F.A. Gonzalez II & W.L. Lakeburg; USMC

Brig

Thought you might enjoy the read, Bob.

Darrell got to get a small taste in person a few months back, but never got a chance to see the paperwork.

.......and I love his pencil moustache! I'll bet he was a charmer back in the day!

Semper Fi!......Bob

teufelhunde.ret
Darrell got to get a small taste in person a few months back, but never got a chance to see the paperwork.

OUTSTANDING THREAD! :bravo: Superb way to tell the story of his time in the Corps. Its great to see this one come to life! Folks you would not believe the volume of ephemera that came with this grouping - the Mrs kept everything!!!! And nicely saved in albums, never seen one this complete. Stay the course Tim - don't let up on St Louis. Hope you post some more as time permits. Got a group shot of the crates they shipped to you. s/f Darrell

Brian Dentino

Wow Brig, I am speechless. This is an absolutely AMAZING grouping to a VERY long serving Marine, and to have his wife a Marine as well! Just amazing. I am sure that you will spend hours and hours with a big grin on your face trying to sort through all of this stuff. Hope that the records show up soon.

Very nice, and thanks for showing. This is a super Memorial Day tribute to a family dedicated to the service and protection of our Nation.

Kurt Barickman

Yes indeed, the best husband/wife USMC group I too have ever seen :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing on Memorial Day weekend.

Kurt Barickman

vicjoy1945

:thumbsup:

Fantastic grouping and what a history !!

Their love story is beautifully laid out against a back drop of incredible history...I feel as though I know them personally now !!

Thanks for showing !

Vic

thanks for the comments, guys. This is truly a great group. Foriegn born, Pearl Harbor the day it was attacked, decorated on Iwo Jima. I'm honored to be the caretaker of it.

American Heritage

Thanks so much for taking the time to post these photos and documents! This thread was a truly interesting and inspiring one to read. 2 great Americans here and you are honored to be the caretaker. Why do you suppose his son did not retain these items? Shame, but at least it is all in good hands!

Thanks again for this great thread tracing the lives of these Marines.

Semper Fidelis brothers.

Corpsmancollector

What fantastic and well preserved grouping, Brig! You have done an outstanding job of documenting it and honouring two wonderful marines.

You must be very happy with this one :thumbsup:

Thanks greatly for sharing.

Thanks so much for taking the time to post these photos and documents! This thread was a truly interesting and inspiring one to read. 2 great Americans here and you are honored to be the caretaker. Why do you suppose his son did not retain these items? Shame, but at least it is all in good hands!

Thanks again for this great thread tracing the lives of these Marines.

Semper Fidelis brothers.

his son has no kids of his own and is getting older, was happy to find someone to keep it together and respect it

Great story and thanks for positing it. I checked Blakney's Heroes of the Marine Corps 1861-1955 and could not find his name listed for the Silver Star for WWII or Korea.

Really super group Brig!

I also noted the "Aide to General" collar devices in the fourth or fifth photo down on the general's aide in dress blues, behind his EGAs. I didn't know that was practiced in the Marine Corps - I assumed it was only an "Army" thing!

Dave

just noticed that. indeed they did, I've never bothered to ask if they were the exact same design as Army though

• 2 years later...
ww2relichunter

Wow wonderful grouping and an amazing story this is the stuff just spent the past half an hour reading though the whole grouping

Just an update...I did get his record from St Louis...but it only went until 1956, when he transitioned to his permenant commission. I've sent another requesting his other half, but yet to get it. Might have to fire off 3 more copies to get the attention. His record had nothing we didn't know except his official enlistment photo...even was missing some of his awards!

In the sketch of himself there is an insignia that has an 'F D' with an eight ball between the letters.

Does anybody know what unit this was for? It look's familiar.

• 3 months later...

In the sketch of himself there is an insignia that has an 'F D' with an eight ball between the letters.

Does anybody know what unit this was for? It look's familiar.

8th Field Depot, Supply Service I believe