AEF Service Coat, Railroad Artillery Reserve

Picked this up this morning at our local flea market, real nice named uniform, came with his victory medal with 3 campaign bars, dog tags, overseas cap with the RAR patch on it and a summer weight tunic.

Fritz

post-4127-1275220621.jpg

Thanks Mark, it's not always this good, but sometimes its worth it. Anyone seen this patch before? I think it's a pretty tough patch.

Fritz

The oozlefinch? Its a nice patch. I don't know that exact make of it- A patch guy would probably be able to tell you better, but I would tend to think I is a postwar "better private purchase" version put on when the guy returned home rather than one made in France.

It's just so funny that so many Doughboys threw out their original patch as it was not good looking enough to put on one that was far better made. I suppose much like WW2 GI's that bought a bullion patch in 1945.

I wonder what would happen if you tried to wear a bullion patch on ACU's these days?

Croix de Guerre

Very, very nice! Also kind of encouraging as I feel that most flea markets are pretty well played out when it comes to finding good W1 stuff. :thumbsup:

What is the guys name?

Very, very nice! Also kind of encouraging as I feel that most flea markets are pretty well played out when it comes to finding good W1 stuff. :thumbsup:

What is the guys name?

Thanks! The guys name is Leo J. Steyer, he is from the Tiffin area of Ohio.

Fritz

Sent an Email re: his records in the GREEN BOOK :thumbsup:

Thanks Mark!!! :thumbsup:

From Tiffin,

Reg Army Columbus bks. joined feb 2/17 21 years of age btry B 52d arty CAC to aug 25/19 btry D 52 arty to disch

pvt 1 cl dec 1/18

st mihiel;meuse argonne;def sect AEF aug 28/17 to jan 3/19 hon disch june 4/20

Croix de Guerre

Name: Leo J. Steyer

Serial Number: 149790

Race: W

Residence: Tiffin, O.

Enlistment Division: Regular Army

Enlistment Location: Columbus Barracks, O.

Enlistment Date: 2 Feb 1917

Birth Place: Tiffin, O.

Battery B 52 Artillery Coast Artillery Corps to 25 Aug 1919; Battery D 52 Artillery to Discharge Private, first class 1 Dec 1918. St Mihiel; Meuse-Argonne; Defensive Sector. American Expeditionary Forces 28 Aug 1917 to 3 Jan 1919. Honorable discharge 4 June 1920.

Croix de Guerre

Name: Leo J Steyer

Home in 1930: Tiffin, Seneca, Ohio

Estimated birth year: abt 1896

Birthplace: Ohio

Relation to Head of House: Head

Spouse's name: Alice A

Race: White

Leo J Steyer 34

Alice A Steyer 33

Croix de Guerre

Name: Leo Steyer

Home in 1900: Tiffin Ward 3, Seneca, Ohio

Birth Date: Feb 1896

Birthplace: Ohio

Race: White

Relationship to Head of House: Son

Father's Name: John

Father's Birthplace: Ohio

Mother's Name: Rosa

Mother's Birthplace: Ohio

Marital Status: Single

Neighbors:

Household Members:

John Steyer 40

Rosa Steyer 34

Edda Steyer 8

Corina Steyer 6

Leo Steyer 4

Louis Steyer 2

Any thoughts as to what these ribbons are? I know the victory medal but what about the others?

Fritz

Top right: official French war commemorative medal, in this case most likely self-awarded

Bottom, left to right: unoffical French St. Mihiel and Verdun medals, American Legion membership medal

Top right: official French war commemorative medal, in this case most likely self-awarded

Bottom, left to right: unoffical French St. Mihiel and Verdun medals, American Legion membership medal

Thanks!

Very, very nice, Fritz! :thumbsup:

Thanks! I'm just trying to find out exactly what this patch is,from what I can determine so far it's a pretty tough bugger. It's a pretty neat group and named, can't beat it.

Fritz

Is there any threads here on the forum discussing these patches? I think I remeber seeing one a while back.

Fritz

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, not much info out there on this patch, anyone know anything more about it, only thing I've been told is that it's a tough patch and nice group. Thoughts?

Fritz

FrankEaton01

The ribbon bars appear to be the type sold to veterans through George Studley's catalog. Sometimes the ribbons have paper labels on the back. Studley also sold WWI style patches during the 1930's in both shoulder and cap sizes. The overseas cap patches I've seen were embroidered on 2" wool discs. I'm by no means a patch expert, but if the veteran bought the ribbons from Studley and added them to his uniform post-WWI, then the patches may have been a "private purchase" addition, as well.