Three Wars Three Medics, from the same family

PaulR

My grandmother moved into a retirement community because keeping the house was more than she is willing to tackle at this stage in life. Before signing it over to the "kids", she parted certain things out to family members who would most appreciate their hereditary "value".

As you all know, I am a corpsman in the military. I have been in this career for the past 18 years. When I opened the box of relics, I noticed the items contained within were the military artifacts of both my grandfather and great grandfather. I knew that they were both veterans of WW2(grandfather) and WW1(Great Grandfather). What I did not know is that they were both Combat medics!

My Great Grandfather was in WW1, with the Army Ambulance Corps and my Grandfather was a Pharmacist mate in the US Navy.

The purpose of this thread is to tell their stories, as narrated by the items received in that parcel...

I will start posting a selection of items from my great grandfather, who was a member of Army Ambulance Company 125, 107th San(?) Train. He served most of his time in France.

For his service, he was awarded the WW1 Victory Medal and the Purple Heart(after it was established in the 1930s) for wounds sustained from an arty attack

post-4249-1275204581.jpg

I have a really old first aid kit too... I do not know how old it is, but it is MINT!! I would be shocked if it dates back that far, but the outer shell is fragile and looks the part.

post-4249-1275205367.jpg

I have a lot of photos/post cards from my Great Grandfather as well. I do not want to really bore you with them, unless there is interest. A lot of gore and etc in some of them.

The next grouping is from my Grandfather. He enlisted in the US Navy from New Orleans Naval Recruiting office in 1942 or early 1943. He landed with the Marines on Guadalcanal and was at the battle of Leyte Gulf.

My Grandfather was awarded with the following decorations:

Navy Commendation Ribbon(Became an award of the Navy on 01Nov1943 and did not become a medal until 22Mar1950)

Combat Action Ribbon

American Campaign Medal

Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal

WW2 Victory Medal

Philippines Liberation Medal

I also inherited his M1 Carbine and a M1903 pistol(he had them all chromed post war).

This is his initial uniform issue card.

post-4249-1275205712.jpg

Next two clippings from local news paper detailing the battle. It must have been a very monumental event for him to keep all of these.

Pt 1

post-4249-1275206029.jpg