Uniforms

36-tex

The family and I made a run north across the border into South Dakota today. Hit 6 antique shops. 5 of the 6 were nice, clean, organized, etc. The other one was a DUMP! Smelled bad, unorganized, and had three kittens running around. MY KIND OF PLACE! Here is what was in the corner. If anyone can find info on the guy, please advise. Also, how do I clean the leather on the visor cap? ENJOY!

post-98-1185063335.jpg

post-98-1185063349.jpg

post-98-1185063363.jpg

Here is what was listed on nara. I would write to them and see what info they have. Nice find thumbsup.gif

ARMY SERIAL NUMBER 17049336

NAME FRYDA#LEWIS#R###########

RESIDENCE: STATE 78 SOUTH DAKOTA

RESIDENCE: COUNTY 009 BON HOMME

PLACE OF ENLISTMENT 7435 FT SNELLING MINNESOTA

DATE OF ENLISTMENT DAY 16

DATE OF ENLISTMENT MONTH 02

DATE OF ENLISTMENT YEAR 42

GRADE: ALPHA DESIGNATION Private

BRANCH: ALPHA DESIGNATION BI# Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA

FIELD USE AS DESIRED # #

TERM OF ENLISTMENT 5 Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law

LONGEVITY ### ###

SOURCE OF ARMY PERSONNEL 0 Civil Life

NATIVITY 78 SOUTH DAKOTA

YEAR OF BIRTH 19

RACE AND CITIZENSHIP 1 White, citizen

EDUCATION 4 years of high school

CIVILIAN OCCUPATION 316 AUTOMOBILE SERVICEMAN

MARITAL STATUS 6 Single, without dependents

COMPONENT OF THE ARMY 6 Army of the United States - includes the following: Voluntary enlistments effective December 8, 1941 and thereafter; One year enlistments of National Guardsman whose State enlistment expires while in the Federal Service; Officers appointed in the Army of the United States under Army Regulations 605-10

CARD NUMBER #

BOX NUMBER 0244

FILM REEL NUMBER 2.101

As far as the leather - a damp cloth is all you need. I would leave the leather alone beyond that. That is one NICE AAF patch! I love it!!

Chris

Got da Penny

YoooooHoooo ...!!!! thumbsup.gif

Now thats what im "talkin bout". I am very impressed with your find.

Great Bullion..!!

Congrats, Carey

Agreed costa. My rule of thumb is pretty simple. If something is soiled, or just dusty from age/storage, a damp rag will clean an item up pretty well. When you start puting substances on your leather, or anything for that matter, you are altering the originality of the item in question. A lot of collectors, especially the "purests", will shy away from an item that has been treated. An exception would be, for instance, a Civil War cartridge box, where the leather is crazing and flaking with the slightest amount of handling. Sometimes, a treatment with a professional grade leather conservative, (Nothing you would buy in a hadware store) will do the trick. Just keep in mine, this is refered to as "preservation". In the case of your hat, I think it looks fine. A few defects from age are great earmarks of originality.

Chris

Personally I like the natural age marks on leather. They are something that can not be easily forged and believe me you will see the day when nice caps like that will replicated.

By the way that is a killer blouse. I would have whistled, hummed and grinned all the way home. thumbsup.gif:D

If thats Yankton I know what shop you probably bought it at. I have found some real gems there myself if we are talking about the same place