108th Recon Group Artwork

bobgee

Duplicate posting at the request of DisneyDave. I bought the attached original Disney design artwork up east at a Militaria Show many years ago. Vendor said it came from the estate of a former Squadron cdr. The unit is an old outfit from the Illinois N.G. I believe this design was done just before WW2. In the book "Disney Goes to War" there is a photo of Disney staff artist Hank Porter creating a variation of the insignia I have. The art paper Porter is working on appears the same size as the one I own. Neither that design nor the one with the "108" numbers were approved, probably due to security measures. The final accepted rendition features the same eagle with telescope standing on a mountain. Enjoy.....Bob

IMG_0045.jpg

Disney_Artist_Hank_Porter.jpg

Thanks for reposting that Bob.

The original design was created in January 1941 for an unknown unit. When the design was either declined or unclaimed, the illustration was offered to the 108th.

The image was used in several different Disney Studio publicity photos and ranks as design number six of over 1,100 that would eventually be created during WW II.

The attached image of the New York Times newspaper cartoon also appeared in early 1941.

blog_108.JPG

Thanks for reposting that Bob.

The original design was created in January 1941 for an unknown unit. When the design was either declined or unclaimed, the illustration was offered to the 108th.

The image was used in several different Disney Studio publicity photos and ranks as design number six of over 1,100 that would eventually be created during WW II.

The attached image of the New York Times newspaper cartoon also appeared in early 1941.

blog_108.JPG

DD - Great Mickey Mouse!!!!! Have never seen it before.

Have a couple more I'll be posting.......Bob

Here's a Disney Studio publicity photo in my collection that shows Hank Porter with the design and an unidentifed serviceman.

blog_picture_edited.JPG

Here's a Disney Studio publicity photo in my collection that shows Hank Porter with the design and an unidentifed serviceman.

blog_picture_edited.JPG

Thanks.....lookks like it was taken at the same time as the photo in the book.

P.S. I just another original board.

Regards.......Bob

Bob...I'd like more info on the book "Disney Goes to War." I've never heard of it before and I've been collecting vintage Disney for over 20 years and Disney war related for over 10 years. I have a HUGE Disney reference library and would like to add that title.

Thanks...

Bob...I'd like more info on the book "Disney Goes to War." I've never heard of it before and I've been collecting vintage Disney for over 20 years and Disney war related for over 10 years. I have a HUGE Disney reference library and would like to add that title.

Thanks...

OOOPS! I'm a fountain of misinformation. I refer, of course, to "Disney Dons Dog Tags" . So much for my computer-like brain! Sorry for the confusion. Next time I;ll check my references!

P.S. I have another neat Disney item being an actual part of a USMC F4F 'Wildcat' that has the VMF-212 insignia painted on it. Have an original photo of the actual aircraft with insignia. Plane was destroyed on the ground at Guadalcanal and the crew chief salvaged this piece. He used it as a scoreboard for the squadron's pilots, victories and casualties. He personally gave it to me.

Bob

OOOPS! I'm a fountain of misinformation. I refer, of course, to "Disney Dons Dog Tags" . So much for my computer-like brain! Sorry for the confusion. Next time I;ll check my references!

P.S. I have another neat Disney item being an actual part of a USMC F4F 'Wildcat' that has the VMF-212 insignia painted on it. Have an original photo of the actual aircraft with insignia. Plane was destroyed on the ground at Guadalcanal and the crew chief salvaged this piece. He used it as a scoreboard for the squadron's pilots, victories and casualties. He personally gave it to me.

Bob

No problemo-o. Great book, but could have been so much more. I am trying to find a publisher for my book, tenatively titled: "Cartoon Crests of World War II - Disney Designs." I'm thinking it will run three or four volumes as there are around 1,200 designs to showcase.

Would love to see a photo of the piece of the Wildcat - how cool is that!!!!!

If you ever want to part with any of your Disney stuff, please keep me in mind!

If you'd be interested in contributing to a possible Disney war exhibit at the Walt Disney Museum being built at the Presidio in San Fran, let me know. The Disney Family Foundation has contacted me about helping them out. I have a friend who owns around 3 dozen pices of original art and over 2 dozen authentic Disney WW II patches that may participate. The exhibit would be covered by insurance and state of the art security...I'm in tenative discussions with them right now.

Great info on this thread!!!!

I am trying to find a publisher for my book, tenatively titled: "Cartoon Crests of World War II - Disney Designs." I'm thinking it will run three or four volumes as there are around 1,200 designs to showcase.

I can't wait until that comes out! I find these threads in this section very fascinating!