M-1 Helmet Of 1st Lt. Ruby Curtis

Bugme

Found her (in Orleans, NY):

Thanks Bob! Like I said earlier, I had not gotten into the research very far but, I did have the National Cemetery name to go off of. I was somewhat concerned since the Ruby Curtis in California would have been nearly 50 at her time of service. Not impossible but, it was improbable. The young lady you found in NY would have fit the WWII nurse profile perfectly, she would have been 25 at the onset of our involvement in WWII. Of course the little obituary piece that says she was a 1st Lt. and a Nurse, seals the deal. Thank you so much for finding the right Ruby for me! :thumbsup: I now have a good direction to go on.

Great helmet with a sweet history! And nice gesture of Steve :thumbsup:

Congrats!

It really was a nice gesture on his part. We have worked together for quite some time now offering each other first right of refusal on anything we're selling before it heads off to eBay or to another collector.

great lid mate its been good reading all about the info on her so far hope you can find out more good luck :thumbsup:

Well FS really did redirect my search from the West Coast to the East Coast so, this a few thousand mile search savings. :lol: Seriously, I now have a really solid research direction and I'll be writing to NARA with her serial number to find out more. So, in a few weeks or months, I'll have that information and will post it here.

Here I go paraphrasing,Scott.

But this Lid,is extremely nice, I would really like to own an M1 like this,so I can judge the finish,and quality,against my existing collection,and future purchases :thumbsup:

Great story on how it came into your hands too :thumbsup:

I would really like to own an M1 like this,so I can judge the finish,and quality,against my existing collection,and future purchases...

All I can say Gaz, is to look at as many genuine helmets as you can lay hands on from other collectors and inspect them, look them over, get a magnifying glass look at every detail. Develop an eye for what is true and what is a deception.

All I can say Gaz, is to look at as many genuine helmets as you can lay hands on from other collectors and inspect them, look them over, get a magnifying glass look at every detail. Develop an eye for what is true and what is a deception.

Thanks Mate,again good advice, down here in the SW of England,there's very little examples to lay my hands on,but when I get the chance too,I will be like a CSI,inspecting every last detail :thumbsup:

Theorywolf

Great to find this information. With this you can find so much more and maybe talk to friends and other family members! Enjoy the research!

Mike

Scott, that is Great helmet and nicely complements your collection! Thank you for the opportunity to see it.

Regards,

Pat

Thanks guys, I really am honored to have this now in my collection. The rarity of an identified Nurses helmet is up there with an ID'd WWII Rangers helmet. Not easy to locate and hard to acquire. To some this is just another helmet with some womans name on it. But, to a historical collector like myself, this is a historical time capsule concerning the sacrifices of our women in the Nurses ranks of the Army.

wildcat123
Thanks guys, I really am honored to have this now in my collection. The rarity of an identified Nurses helmet is up there with an ID'd WWII Rangers helmet. Not easy to locate and hard to acquire. To some this is just another helmet with some womans name on it. But, to a historical collector like myself, this is a historical time capsule concerning the sacrifices of our women in the Nurses ranks of the Army.

I think it would look fabulous next to my named WWII doctor's helmet... just saying :rolleyes:

Sweet helmet, it was agony watching you call Steve when I met you at the SOS...

Great piece! :thumbsup:

And what you mentioned.....it looks to most people as an ordinary standard M1, but it is the name and history that makes it a one of a kind!

And what you and Steve have.....isn't that they way it works these days?

When nice pieces get in to collections, they most time hit the show tables any more.

Connections are the most important!

You and you alone decide who you think appriciates an item the most.

Most time top dollar is not even mentioned, as long as you know that the piece will be appriciated and taken care of!

Great find from the both of you! :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...
Great piece! :thumbsup:

And what you mentioned.....it looks to most people as an ordinary standard M1, but it is the name and history that makes it a one of a kind!

And what you and Steve have.....isn't that they way it works these days?

When nice pieces get in to collections, they most time hit the show tables any more.

Connections are the most important!

You and you alone decide who you think appriciates an item the most.

Most time top dollar is not even mentioned, as long as you know that the piece will be appriciated and taken care of!

Great find from the both of you! :thumbsup:

It's always nice to have something in your collection appreciated. I don't know, there's just something intriguing about this helmet being worn by a nurse. I think it really adds an element of dedication on the part of the nurse corps by putting themselves in places close enough to the front in which they would need these lids.

M-1Helmet.com
Shes a beauty.....maybe she has a sister???

Very nice Scott, congrats!

If she has a sister it must be Amy

The helmets look very similar, Scott's helmet is nicer named though.

nurse.jpg

Pete

combat-helmets

Now THAT is really cool!

You don't see many (if any) female soldier helmets.

That makes this one quite rare too!

:thumbsup:

Very nice Pete! Do you have any background history on your nurse? As I've said before, I love your photo collages of these helmets. It adds so much more to the artifact. :thumbsup:

M-1Helmet.com
Amazing helmets. Would give my right arm for one like this ;-)

Deal!

PM me to exchange addresses...

Make sure to wrap it in plastic.

Pete

M-1Helmet.com
Very nice Pete! Do you have any background history on your nurse? As I've said before, I love your photo collages of these helmets. It adds so much more to the artifact. :thumbsup:

Thanks Scott.

Unfortunately I have no further info (yet) on this nurse. Any additional info would be appreciated.

I love making these collages.

Pete

Deal!

PM me to exchange addresses...

Make sure to wrap it in plastic.

Pete

Ewwwwwwwww :yucky: :lol:

Just thought of the fact that I'm right handed so I might still need it ;-)

Now to figure out what other limb to sacrifice... :think:

No seriously, amazing helmets. These things are pretty rare!

Very nice! I have a lid myself, that is attributed to a nurse. And add me to collage fan club, really does spruce the whole presentation!

• 7 months later...
Very nice! I have a lid myself, that is attributed to a nurse. And add me to collage fan club, really does spruce the whole presentation!

Well, he used to. I have it now and am thrilled to have it. Starting to have enough here to start a "Nurses Club", whatiya think :think:

-Mark