How to restore WWII chest, battery

B.A.R.gunner

B.A.R.gunner

Picked up this chest battery case for $5. im not exactly sure what it is, a little research suggests its a case for a radio battery of some sort. It reads 6210-371-9442 (does the 42 at the end mean 1942? how can i date it?) chest battery EA. QTY. 1 on all four sides, the numbers have been painted over on a couple sides. theres a threaded rod w/ a wingnut on it on the inside. On the top there is some writing, but i can only make out Chest on the top line, some letter on the middle line and what looks like CO. on the last line. First off, anyone know what it is exactly, and what the top might say? I'm thinking of measuring where all the numbers and words are and everything, and stripping all the old paint off, removing the rust, and re-painting it with some OD modeling spray, then stenciling the numbers and letters back on. Is this alright? or is there a batter approach that will preserve it longer?

post-11724-1275441981.jpg

post-11724-1275441992.jpg

post-11724-1275442003.jpg

DONT RESTORE IT. If you do, it will be practically worthless in collector value. It looks to be in great condition from the photos anyway. :unsure:

B.A.R.gunner
DONT RESTORE IT. If you do, it will be practically worthless in collector value. It looks to be in great condition from the photos anyway. :unsure:

would there be any harm in removing some of the rust?

You could put a little oil on the rust spots, but don't use anything abrasive to try and remove it. Like 37thguy said it looks fine, its 60+ years old and its going to have some aging. :thumbsup:

B.A.R.gunner
You could put a little oil on the rust spots, but don't use anything abrasive to try and remove it. Like 37thguy said it looks fine, its 60+ years old and its going to have some aging. :thumbsup:

so just apply a little oil, let it sit for a bit, then wipe it clean with a rag and that should do it?

so just apply a little oil, let it sit for a bit, then wipe it clean with a rag and that should do it?

That sounds good to me, it should help stop the rust for a while.