World War One American Field Service Drivers Cap

Croix de Guerre

Croix de Guerre

I've been collecting WWI American Field Service artifacts for a while now and I have been fortunate to have found some really nice AFS groups. The one thing that has eluded me for what ever reason was a classic "Old England" style drivers hat; until now.

This is an American Field Service drivers hat ID'd to a man from Section 1 as can be seen from the French numeral attached to the front of the cap above the AFS eagle. The practice of identifying one's section affiliation with the use of French numbers was not "standard" practice, but was not entirely uncommon either. Although there are no tailors labels or markings present on the hat, it is of the style commonly associated with hats manufactured by a Parisian tailor named "Old England" which was a favorite amongst the American volunteers.

post-3356-1275868018.jpg

Croix de Guerre
I've been collecting WWI American Field Service artifacts for a while now and I have been fortunate to have found some really nice AFS groups. The one thing that has eluded me for what ever reason was a classic "Old England" style drivers hat; until now.

This is an American Field Service drivers hat ID'd to a man from Section 1 as can be seen from the French numeral attached to the front of the cap above the AFS eagle. The practice of identifying one's section affiliation with the use of French numbers was not "standard" practice, but was not entirely uncommon either. Although there are no tailors labels or markings present on the hat, it is of the style commonly associated with hats manufactured by a Parisian tailor named "Old England" which was a favorite amongst the American volunteers.

Side View

post-3356-1275868171.jpg

Croix de Guerre

A close up of the American Field Service hat badge emblazoned with the French motto, "Service Aux Armee"; (Service With the Army). Note how the tips of the wings on the badge are tacked down to prevent them from snagging or as a result of the attachement wires on the back having become broken.

post-3356-1275868268.jpg

Croix de Guerre
A close up of the American Field Service hat badge emblazoned with the French motto, "Service Aux Armee"; (Service With the Army). Note how the tips of the wings on the badge are tacked down to prevent them from snagging or as a result of the attachement wires on the back having become broken.

post-3356-1275868343.jpg

Croix de Guerre

Inside view

post-3356-1275868444.jpg

Croix de Guerre

A trio of drivers caps. The first hat to the left is identified to a man named "Burkhart" who worked out of the American Hospital at Neuilly, France. Burkhart still remains a mystery to me as I have been unable to find any information about him. This style of hat and hat badge roughly reflects the time period of 1916. The cap in the middle is the SSU 1 hat above. The hat to the right illustrates the final version as it was owned by a late war volunteer name Vail who purchased this hat in the US from a tailor in New York City. It is essentially a US Army enlisted man’s cap put to use as an AFS drivers cap. Vail never served in the AFS as the Field Service was federalized by the US Army while he was aboard ship enroute to France.

post-3356-1275868547.jpg

Tom, these are so rare that I'm absolutely floored that you were able to put these beautiful caps together. I'm sure that most collectors are not even aware that Americans were serving in WWI before the U.S. officially got involved. You can be proud!

normaninvasion

I imagine these are "hens teeth" scarce. Really great and rewarding field of collecting, must be damn hard to come by these items.

BigJohn#3RD

Outstanding collection of WWI American Field Service Driver Caps. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Can you post more pictures of your collection? Thank You for Sharing.

Regards,

John

Croix de Guerre
Outstanding collection of WWI American Field Service Driver Caps. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Can you post more pictures of your collection? Thank You for Sharing.

Regards,

John

Thanks for the kind words John, here are some links to some of my earlier posts.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...c=73505&hl=

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...c=65225&hl=

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...c=22013&hl=

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...c=21624&hl=

Croix de Guerre

Here is a photo of an American Field Service volunteer named Clifford Smith wearing the same style of hat.

post-3356-1275876535.jpg

post-3356-1275876542.jpg

Croix de Guerre
I imagine these are "hens teeth" scarce. Really great and rewarding field of collecting, must be damn hard to come by these items.

Thanks for the comment Norm',,yes they are very hard to come by. There were only 2000 or so AFS volunteers so I have really painted myself into a corner metaphorically speaking, but when you do pick up a piece it really means a lot.

Croix de Guerre
Tom, these are so rare that I'm absolutely floored that you were able to put these beautiful caps together. I'm sure that most collectors are not even aware that Americans were serving in WWI before the U.S. officially got involved. You can be proud!

Thanks Scott, Glad to see you back! You are getting a little long in the tooth to be playing "Evel Knievel" aren't you?? :lol:

Here are some more AFS hats,,,,

post-3356-1276131697.jpg

Croix de Guerre
Tom, Really a steller hat/hats. - Glad you finally secured one!

Best, DJ

Thanks Dennis, me too! Now on to the next "fix"! :lol: