Fantasy, Repro, & Counterfeit EGA Reference Thread

cbuehler

When I said fishy, I mean the sharks are chomping on this one.Somebody is gonna be hurting on this one down the road.

usmcaviator

I wanted to get a second opinion on these. Are they both USMC and are they original?

Yes and no. They are restrikes. Save your money, unless you are dying to get examples. A real 1892 can be had if you know what to look for, the tarbucket insignia...forget about it.

Mike

teufelhunde.ret

On ebay.This looks fishy.

Here is one of it's cousins, courtesy of "usnusa" a noted ebay seller of fakes anf phonies...

post_376_1235652983.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
American Heritage

I saw these EGAs in an antique mall today for $95 for the set - they are silver, no ropes, and are very blizted down. Any opinion as to cost or age? is that OK / in range? I know these pics are hard to see, but I took it with my phone camera. The single one has a rope, look like an officer and is $85. The other is a sweetheart EGA. Are these costs in range?

post-10864-1275013028.jpg

kyhistorian01

I am not an expert especially on prices, but I can tell you that I have a pair on an identified uniform that belonged to a Lt Col that retired in 1962 and from what I have heard they weren't used after 1963. Perhaps those with more expertise can help, especially with value.

Robert

teufelhunde.ret
the collar set are fakes, the others are sweetheart pins worth about $20. No deals there.

Mike

...ditto.

the collar set are fakes, the others are sweetheart pins worth about $20. No deals there.

Mike

Mike,

I am trying to learn about EGA's. Would you mind please telling me what clues you in that these are fakes? The lack of a rope?

Thanks for any help.....Kat

usmcaviator
Mike,

I am trying to learn about EGA's. Would you mind please telling me what clues you in that these are fakes? The lack of a rope?

Thanks for any help.....Kat

There are a few things. #1 Why would this set (which if real would demand $600-800) be $95 and the sweetheart pieces which are worth $20 be $85? The guy has a mix of items in his case (I see a German observer badge which is a tough badge to find...thinkin fake) which means, he is probably knowledgable in militaria, so his prices and items have to viewed with skepticism. #2 The biggest reason is, these all sterling fakes have been floating around E-bay for a while, and are easily distinguishable with the poor quality detail and appearance. #3 Experience. It is something that can not be bought, I have been actively searching and acquiring EGAs for over 10 years, and have developed a pretty good eye for what looks good, what is good, what is fake, and what is fantasy.

Mike

American Heritage

Thanks for saving my hard-earned $$$. I've never seen the sterling ega's closest to us in the photo but they looked really sharp and appeared to have age, becuase as I said, they were blitzed down (worn in other words) but had no rope. So I was unsure. Even though I once wore the officer EGAs myself, I am no expert on them and realize that there are many periods and patterns. Kind of disappointed as they looked so nice, but that is why I asked the experts! Thanks again!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

teufelhunde.ret

Kat, I believe Mike is referring to these "gems" as the ones available on ebay (and appear to be identical to those pictured above). Aside from the unsuspecting folks who occasionally unload these "reproductions". There are two dealers, one who does, who who does not reveal this are fakes. Interesting to note they have now landed in antique malls, not surprising - too bad. s/f Darrell

post_503_1188398344.jpg

American Heritage
Kat, I believe Mike is referring to these "gems" as the ones available on ebay (and appear to be identical to those pictured above). Aside from the unsuspecting folks who occasionally unload these "reproductions". There are two dealers, one who does, who who does not reveal this are fakes. Interesting to note they have now landed in antique malls, not surprising - too bad. s/f Darrell

Darrell, those are the exact ones for sale in the antique mall...thanks for posting these.

s/f

• 1 month later...

Hello Folks...Picked these up a while ago...They look like a matched set... What say you?

Sorry could not make the second one any smaller see next post

Regards

John D.

post-13056-1279025409.jpg

Hello Folks...Picked these up a while ago...They look like a matched set... What say you?

Sorry could not make the second one any smaller see next post

Regards

John D.

The Other WW1 Collar Disk

post-13056-1279025806.jpg

John, can you show reverse and the roller that came w/ these?

Here are the reverse of the Disks.

Regards, John D.

post-13056-1279036651.jpg

post-13056-1279036683.jpg

teufelhunde.ret
Here are the reverse of the Disks.

Regards, John D.

Sadly these are a known reproduction (of the Army - Navy Version) that came onto the scene 4-5 years ago. A seller from PA on ebay claimed - get this - found a coffee can in a cellar, full of these. Sadly they went fast and we still see these coming onto ebay from time to time, and sold to unwitting buyers.

Here in one (of many) of the threads on this repro in the ref sec on them:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=11655

• 4 weeks later...

M-18...bought on a pith helmet at a gamble, when it arrived I saw this. hard to see, but some holes in the globe next to South America. tell-tale is on the rear

100_8152.JPG

teufelhunde.ret
M-18...bought on a pith helmet at a gamble, when it arrived I saw this. hard to see, but some holes in the globe next to South America. tell-tale is on the rear

Wow that thing is ugly :yucky: yet folks continue to buy them from the ebay repro guys... what a shame!