"Trenched" EGA's

teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

This particular "pigeon feet" eagle has always been a favorite - someone got A GOOD BUY!

• 4 weeks later...
teufelhunde.ret

From a recent ebay sale - someone got a beautiful turn of the century buckle! One of the finest examples of the trench art on EGA's I've seen.

__KGrHqYOKkQE25JE_YKgBN3FZOsBQw___3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I was at the flea market today and after picking up a real nice ww2 usmc medal group I went back to see if they had anything else from the man. After looking through the display cases I found this. I looked at it for a little while, put it down, and walked around to think about it. A voice told me to go back and get it. I have been baffled about it ever since and wanted to get some opinions. The back screw posts are broken off. This item and the others came from an estate of a USMC enlisted man that became an officer. I tried to get some pics of the globe as there is a wierd type of pattern on it but on the inside you can see the globe lines (seem to be the lines going across and I can somewhat see lines going up and down but am not sure). Also in between the wierd pattern you can see the lines as well. Looks to have honest wear on it and looks right but I am no expert in this field. So what do you guys think, was the voice in my head right? Any help is appreciated. These are the only pics I have at the moment.

* Thought I would add, this looks to be cap sized *

Philip

post-25965-1329123402.jpg

post-25965-1329123409.jpg

post-25965-1329123416.jpg

post-25965-1329123423.jpg

post-25965-1329123430.jpg

It is a very nice emblem, one of the nicest modified emblems that I have seen. It has a nice stippled globe and nice high swept symmetrical wings. Too bad about the post. This Corps device was worn from about 1904 to 1920. Your man must have done some time to make it to WW2 unless his service was broken time. Sometimes you will find that items like this belonged to father and son. Corps blood runs deep in some families.

S/F,

Mike

Thank you for all the information on the EGA. It is too bad the post broke off though. I was wondering what the value of something like this would be?

Philip

WOW Philip.....you're getting into all kinds of things! :thumbsup:

Thanks JS, I am leaning towards USMC/USN items now. Still deciding if I will keep it or not.

Philip ;)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

a 'clipped' wing M20 I just got in, has been completely polished smooth...alas another whose mate will probably elude me forever

100_1840.JPG

• 1 month later...

beautiful Model 1908 pre-WWI pattern enlisted dress emblem, beautifully 'trenched'

Trenching discussed here... http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=7769

Model 1908s... http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...p?showforum=582

If you ever want to sell/trade that sweetheart, please let me know :thumbsup: