"Trenched" EGA's

teufelhunde.ret

Herte's front, back, and top of the second pair. Luckily I was able to get all three shots on one post. While I thought I did, I apparently didn't take a side shinola

post-1107-1228952447.jpg

post-1107-1228952455.jpg

post-1107-1228952473.jpg

Herte's front, back, and top of the second pair. Luckily I was able to get all three shots on one post. While I thought I did, I apparently didn't take a side shinola

post-1107-1228952447.jpg

post-1107-1228952455.jpg

post-1107-1228952473.jpg

Herte's? .....side shinola??

Hmmm. Looks like I was the victim of my spellchecker, to say nothing of my poor typing skills. :blush:

What that was SUPPOSED to say was "Here's" and a "side shot." :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
teufelhunde.ret

Its is an interesting emblem - abundance of oringinal gilt remains - and with all that hand stempling, this Marine must of had allot of time on his hands.

• 2 weeks later...

here are a couple more officer 'trenched' birds...common on WWII officer pieces. emblems on left are untrenched, right are 'trenched' ever so slightly. There's an M37 H&H Imperial Dress collar and an M37 Meyers Service Coller

Trenched_37_Meyers.JPG

Trenched_Imp_Dress.JPG

• 1 month later...

seems like the wings and anchor of this M37 H&H marked EM collar piece were intentionally bent forward, as well...

H_H_Trenched.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
Schnicklfritz

Wanted to post this great image that I was lucky enough to pick up recently. I like it for several reasons, mainly that both Marines have their cap EGAs trenched. One more so than the other with the upswept wings. Another reason is the drummer's sleeve insignia on the seated Marine. First I've come across in photos. Enjoy!!!

post-115-1241284509.jpg

Schnicklfritz

close up #1. Note that the only trenching appears to be just the wing clipped from the anchor on this Marine's cap.

post-115-1241284621.jpg

Schnicklfritz

Drummer's sleeve insignia. Kinda hard to see in the photo, but note that the Marine has shaped the insignia like a shield instead of a rectangle.

post-115-1241285306.jpg

Schnicklfritz said:
Here's the money shot for me! 

WOW! Great example of a trenched EGA being worn. May well be the first I've seen in an actual photo. Thanks for posting it!

Semper Fi......Bobgee.

Schnicklfritz

Thanks for the replies fellas. This is the favorite image out of the group that I've picked up. This came in a grouping of USMC images that were all of Marines on the USS Delaware from approximately 1910 to 1910. I'll post more from the grouping in the near future.

S/F,

Marc

• 5 weeks later...
teufelhunde.ret

Tim, I am suspicious of this being recent "creation"? In looking at the front areas that were trenched... one can see evidence of apparent heating, as would be done with a propane torch. The entire back is reddish in tone, not knowing what metal mixture this emblem is made off... Well, I just have this gut feeling about it... :huh: We've both seen allot of trenched emblems, but nothing in this style or with this heated appearance on the reverse? s/f Darrell

I agree, when I first saw it I thought decorative item...which is why I didn't throw in a bid

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

this group brought 127.50 on eBay last week. Save for the one officer emblem, everything else is common. There is a trenched M37 collar emblem with upswept wings, and a roller off a plastic EGA... we've seen a pair of these before bring big bucks. Again, craziness surrounds our hobby, gents

3.jpg

ega2.jpg

ega.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hello,

What can you tell me about this EGA? It appears to be theater made, but I am not sure where. Also, the globe protrudes about a half inch outward, making this entire EGA an inch tall, including the post. Can anyone tell me how old it is or where it was made?

post-2063-1260365646.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

It is a very nice example of the pre 1900 enlisted cover eagle, globe & anchor (EGA). The example you are showing has been "trenched" most likely by the Marine it was issued to - yes these were issued emblems. A great thread with several examples of the trenching art are shown here http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=7769 (which by the way we will make sure yours is added in, every example is unique in its own right). Your example depicts a vast amount of hand "stempling" across the surface of the globe and it would appear the wings have also been manipulated as well.

For more about the period and the emblem itself, take a look thru this thread http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=7904 as it shows some side-by-side examples. Thank for adding this to our EGA photo library! s/f Darrell