"Trenched" EGA's

teufelhunde.ret

Thanks for the help. I had never heard of a trench EGA.

it's a term I've only ever heard applied to EGA's...derived from 'trench art'. It was a common practice on ship rather than in the trenches, as the name implies. One could build a whole collection based solely on trenched emblems, though I don't know of anyone who specifically collects only trenched. I have a few trenched examples in my collection, and have honestly given thought to more actively collecting them. Trenching ranges from the simple, such as upturning the wings or bending the anchor flukes, to the complicated, such as yours, that involves stipling the globe or completely rearranging the emblem. I once read that the practice is believed to have started simple, that each 'dot' stamped into the globe was to represent a country visited during service, but obviously that didn't last, as stipled ones tend to have stipling covering the entire water

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I recently bought this one on eBay, listed as sand-casted. It had been painted copper, and then gold. I spent a good 8-9 hours over the course of the past 2 weeks with Q-Tips and nail polish removing, a whole lot of elbow grease to get the paint out of the stipling...I'd say 98% has been removed. Turned out to be a gorgeous emblem that went overlooked!

The before image

100_2615.JPG

• 2 months later...

post-106890-0-25020300-1357760358.jpg

I just acquired this EGA pin and I can't seem to find any similar example. If anyone has an opinion I would appreciate it.The eagle has upswept wings and the back seems to have had a post in the middle of the eagle which looks to be missing. There is a threaded post in the middle of the globe with a nut. The dimensions are 1.5" x 1.5" and the weight is a little over half an ounce. The pin is brass and was gold plated at one time.Thanks for looking

teufelhunde.ret

It is a GREAT example of an early 1900's enlisted cap emblem, which has been "Trenched". It a an art form of its own, relatively common practice in the era. One could make a collection of these alone. A great find! Here is a link to a pinned thread - you can seen and read about of other examples, performed over the decades.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/7769-trenched-egas/

That's a BEAUTY!

As stated, an art form. I have a half dozen or so, not many equal in intricacy to yours, and have often toyed with the idea of building a collection of them

It is a GREAT example of an early 1900's enlisted cap emblem, which has been "Trenched". It a an art form of its own, relatively common practice in the era. One could make a collection of these alone. A great find! Here is a link to a pinned thread - you can seen and read about of other examples, performed over the decades.

http://www.usmilitar...-trenched-egas/

post-106890-0-14908300-1357773860.jpg

Thanks so much for your reply. I used an appraisal site to identify the pin and they said it was from 1945 then I did some research on my own using the information you had provided and the rope configuration at the top seems to be pre 1925 when there was a design change. I am so happy that I posted it on the forum. Is there any way to pin down the date of the emblem? I did some research on the history of the ega and a particular site showed examples from 1900-1930 which all seem very similar. Thanks for any assistance

That's a BEAUTY!

As stated, an art form. I have a half dozen or so, not many equal in intricacy to yours, and have often toyed with the idea of building a collection of them

Thanks for your reply. Can you tell me if the threaded post and nut are correct and also the reason for the stump of a post on the back of the eagle? Also is it more desirable to have the up swept wings since I haven't seen others with this feature?

Thank You

normaninvasion

Everything looks fine. The stump is a 'clutch' that would embed into the cap, to keep emblem in upright postion. The upswept wings and stempling on the globe= individual art of the Marine, which makes each one unique and giving it a special history of its own. I think this emblem would be right at home on a sea-going Marine pre-WW1

Often referred to as the 1908 pattern, a popular pre-WWI design

The post is correct and seen on various patterns before 1920 and after as well

Roller appears to be correct period original

'Mound' on the back of the eagle is where a stabilizing pin once was, which kept the emblem from rotating on the cover. It's on many, many patterns and, like yours, often broken off

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Can someone please give me an approximate date or era of the EGA's in post number 24. Would also appreciate a value.

Thanks.

Ronnie