The Disney Art Rejected by the Unit!

bobgee

As reported by Jeff Millstein in his fine book on WWII USMC squadron insignia, the patch for 217 was drawn up as a rabbit togged out in aviator gear in a boxing ring sitting on a keg of TNT. The squadron accepted this design. One of the pilots was sent out to get a professional drawing so he took it to the Disney studios. Because it featured a rabbit , ala Bugs Bunny, they wouldn't draw it as presented but they produced the basic design but with a Marine Corps Bulldog in place of the rabbit. This was rejected by the squadron and then they went to Leon Schlesinger Studios and got their Bugs Bunny insignia! They later became know as "Max's Wild Hares" after the C.O. Maj. Max Read. Here's the original Disney art board for the rejected insignia.

IMG_0046.jpg

Great design Bob...who owns the original? The piece was definitely created by Disney artist Hank Porter.

Here is the original art as it appeared before being transferred and painted on art board.

blog_217.JPG

Here's a repro patch I found on the internet of the Warner Bros. design that was chosen over the Disney design. I prefer the Disney design...more aggressive looking. :D

vmf217rabbit.jpg

Here's a repro patch I found on the internet of the Warner Bros. design that was chosen over the Disney design. I prefer the Disney design...more aggressive looking. :D

vmf217rabbit.jpg

I agree. I think Bugs looks a bit wimpy compared to the USMC Bulldog!

Bob

• 2 years later...
Johnny Signor

I'm really surprised that the Marines turned down this design, as they had a Bulldog as a mascot as far back as WW-1 and still do, to want to swap off to "Bugs Bunny" to me was a step down and the design was not that great looking either !

It's neat that we can see the original pencil drawing and the finished, painted art.

I very much enjoy seeing the original art on these patches, whether USMC, AAF, etc. I thought I would add the " finished" product for completeness sake. I too lament the absence of the bulldog!

Regards, jpstout

post-3673-1274313604.jpg

I too lament the absence of the bulldog!

Yeah, Bugs just doesn't do too much for me either. Of course hindsight being over 65 years old, I don't think we'll be able to change it now. ;)

disneydave
This is the original....

Bob

So is the original art on public display, or does it reside in a private collection?

So is the original art on public display, or does it reside in a private collection?

It resides in my collection.

Bob

disneydave

Sweet. If you ever want to sell it, please let me know. Did it happen to come with thelicensing agreement letter from the Studio?

Sweet. If you ever want to sell it, please let me know. Did it happen to come with thelicensing agreement letter from the Studio?

Just the artboard. Bob