Civil Air Patrol BDU - fill in the blanks

StevenL

A coworker picked up this Civil Air Patrol BDU for me over the weekend and I thought it might be possible to figure out what's missing. I always like to try but it's not so easy with Army and other branches. It seems a bit easier for CAP. Here's my guess. From the collar I thought this might have been a Colonel's jacket with this insignia. For the badges I was thinking CAP pilot wings and an Incidant Commander Badge, both at least senior grade.

One thing is for certain though, it's not easy to find good photos of people in the CAP in their BDUs online. :pinch: I also was unable to find anything online for this name.

IMG_0870.jpg

IMG_0867.jpg

IMG_0869.jpg

hawkdriver

Most Civil Air Patrol uniforms are military hand me downs, so they get them with ghosts on them. It was probably a 1Lt who was then promoted to a Captain based on the right collar fading

Hilarious, I never knew the tape is now the "US" Civil Air Patrol. I also get a kick out of the flag. Things sure changed a lot since I was in!

-Ski

post-3043-1275090542.jpg

Most Civil Air Patrol uniforms are military hand me downs, so they get them with ghosts on them. It was probably a 1Lt who was then promoted to a Captain based on the right collar fading

What would he have had on the left side then, the CAP letters? That would all make sense but there's no previous stitching holes to have made it more obvious to me.

Hilarious, I never knew the tape is now the "US" Civil Air Patrol. I also get a kick out of the flag. Things sure changed a lot since I was in!

-Ski

If you think that tape is funny you should have seen some of the photos I came across while trying to do some research on this BDU. In many of them you could see tapes with and without the US being worn side by side by different people. I thought it looked strange not having them all uniform.

hawkdriver
What would he have had on the left side then, the CAP letters? That would all make sense but there's no previous stitching holes to have made it more obvious to me.

In this case, it was probably an enlisted kid that would have worn pin on rank

I was thinking it was an indicant commander badge because of how thin the second badge looks. A ground team badge seemed like it was too tall. There's really no telling what it was originally and I'm finding out that there's more and more CAP insignia than I even realized. :D It's too bad I couldn't find anything from the name as it seemed like an uncommon one.

-Ski

I remember those uniforms as well. I actually liked the fatigue uniforms better than the BDUs used now. I think that colored insignia with the camo pattern looks a bit... "junky".

As far as the topic uniform, the shadows on the tunic(other than the collar) were most likely caused by it's previous service in the Army. I cannot tell whether or not the uniform is for a cadet or senior member, so you can choose whichever you like to restore it.

For StevenL : your vest can be complete as it I think. Here's some pictures showing the same sort of jacket, also with removed patches !!! And soldiers wear them with pin rank.

100413-F-5357F-241.JPG

100413-F-5357F-224.JPG On this picture, you can clearly see the removed Bagdes (see up the branch tape) !

100413-F-5357F-149.JPG On this one, the USAF rank on shoulder were also removed. You can still see the sew-on marks.

100413-F-5357F-096.JPG

DF-SD-08-21439.jpg

100413-F-5357F-074.JPG

060520-F-4883S-104__0SRY2.jpg On this picture, they have the same patch than your vest.

Hope this helps !

P-E

Boy does that ever help, thanks for adding all of those photos. I've learned quite a bit from this thread.