USN WWII M41 style deck jacket

Bob Hudson

Hello

Sorry for being late to this conversation, not sure what I have to contribute, but I'll try. I Served in the US Navy from 1989 till 1993. I was posted to a Fighter Squadron (VF-302) in 1990. Sometime in late 1990 or very early 1991 I was issued my "Foul Weather Coat", they were issued by the organization a person was assigned to, unlike other clothing that were issued in Boot Camp. When the person transfered out of the unit, they had to turn in the jacket to unit store keepers.

The jacket I was issued was the type that was posted in Post 24, the Olive Drab jacket with the side tab adjusters. It just so happened that I was one of the very last in my squadron to be issued the "older" Olive Drab jacket, because all the new blokes after me got issued a newer Blue coloured jacket that was slightly heavier and had a velcro fastened flap over the front zipper. The newer blue foul weather coat came out in the early 1990s, but like many Services around the World, the "older" people wore the older type clothing/equipment for as long as they could. I wore the older Olive Drab Foul Weather Coat all the way through my time in the Service till 1993. Because I was issued an "obsolete" jacket I got to keep mine when my hitch was over.

I still have the jacket, but it is stashed away with my Sea Bag and contents at my Dad's place. If I ever dig it out in the near future, I"ll post a photo, not that it is a big deal, because the title of this topic is about a WWII Jacket LOL.

Thanks

Mark