.

Looks like you're in the clear- And if we only want to use nomenclature, can't call it a jacket because those are for field items, and a jump jacket may only be referred to as coat, parachute, jumper. No saying ammo or any short hand like that either.

How about we just not be rediculous by trying to point out useless minutea to make ourselves look smarter and worry about the neat pieces of history that are being posted? thumbsup.gif

Kyle

Charlie Company, 1-502 AAIR 2BCT 101st A/B Div AASLT