Service Pilot Wing variations

John Cooper

John Cooper

Happy Memorial Day All!

Since I had some extra time today I wanted to catch up on some more new wings I have been lucky to obtain. The first group is a nice little trio of Service Pilot wings from three makers that highlight some of the variety of patterns availalble. (SMILO - LeVelle - Meyer)

Enjoy and PLEASE post other patterns you have you in collection!

Regards

John

post-227-1275343884.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a variation of an inexpensive unmarked wing. It has a heavy white coating and appears to be unused. There is an interesting "skeleton" pattern on the reverse. Sometimes you find these "white" wings partially or entirely free of the "white" coating. When entirely free of the coating they shine up beautifully; when the coating is partially present, they have an ugly splotchy appearance. Weight is about average at 17-18 g.

post-3515-1277948992.jpg

John Cooper

Thanks for posting guys I was wondering if anyone would reply ;) I hope to see more variations in both sterling or bullion!

Cheers

John

• 4 years later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi,just thought i'd add pics off two of my Service pilot wings.I also have an LGB set and a Lampl set but they are identcal to the one listed here.

Steve.post-8261-0-61477100-1427832746.jpgpost-8261-0-87283600-1427832764.jpg

• 4 years later...

Here is the first diagram and description issued by the army for Service Pilot wings. Note the shape of the S and the lack of horizontal lines behind the S.

post-96854-0-90495900-1571194160.jpg

Here are two wings made to match the first design, one by Amico and the other by LGB. They have the same shaped S's and lack the horizontal lines.

post-96854-0-49658400-1571194386_thumb.jpg

Thanks Mel. I have not seen sterling Service Pilot wings from other manufacturers that lack the lines behind the letter. I believe Assman ran the lines vertically on their letter wings. I have never seen a wing that matched the overall style of that in the Circular 106 diagram. The wings in the latter Circular 188 diagram are stylistically much more normal, similar to AECo or issue wing styles.