Patches in action: Photos of SSI being worn by the troops.

Teamski

3rd Armored Division NCO wearing a French SSI on the lower left sleeve of his khaki uniform.

Yeah what's that about again? I posted this guy before, a High Scoring Tank Ace, I forgot though when and where :blush::o

Southern Command SSI being worn by troops being addressed by Army Chief of Staff Gen. William C. Westmorleand at Fort Clayton, Panama Canal Zone - September 1968. Note the varied mix of OG-107 utility and jungle fatigues and color and subdued insignia including the tall officer still wearing a black and gold U.S. Army tape.

post-1761-0-25409700-1388935563.jpg

The officer on the right in the front row appears to be wearing the full color approved version of the Engineer Command Vietnam SSI. Photo was taken at the activation of the 97th Engineer Battalion at Fort Riley, KS on 22 October 1971. All appear to be wearing the Engineer branch bib.

post-1761-0-63374600-1388936363.jpg

3rd Armored Division NCO wearing a French SSI on the lower left sleeve of his khaki uniform.

I just ran across this e-Bay item that appears to be the same patch and refers to it as France War Aide.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-UNUSED-ORIGINAL-FRANCE-WAR-AIDE-/111248761188?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19e6f16164

post-1761-0-36090800-1388944282.jpg

The officer on the right in the front row appears to be wearing the full color approved version of the Engineer Command Vietnam SSI. Photo was taken at the activation of the 97th Engineer Battalion at Fort Riley, KS on 22 October 1971. All appear to be wearing the Engineer branch bib.

A real interesting photo Sean, not only are we see the Engineer Command Vietnam patch being worn as an organizational patch, we also see Engineer Command Europe too, on the center officer, and the center NCO, the CSM behind him, no idea as to why they would be wearing either patch, as they should be wearing the 5th Army one, one guess could be that these soldiers with these patches are TDY on somekind of CONUS duty from there respective commands? Engineer Command Vietnam was still active when this photo was snapped, it only closing up shop in April 1972.

detail_919CL.jpg

bootsandbooks

Southern Command SSI being worn by troops being addressed by Army Chief of Staff Gen. William C. Westmoreland at Fort Clayton, Panama Canal Zone - September 1968. Note the varied mix of OG-107 utility and jungle fatigues and color and subdued insignia including the tall officer still wearing a black and gold U.S. Army tape.

==================

Curious re the jungle fatigues. I was at Fort Clayton from Oct 67 to April 69 then at Fort Kobbe from then until Nov 69. In mid 69 my Infantry Company (Bravo 3/5) was issued the jungle fatigues as part of an evaluation by the Tropic test Command for the mosquito resistant fabric but had to be turned in at the end of the test. The company completed the JOTC course about the same time wearing the OG 107 utility.

The only other time I recall seeing anyone wearing the jungle fatigues were some of the SF and cadre at the School of the Americas. The prescribed field uniform for all others throughout the command was the OG-107 utilities.

post-22812-0-49001900-1388960092.jpg

@bootsandbooks, can't relate actual first hand experience per say on the issue of the tropical uniforms in the Canal Zone, but I do have two Tropical coats from the time period of the 60s early 70s, one a 2nd Pattern, a well used one, servicable but used, a 1st Sgt of the 193rd Brigade, a II field Force vet, all full color patches and tapes, the 193rd patch is sewn on a large square of cotton sateen material that covers a large hole, I think this Top, or maybe earlier an SFC wore this in Nam, and kept it, and ripping off the II FFV patch whatever type it was, full color U.S. or SVN, or a subdued version, ripped it off carelessly as would happen and tore the crap out the poplin material. Here I gather it's a case of him being able to where it say out in the field, it would in my estimation never be really presentable in Garrsion.

The other one is a minty 1970 dated one, a 1st Lt of the AGC, U.S. I guess made subduded tapes on poplin, I think poplin with the lettering SLANTED a younger officer I image, no combat patch, it does have a interesting U.S. made full Embroidered Black Background Southern Defense Command Flat Edge patch, you know with the ship being OD.

As a personel recollection, when I was at the 1st Cav Div Replacment Depot in mid May 1980, my first Duty Station, there was a guy from the 193rd Inf Bde with us proccesing in, his second duty station, a Spec 4 I think, or a Sgt E-5 forgot that little detail, but what I didn't forget was he one day fell out in Tropical Uniform, with Jungle Boots, seem OK none of the NCOs said anything, this gave me the empression that this unit in Panama had them, knowing now what I knew when I was discharged, this Uniform and boots could not of been a issue item of the type one gets a CIF, otherwise he'd have to turn them in, that's the usual procedure with most items, didn't find out anymore about it, what the story was on his special fatiques, which I recognized right away, I wish I had talked to him, but as you would imagine we had other things to tend to proccesing in.

bootsandbooks

No shoulder patches visible here but another example/anomaly of jungle fatigues at Fort Clayton, Panama Canal Zone in early 1969.

This photo was taken during the USARSO Pistol Matches. I can't tell what is on the beret flash but it does appear the fatigue jacket has been fully stripped suggesting to me it is a team uniform, not representing a unit. The gentleman with the white trimmed black baseball cap was with the Canal Zone Police and the couple on the right civilians from another local team.

The captain of the Fort Clayton team was assigned to the IAGS (Inter-American Geodetic Survey) and some of the team members were assigned to the 3rd Civil Affairs Group and they wore their regulation uniforms with insignia during the matches as did official teams of other posts, units and services.

In addition to the USARSO matches in 68 and 69 I was also involved in conducting the Pan-Am matches and many of those south and central American teams did have US issued jungle fatigues but those might have been from having attended the School of the Americas.

I dug out the Tropic Test jungle fatigue uniform I was issued in Panama (I left for VN on short notice before the test ended and did not turn in mine - It was left stateside with my hold baggage). It has the full color Jingle Expert Patch on the right pocket and full color 193rd Bde SSI as I do not believe either were available or authorized subdued in Panama in 1969. It does have sewn-on subdued rank and branch collar insignia and printed black on green name and U S Army tapes (that one is nylon).

post-22812-0-91821500-1388984110.jpg

bootsandbooks

Thank's for that photo, this is another example of a Tropical Coat worn in Panama, originally posted by member Mr X

uniforms360.jpg

And the Topic it came from.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/22482-col-charles-c-allisons-uniforms/

Sharp uniform, but curious that he is not wearing the 193rd SSI - Isn't that the Korean War era 508th RCT? Also why no combat SSI or CIB (unless hidden under the lapel? I don't know when this style of embroidered name tapes were available - is it possible this is his commemorative uniform rather than one worn for duty?

I actually had some limited contact with LTC Allison. The 193rd Infantry Brigade was spread over 3 posts on both ends of the Canal Zone. The 4/20 (Mech) at Fort Clayton, the 4/10 Inf at Fort Davis and the 3/508th (Abn) and Brigade Hq at Fort Kobbe. The CO of the Post of Fort Clayton had administrative control of all the Army training areas on the Pacific side and the CO of Fort Davis on the Atlantic which included Fort Gulick (School of the Americas) and Fort Sherman (JOTC). I was initially assigned to the S-3 of Fort Clayton and coordinated usage of the areas.

It was somewhat ironic as the rifle range was closer to Fort Kobbe and across the canal form Fort Clayton and the range officer there was assigned to the 193rd Brigade. I was the pistol range officer which was located at Fort Clayton.

The 3/508th (Abn) was reflagged as the 3/5th Infantry in mid 1968 but retained one Airborne company (Alpha) and the Battalion Command and Staff.

This was my jungle fatigue shirt. Note the 193rd SSI is missing but the ghost is visible. I had 48 hours notice of my PCS to Vietnam with a 2 week TDY at Fort Benning enroute in November so had to have the patch for my Class A Greens. My buddy prepped my uniform while I cleared post and inventoried the property of the 3/5th HHC of which I was then CO. Half of my personnel and equioment were 70 miles down country at Rio Hato.

post-22812-0-85713000-1388990648.jpg

@boots, it is odd with the 508th RCT patch, it was worn right before the unit was incorporated into the new activated 193rd Inf Bde (sep), do you recall at all the patch being worn in lieu of the 193rd Inf Bde's when you were there? Thank's to on the info of your service, it's a privilage to talk with you.

Some info from an older topic.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/upgradetest/index.php?/topic/72512-508th-airborne-rct/

flashesandovals

@boots, it is odd with the 508th RCT patch, it was worn right before the unit was incorporated into the new activated 193rd Inf Bde (sep), do you recall at all the patch being worn in lieu of the 193rd Inf Bde's when you were there? Thank's to on the info of your service, it's a privilage to talk with you.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/upgradetest/index.php?/topic/72512-508th-airborne-rct/

Correct!

Both the 508th RCT SSI & Pocket Patch became obsolete before the tropical uniforms became available.

bootsandbooks

Boy, I wish I could remember. Although I was in Panama for most of the final year of the 3/508th's service, I was primarily at Fort Clayton. By the time I transferred to the 3/5th Inf in the 193rd Brigade, the reflagging was almost a year old.

I'm going to check for some old parade slides I've never gotten around to scanning for clues. The first photo from your link has the 508th RCT SSI but also the white name tapes. The same photo is used on the cover of Stanton's U S Army Uniforms of the Cold War but the caption only defines the dates as the1960s at Fort Kobbe.

Another possibility is the biography of MOH recipient Joe Ronnie Hooper.

SSG Hooper had served in the 3/508th before his 67-68 Vietnam tour in the 101st. In mid 1969 he returned to Panama, and was told by the USARSO CG he could have any assignment he wanted. He had been the Commo section sergeant in HHC and also a platoon sergeant in Bravo Company in 1966 and 1967.

It was as if he was interviewing me - I was by then the HHC CO and had previously been the Bravo XO. I did not mind - he was a stand up guy and pretty low key about his status - his earlier year in the 3/508th had a couple of rough spots. He settled on Alpha (Abn)3/508th and served there a year until he was able to return to Vietnam, once again with the 101st.

Thank you for the complement. My two years in Panama as a green mustang were a plum assignment, especially the 18 months at Hq Fort Clayton. In retrospect I wish I had more troop time. In October 1969 I had my ETS orders in hand when I extended and requested reassignment to Vietnam, which resulted in the very quick approval and short out-processing.