B-52 ejection seat

viking73

I wanted to show off a few photos of a B-52D co-pilot ejection seat I recently bought. It appears to be in pretty good shape. The headrest has some damage on the right rear but other than that seems to be okay. I plan on leaving the seat as is, worn paint and all since all the original decals are there. I do want to try and remove the brown stuff on the back and seat bottom - it appears to be some sort of old adhesive residue - without damaging the paint. Someone even went to the trouble of putting wheels on it.

I'm in the process of acquiring a parachute pack and seat pack to dress it up some.

It's from B-52D 56-0660 - I don't suppose anyone here would have any photos of 0660 they could share?

-Derek

seat1.jpg

seat5.jpg

seat6.jpg

seat2.jpg

Steindaddie

That's a great item you have there! B-52D 56-0660 had a long life and wasn't retired until Aug 1983. She last flew with the 7th Bomb Wing at Carswell AFB Tex. Went to the boneyard and was eventually scrapped. But you have one of the seats and that's pretty darn cool. Here's a photo of your plane taken at Andersen AFB Guam in 1966 after a mission to Vietnam.

~Will

post-1949-1275275953.jpg

Thanks for the kinds words and the photo Will. I figured she was probably a Vietnam Veteran for sure.

I don't suppose you have a complete assignment history for her do you? You are right, according to a book I have ("Boeing's Cold War Warrior") she was one of the last "D" models retired on 8/23/83. Then she was scrapped with the rest of the fleet in either '93 or '94.

One kind of ironic thing is that I took a tour of AMARC back in June of 1987. This was back when you could actually get off the bus and walk around the place. 660 was there somewhere, hell I might even have walked right by her. It's funny that 23 years later I ended up with her co-pilots seat...

I was pretty excited to have a chance to own this piece of aviation history. I think I might even already have a line on a correct model seat pack and chute pack.

The seat is still at work where it was delivered so the wife doesn't know about it which is wht I haven't gotten "the look" yet, haha!

-Derek

An interesting thing I recall about the B-52D seats.

My first assignment in the USAF was in 1974 to Oklahoma City Air Logtisics Center, Tinker AFB. OC-ALC was and is THE center for B-52's. From what I recall at that time the B-52F's had all been taken off active duty and were parked at closed bases such as Clinton Sherman AFB to give the Soviets a little something more to think about when they looked at their recon satellite photos.

But the crews liked the seats in the B-52F's better than the seats in the B-52D's for some reason so the seats for the two models were swapped.

So what you may very well have there is a B-52F/D seat.

I wanted to show off a few photos of a B-52D co-pilot ejection seat I recently bought. It appears to be in pretty good shape. The headrest has some damage on the right rear but other than that seems to be okay. I plan on leaving the seat as is, worn paint and all since all the original decals are there. I do want to try and remove the brown stuff on the back and seat bottom - it appears to be some sort of old adhesive residue - without damaging the paint. Someone even went to the trouble of putting wheels on it.

I'm in the process of acquiring a parachute pack and seat pack to dress it up some.

It's from B-52D 56-0660 - I don't suppose anyone here would have any photos of 0660 they could share?

-Derek

seat1.jpg

seat5.jpg

seat6.jpg

seat2.jpg

That's a great story MIFlyer. You might just be right, I'll have to check my references!

Thanks for sharing that.

-Derek