USMC EGAs in Antique Mall - Help!!

I saw these EGAs in an antique mall today for $95 for the set - they are silver, no ropes, and are very blizted down. Any opinion as to cost or age? is that OK / in range? I know these pics are hard to see, but I took it with my phone camera. The single one has a rope, look like an officer and is $85. The other is a sweetheart EGA. Are these costs in range?

post-10864-1275013028.jpg

I SEARCH FOR, RESEARCH, AND PRESERVE WWII USMC COMBAT GROUPINGS; NAMED AND PATCHED BLUES AND ALPHA UNIFORMS; MEDALS; SWORDS; AND CLASS RINGS FROM THE CITADEL MILITARY COLLEGE IN CHARLESTON, SC.
http://No_outside_hosting.us/scaled/landing/191/americanheritagebanner.png

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

I am not an expert especially on prices, but I can tell you that I have a pair on an identified uniform that belonged to a Lt Col that retired in 1962 and from what I have heard they weren't used after 1963. Perhaps those with more expertise can help, especially with value.

Robert

the collar set are fakes, the others are sweetheart pins worth about $20. No deals there.

Mike

Mike Manifor
Buying and selling Military Antiques. Specializing in hat and collar insignia (EGAs) of the USMC.
Top dollar paid.
info@eagleglobeandanchor.com
My website:www.eagleglobeandanchor.com

Visit my EGA reference section: http://www.eagleglobeandanchor.com/EGA_Reference_Section.html

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

the collar set are fakes, the others are sweetheart pins worth about $20. No deals there.

Mike

Mike,

I am trying to learn about EGA's. Would you mind please telling me what clues you in that these are fakes? The lack of a rope?

Thanks for any help.....Kat

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2015.gifmsg-24355-0-77312200-1449362814.gif

Mike,

I am trying to learn about EGA's. Would you mind please telling me what clues you in that these are fakes? The lack of a rope?

Thanks for any help.....Kat

There are a few things. #1 Why would this set (which if real would demand $600-800) be $95 and the sweetheart pieces which are worth $20 be $85? The guy has a mix of items in his case (I see a German observer badge which is a tough badge to find...thinkin fake) which means, he is probably knowledgable in militaria, so his prices and items have to viewed with skepticism. #2 The biggest reason is, these all sterling fakes have been floating around E-bay for a while, and are easily distinguishable with the poor quality detail and appearance. #3 Experience. It is something that can not be bought, I have been actively searching and acquiring EGAs for over 10 years, and have developed a pretty good eye for what looks good, what is good, what is fake, and what is fantasy.

Mike

Mike Manifor
Buying and selling Military Antiques. Specializing in hat and collar insignia (EGAs) of the USMC.
Top dollar paid.
info@eagleglobeandanchor.com
My website:www.eagleglobeandanchor.com

Visit my EGA reference section: http://www.eagleglobeandanchor.com/EGA_Reference_Section.html

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

Thanks for saving my hard-earned $$$. I've never seen the sterling ega's closest to us in the photo but they looked really sharp and appeared to have age, becuase as I said, they were blitzed down (worn in other words) but had no rope. So I was unsure. Even though I once wore the officer EGAs myself, I am no expert on them and realize that there are many periods and patterns. Kind of disappointed as they looked so nice, but that is why I asked the experts! Thanks again!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I SEARCH FOR, RESEARCH, AND PRESERVE WWII USMC COMBAT GROUPINGS; NAMED AND PATCHED BLUES AND ALPHA UNIFORMS; MEDALS; SWORDS; AND CLASS RINGS FROM THE CITADEL MILITARY COLLEGE IN CHARLESTON, SC.

Kat, I believe Mike is referring to these "gems" as the ones available on ebay (and appear to be identical to those pictured above). Aside from the unsuspecting folks who occasionally unload these "reproductions". There are two dealers, one who does, who who does not reveal this are fakes. Interesting to note they have now landed in antique malls, not surprising - too bad. s/f Darrell

post_503_1188398344.jpg

The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps. (General A. A. Vandegrift, USMC, 5 May 1946)

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Kat, I believe Mike is referring to these "gems" as the ones available on ebay (and appear to be identical to those pictured above). Aside from the unsuspecting folks who occasionally unload these "reproductions". There are two dealers, one who does, who who does not reveal this are fakes. Interesting to note they have now landed in antique malls, not surprising - too bad. s/f Darrell

Darrell, those are the exact ones for sale in the antique mall...thanks for posting these.

s/f

• 7 months later...

Fellow forum members:

You are in the Marine Corps EGA reference section. This area is were posts from the Marine Corps, USMC EGA discussion section are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. As time moves forward there maybe additional information the EGA Moderators wish to add or will add to this specific post. We ask for your input as well.

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the USMC EGA discussion area which is listed in the main page under insignia. And as needed we will be pleased to move any new and or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised; posting and or editing is restricted on Eagle, Globe and Anchor emblem threads; to moderator's and forum staff.

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

"FOR OUR TOMORROWS, THEY GAVE THEIR TODAYS"
RIP
Sgt Jesse 'Jeff Nasty' Balthaser
Sgt John P Huling
Cpl Carlos 'Gilo Monster' Gilorozco
Cpl Stephen C 'Socks' Sockalosky
LCpl Joshua A 'Scottie' Scott
LCpl Jason Lee 'Birdman' Frye
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
LCpl Osbrany 'Oz' Montes De Oca
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif