books

Daan

Today 4 new books arrived, they are first editions and very interesting. Now I don't need new books for the next 2 months :Dthumbsup.gif

I believe they all belonged to Mr Stinson, a 506th veteran. Does anyone know if he is still alive?

First one is 'Avenging Eagles' by Mark Bando,

(BROKEN LINKS REMOVED)

The second book is 'Hell's Highway' by George Koskimaki,

(BROKEN LINKS REMOVED)

Normally i don't post my new books, but since these are signed and because they belonged to a paratrooper, i thought it would be interesting to share.

And last but not least 'Rendezvous with Destiny',

(BROKEN LINKS REMOVED)

Is this the 1st Edition?

Anyone else want to share some interesting first edition and/or signed books?

And last but not least 'Rendezvous with Destiny',

41yr4.jpg

42qd6.jpg

43kj5.jpg

44ym6.jpg

Is this the 1st Edition?

Anyone else want to share some interesting first edition and/or signed books?

Daan,

Nice acquisitions. I am not sure if Mr. Stinson has passed away. I will have to look into this. Your edition of Rendezvous with Destiny is the "Enlarged" 2nd edition that was in 1972. It is still a very desirable and collectible book. The 1st Edition of RWD has a BLUE Cover and was published in 1948. I will try to post a picture of this later.

Thanks Ricardo and Jake! thumbsup.gif

I don't see it that often that people show their new books, but in my opinion they are very interesting items, especially like this, 4 books that came from one veteran.

I allready had the Dutch version of Hell's Highway but it sure looks interesting to also read the original version.

Thank you for your information Jake, I wasn't sure if this was the 2nd Edition. Please let me know if you have more information about Mr. Stinson.

Daan

Thanks Ricardo and Jake! thumbsup.gif

I don't see it that often that people show their new books, but in my opinion they are very interesting items, especially like this, 4 books that came from one veteran.

I allready had the Dutch version of Hell's Highway but it sure looks interesting to also read the original version.

Thank you for your information Jake, I wasn't sure if this was the 2nd Edition. Please let me know if you have more information about Mr. Stinson.

Daan

Daan,

Not a problem and a neat topic. Here is an example of the 1948 Edition of Rendezvous with Destiny.

post-261-1184883972.jpg

post-261-1184883993.jpg

post-261-1184884014.jpg

Daan,

Since you brought up the thread of favorite signed or first editions, I thought I would post two of my most treasured. The first one is a First Edition, 1st printing copy of Band of Brothers. That is the one I have had the Veterans sign over the years (and at the reunion that weekend). This book actually came out of the 1st box of these books that arrived in Doc Ambrose's office. I was standing there when UPS dropped them off for the book release party and it was the first time Steve had seen the complete finished version. He signed it as well.

post-261-1184884405.jpg

post-261-1184884423.jpg

And this is my 1st Edition, 1st printing "Beyond Band of Brothers". This was a gift from Major Winters.

post-261-1184884514.jpg

Hope you guys like these and hopefully others will post theirs! There must be some AWESOME 1st Editions and autographed ones out there.

Here a few of mine:

Photobook signed by the founder of the Bastogne Historical Center; Guy Franz Arend.

Book (in French) about the fightings in the Baraque de Fraiture - Manhay - Malempré area, signed by author Eddy Monfort.

WWII Diary from Ed Danko, 4th Infantry Division.

Book written by the wife of a 110th Regiment Veteran (28th ID).

War Memories written by Tom Myers (110th IR - 28th Division), signed by himself, his buddy (Ellis Booth) and a Luxembourg historian (Marcel Scheidweiler).

Same as previous, but in German and first issue.
Signed by Tilly Kimmes, secretary of CEBA, Luxembourg (Studygroup of the Battle of the Bulge).

Erwin

post-22-0-92393300-1402792973.jpg

post-22-0-53649300-1402792976.jpg

post-22-0-76058000-1402792978.jpg

post-22-0-81109300-1402792980.jpg

post-22-0-10934900-1402792983.jpg

post-22-0-34577600-1402792985.jpg

Books about the 101st Airborne:

Signed by author; Edward O'Brien - First Edition.

Signed by Veteran of 506th PIR; Kerman A sheckler.

Signed by George Koskimaki at the request of Joe Reed, a 101st Airborne Veteran.

Signed by George Koskimaki - Second Edition.

Signed by George Koskimaki - Third Edition.

Signed by George Koskimaki - First Edition.

Erwin

post-22-0-19374200-1402793275.jpg

post-22-0-39183900-1402793277.jpg

post-22-0-57724700-1402793279.jpg

post-22-0-61850100-1402793281.jpg

post-22-0-88181500-1402793283.jpg

post-22-0-96512100-1402793285.jpg

Armor!

Signed by Major general George Ruhlen, CO of the 3rd Armored Field Artillery Battalion - 9th Armored Division.
First Edition.

Signed by Brigadier General Albin F Irzyk, CO 8th Tank Battalion - 4th Armored Division.
I believe a First Edition.

Erwin

post-22-0-47952400-1402793363.jpg

post-22-0-40700100-1402793365.jpg

Signed by Charles B MacDonald.

Signed by Sergeant Harry E Traynor, 704th Tank Destroyer Battalion.
Copyright 1966 (First Edition?).

Sorry for the lesser quality of the scans.

Erwin

post-22-0-72003400-1402793435.jpg

post-22-0-07573900-1402793438.jpg

TimeforTrumpets.jpg

Signed by Charles B MacDonald.

Bulge-Toland.jpg

Signed by Sergeant Harry E Traynor, 704th Tank Destroyer Battalion.

Copyright 1966 (First Edition?).

Sorry for the lesser quality of the scans.

Erwin

Erwin,

Awesome! Great books. Well done and thanks for sharing.

I spoke with George Koskimaki several times via phone while researching a story. The man was very generous with his time and he is a wealth of information...an almost photographic memory.

Erwin, T(h)anks for sharing! Some great books you have! thumbsup.gif

Are the 'With Geronimo Across Europe' and 'Look out below' books interesting to read, what are they about?

Erwin,

Awesome! Great books. Well done and thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the nice comment, Sir.

The book "Time for Trumpets" I received from Mr. MacDonald himself without any costs eventhough I offered to pay him for it.

Daan, both books are definitely worth reading.

"Look out Below!" is written by Father Francis L Sampson and talks about his life in the Army. Very well written in my opinion and it sheds a light on Chaplains in the Airborne Forces.

"With Geronimo across Europe" is written by Edward O'Brien who was with 501st PIR. It's written as the soldier would tell it. Some errors, etc but also worth reading it as it gives the perspective of a combat soldier.

Erwin

I was very pleased to find this The devils brigade 1st edition 1966 for $10,And this first edition 1949 To hell and back for the same price .

post-39-1185016346.jpg

post-39-1185016541.jpg

Charlie Flick

Erwin and Others:

This is a most entertaining thread. Most of us love books, and I admit to being a serious book nut myself, especially on 20th Century military subjects. I congratulate Erwin on an excellent collection of AB books.

Here is one I picked up not long ago. It is the History of the Sixth Marine Division, published in 1948 by the Infantry Journal Press. This one is a first edition. I have the other five Marine Division unit histories and when I realized I was missing the Sixth to complete the set, I went on a little search.

What I found was even more interesting than I had ever considered. The copy I located was inscribed by Lt. General Lemuel Shepherd, Jr. the commanding officer of the Sixth Division during WW2.

As seen below the blue ink inscription is to a Navy Chief whose name I can not quite make out. "Swittle" perhaps? (BTW, guesses are welcome as I would like to find out more about Chief "Swittle". Could he have been a Navy Corpsman assigned to the Sixth?)

Regards,
Charlie Flick

1.JPG

2.JPG

Looks very interesting.

I think it is "Swittle" too.

".... appreciate of your loyal service with the 6th Marine Division ..."

Very nice.

Erwin

• 4 years later...

I recently down-sized my house and moved to a new neighborhood. I walked around the corner to a Garage Sale and saw a nice hard-back copy of "So Far From God"---which I consider the best history of the Mexican War. I got it for the usual price of $1.50.

Later, I opened it and saw this signature by John Eisenhower, the son of President Ike.

post-3558-1317528864.jpg

I went back to my neighbor and offered to return it. It all checked out. This First Edition was published in the year 1989, which matches the year my neighbor's father-in-law was in the Army.

Steve