Purple Heart "In" a Tombstone

The CoPilot

The CoPilot

Ran across this image posted on Flickr (photo sharing website) and thought it was really interesting.

The caption read: "Purple heart stored forever in the tombstone of a soldier killed 1944 during World War II. St. John's Lutheran Church cemetery, Bartlett, TX. "

Looks like a slot brooch PH. The purple color of the heart has bleached away and the ribbon has disintegrated.

505161698_f6d2aa7d94.jpg

Now that is really interesting! Great idea with poor execution. The sad thing is that the medal is probably his engraved one. It would be nice if somebody restored the medal and reinstalled it with UV glass. Thanks for sharing the photo.

-Ski

Now that is really interesting! Great idea with poor execution. The sad thing is that the medal is probably his engraved one. It would be nice if somebody restored the medal and reinstalled it with UV glass. Thanks for sharing the photo.

-Ski

Yup...

dhcoleterracina

again very interesting, clearly this is not in the Los Angeles area as this would have been stolen long ago. I'm negative, I know...

DwightPruitt
again very interesting, clearly this is not in the Los Angeles area as this would have been stolen long ago. I'm negative, I know...

It doesn't happen only in L.A.

Probably twenty years ago, I visited Alvin York's grave near Pall Mall, TN. Sgt York and his wife's stones originally had a small covered photograph of each. Her's remained, Sgt York's had been pried off and stolen years ago. On the photo below, you can see the holes where the photo was mounted:

yorkalvin.jpg

ehrentitle
It doesn't happen only in L.A.

Probably twenty years ago, I visited Alvin York's grave near Pall Mall, TN. Sgt York and his wife's stones originally had a small covered photograph of each. Her's remained, Sgt York's had been pried off and stolen years ago. On the photo below, you can see the holes where the photo was mounted:

Apparently it has been restored as here is a 2009 photo from Wikipedia:

Alvin-york-gracie-williams-grave-tn1.jpg