Three Wars Three Medics, from the same family

PaulR

My tunic(I have several uniforms packed away at home). I am in the Coast Guard and now a Chief Corpsman. As you can see, I was still a First Class back in 2003/4 when I was part of Operation Iraqi Freedom II and III. I am still on active duty.

I have done well in the awards department, including getting a GWOT-E, the new CG Overseas Service Ribbon, and the Navy/Marine Corps Achievement Medal for my time over there, under the Navy's Command.

post-4249-1275207032.jpg

bmbrzmn101

Paul, great story with the pics and clippings. Congratulations for being selected the keeper of these family items. Also a big thanks for your service.

Chris

Bought in a "Friendly" Middle Eastern country... Makes you wonder who your friends are, doesn't it? The street vendor who first showed it to me was smiling when he offered it, almost as if he was offering as an insult. I almost punched the "f*cker" in the mouth, but prudence got the best of me and I walked away. After thinking about it for a few days, I figured that no one stateside would ever believe me if I told them about it, so I bought it as a reminder of why we fight...

post-4249-1275207641.jpg

DutchInfid3l
A booklet of civilian equivalent skills learned while in the Navy, for civilian employment purposes

Great grouping! Thanks for sharing!

Though I see you're blocking out part of his name... this one you missed!

DutchInfid3l and bmbrzmn101, thank you for the kind replies. I will have to go back and fix the name thing tomorrow! LOL

Here is a photo of when I was given the flag.

I have other things as well, but I do not want to bore you with them... (Iraqi money, rugs I bought, an original 1993 Osama bin Laden wanted poster from the post office, and etc). I also have things from other deployments to places like Columbia, which I can post if there is interest.

It is hard to believe that after a combined service time of over 20 years, between the Marines and the Coast Guard, that my time is about over. Hopefully, I have many more stories and things to add to this thread before it is all over.

post-4249-1275207890.jpg

I have a lot of photos/post cards from my Great Grandfather as well. I do not want to really bore you with them, unless there is interest. A lot of gore and etc in some of them.

WWI medical is favorite topic of mine. Please bore me to tears!!!!!!!!!!

Great postings! Thank you for sharing your families history. As far as that 9-11 souvenier, I think I would write my name, rank, place and date that I bought it inside the box for the future owners down the road.

Landing party patches

Doc, these are "Amphibious Forces" patches worn on the left shoulder of all Sailors assigned to amphibious forse commands/ They were in use from 1944 to 1947.

Steve Hesson

Landing craft insignia?

Doc, This is an earlier version of the "Amphibious Forces" patch adopted in '43, worn on the right fore arm. this one is for blues.

Steve Hesson

Brian Dentino

What an incredible story, and great items. Congrats on getting such precious items from your grandmother. Glad they will remain in the family and appreciated, cared for, and treasured for a long time to come. And thank you for your service! :salute:

Doc, This is an earlier version of the "Amphibious Forces" patch adopted in '43, worn on the right fore arm. this one is for blues.

Steve Hesson

Hi Steve,

For some reason, I cannot see your picture.

Thank you for the kind works, Kevin. I have a feeling that these items would have either been sold or tossed if I did not take them.

I will post some more of those WW1 photos in a bit.

Hi Steve,

For some reason, I cannot see your picture.

Thank you for the kind works, Kevin. I have a feeling that these items would have either been sold or tossed if I did not take them.

I will post some more of those WW1 photos in a bit.

The red patches with the yellow anchor, eagle and "Tommy Gun" are the '44-'47 Amphibious Forces patches, worn on the left shoulder of all uniforms (blue and white). the rectangular is the earlier version, worn on the right fore arm of blue and whaite uniforms. This one is for blues. It would appear that your G-Father started with the Marines, ref the crow for the marine Khaki shirt, and then went on to be part of an LST crew. The Amphibious Forces were not worn by those assigned to the Marine Corps who would have worn the appropriate Marine unit patch. Amphib Forces patch was only for Navy/CG units. It's great that you have been designated the "Keeper of the Family Stuff". I too have that distinction and have some of my Fathers uniforms. My sister (active duty Navy Senior Chief has his medals and ribbons). Eventually I will get them too and her stuff.

I retired 11 years ago as a Senior Chief from the Navy, and regret it every day. Would go back in a Hong Kong Heart Beat, but, too old and Beat up.

Great collection Chief, thanks for sharing.

Steve Hesson

Thanks Senior Chief. I appreciate the kind words. I love the service too. That is why I try to volunteer for the most interesting assignments possible(Middle East and ships). Believe it or not, not many people are really into those gigs. My thoughts are why even bother joining and making a career if you are not even interested in seeing the expeditionary side? I can do clinical work as a civilian and get a much better paycheck! LOL

I thank you for your service! I will post the WW1 photos soon.

• 2 years later...

Last page.

There are a lot more pages in this booklet, but they are blank. There is also a page that outlines what happens if the booklet is lost, altered, or etc.

post-4249-0-50812400-1356293156.jpg