AEF Service Coat, Railroad Artillery Reserve

Croix de Guerre
Wow, not much info out there on this patch, anyone know anything more about it, only thing I've been told is that it's a tough patch and nice group. Thoughts?

Fritz

From Wikepedia;

Oozlefinch is the unofficial historic mascot of the Air Defense Artillery – and formerly of Coastal Artillery – of the United States Army. Oozlefinch is portrayed as a flightless, featherless bird that flies backwards (at supersonic speeds[3]) and carries weapons of the Air Defense and Coastal Artillery, most often a Nike-Hercules Missile. Oozlefinch has been portrayed in many different forms and artistic interpretations through its history.[4] Oozle's motto is "If it flies, it dies. Blazing skies." reinforcing the purpose of the Air Defense Artillery.

The Oozlefinch was used on the patch of Railway Artillery Reserve during World War I; In some descriptions, this bird is instead a pelican.[2] The DUI of the 42nd Field Artillery Brigade later included Oozlefinch, describing the insignia thus: "On a wreath of the colors (Or and Gules) an oozlefinch (from the shoulder sleeve insignia worn by the Railway Artillery Reserve in France) Vert, armed, capped and collared on the legs".[1]

X_redcatcher

The patch looks like a early patch king one made in the 30's,my guess is that he no longer had his "real " one so replaced it. The one ribbon is from the VFW I think so it all adds up.

All,

Quite a while back we had a thread going on the RAR and I posted pics of my RAR tunic/dogtags. My RAR tunic has a theater (French) made SSI on it. I can't find the thread! LOL From the looks of this one, I'd say that the SSI is a 1930's purchase. I agree with Frank on the ribbons, they look like Studley.

John