CMP M-1 Carbines by March 1st 2007

Nice and good tip there, Bryan. Do you use the dishwasher method on the woodwork aswell?

Regards

Stijn

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif
donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

Nice and good tip there, Bryan. Do you use the dishwasher method on the woodwork aswell?

Regards

Stijn

Hi Stijn,

Depends on how bad the stock is. If it's black with grease/grime, lots of dents, no large splits and no cartouches then yes it goes in the diswasher. You'll be amazed how it looks when it comes out.

Check out this website:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2006/d...ethod/index.asp

Regards,

Bryan

“There's not much I can tell you about this war. It's like all wars, I guess.The undertakers are winning.The politicians who talk about the glory of it.The old men who talk about the need of it.The soldiers, well, they just wanna go home.” Jimmy Stewart in Shenandoah

donation2007.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

Ok, we'll see!

I have a stock in the dishwasher right now :)

Thx for the info.

Stijn

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

I have done this method a few times myself and only one time I ever had a problem was on a stock for an SKS. The heat warped the stock to where it was almost impossible to get the receiver and barrel back in and it had also formed a crack in the stock. I am sure the ccrack had been there before and the heat just helped it out a bit. Other than that the technique has worked great for me as well.

Activly Selling All Items

All eras

VERY interested in M1 helmets, WWI victory medals, and I will do almost anything for real SOG gear or uniforms.

Email or PM with offers please.

Needing; Pin back CIB, two piece CIB, ANy odd CIB's, 41st Infantry Regiment DUI (old ones), 65th AFAB DUI

Please visit my website at DM1975.com

donation2007.gif

Ok, it's out of the dishwasher and looking very light in color.

What do you advise I use for the stock now, and where do I get it?

Regards

Stijn

What do you advise I use for the stock now, and where do I get it?

This is the process that I use:

1.)Rub the the whole stock with 000 steel wool to smooth the finish. I never use sandpaper BTW.

2.)Wipe the stock down with a clean towel to remove any left over steel wool/wood dust.

3.)***You can dye the stock with wood stain if you prefer for a darker finish. Alcohol based wood stains are best IMHO.*** However, the sealer in step #4 will darken the wooden some, so you may want to test that before using any wood stain.

4.)Next you will need to seal the wood with several coats of either Tung Oil or Linseed Oil. Most hardware stores or wood working shops carry these items here in the US and I'm sure you will find them in European stores also. I thin the linseed oil 50/50 with turpentine so it will penetrate the wood better. Brush it on the wood using heavy coats. After about 15 minutes I wipe it down and allow it to dry for a day. Repeat this two or three times more and you will be good to go.

5.) Once finished, buff the wood with a soft 100% cotton cloth to give it a light "sheen". You are now ready to reinstall on your weapon.

Here are a couple of sites that could possibly help you out.

http://www.swampworks.com/warships/Swampy&...inishing-1.html

http://www.jouster.com/Bulletin/refinishing.htm

http://www.jouster.com/Bulletin/TUNG.htm

“There's not much I can tell you about this war. It's like all wars, I guess.The undertakers are winning.The politicians who talk about the glory of it.The old men who talk about the need of it.The soldiers, well, they just wanna go home.” Jimmy Stewart in Shenandoah

bryan44, ahah the life of a single man eh, using the dishwasher to clean your woodwork in.

Now tell me again what was that trick that you do with the vacuum cleaner. ????

He He, Cheers Bryan ( Lewis )[/

Young enough to care and enjoy militaria - Old enough to remember as surplus

" Life's too short for reproductions "

Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes 

bryan44, ahah the life of a single man eh, using the dishwasher to clean your woodwork in.

Now tell me again what was that trick that you do with the vacuum cleaner. ????

He He, Cheers Bryan ( Lewis )[/

Ken......the vacuum cleaner trick was way back in my single days!!! :lol::lol:

My wife lets me use the dishwasher because she knows I'm nuts. :blink:

She calls it "military mode" and is pretty use to it after 11 years together, seven years of it being married. She says it's not a hobby but a "way of life".

Cheers,

Bryan

• 4 weeks later...
Got the e-mail from the CMP today letting me know they began processing my order. It usually takes only a couple of days after that to get the carbine via FedEx. Can't wait!! twothumbup.gif

Gunbarrel,

Do you have to have an FFL to have the weapons shipped to you? I meet the requiremnets to purchase the firearms, but was unsure how to have them shipped.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. "

View my website honoring the men and women of Indiana: http://indianavets.wix.com/indiana-at-war and follow my updates on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/IndianaModernAgeofWar/
Interested in US uniforms? Join the Association of American Military Uniform Collectors! http://aamuc.org/or find us on Facebook! facebook.com/AAMUC.ORG

Do you have to have an FFL to have the weapons shipped to you? I meet the requiremnets to purchase the firearms, but was unsure how to have them shipped.

Not if you're buying from the CMP. They can (and do) ship directly to you...FedEx Ground, IIRC.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Finally got around to taking some pictures of my "finished" Inland from CMP. I replaced all of the post war parts with correct WW2 Inland parts ( push safety, type I barrel band, and "L" flip sight). Also replaced the stock which is a correct Inland with high wood and cartouche markings. I bought the stock from a surplus store in 1995 for $15. :D

Bryan

post-9906-0-85444500-1419987685.jpg

post-9906-0-76036600-1419987696.jpg

post-9906-0-45610700-1419987707.jpg

Bryan,

She looks great! Here is mine--fresh out of the box. Just got it this morning. Birch stock, S/N 485XXX, Inland 7-43 barrel. Oh, if she could only talk! :D

Beast,

Like Bill said, once your paper work gets all approved, the CMP sends it to your house via FedEx Priority Overnight.

post-70-1183135128.jpg

GB

donation2018.gif

Gunbarrel,

Nice Carbine and good catch on the serial number & barrel date. thumbsup.gif

CMP never disappoints IMHO.

Bryan

• 1 month later...
Got my carbine last week. thumbsup.gif

Derek O,

I had to tell you if you hadn't noticed yet that you installed your flip sight backward. The "S" should be on the port side. The dovetail narrows as you slide your sight on from the right to left, with the muzzle pointing away. Did the adj sight have stake marks on the top? Enjoy your Inland!

Regards

Charlie-painter777

Living FREE because of those that served.

• 6 months later...
I ordered a barreled receiver for $150.00. Just got the email it will be shipped soon. Another M1 is reborn !!!!!

Post pics of it when you get it. Been considering gettin one myself.

Brian

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

George S. Patton

If you are considering a M1 Carbine from CMP, go for it. It's definitely worth the paperwork involved. I received a great Winchester from them last month and it's a low number. I didn't ask for a low number, but luckily received one. It came with a "FAT" stamped stock but it's in great shape.

I'm in the process of cleaning the stock up now and refinishing it with Fairtrimmer's Military Ox. It will look fantastic when I'm done!

decwriter

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.