Jump to content

Patches in action: Photos of SSI being worn by the troops.


Teamski
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • 2 weeks later...
patches

Nisei students from 4 different units at the Military Intelligence Service Language School Presidio of San Francisco I think pre Pearl Harbor in November 1941, 40th Division, 7th Division, Army Ground Forces, and 4th Army

marr.PNG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
seanmc1114

The Civil Affairs mission in the Korean War began as an ad-hoc effort but rapidly grew. As the strategic situation of the war evolved, so did the role of CA. Although U.S. combat divisions had separate CA officers assigned to their staffs, a Far East Command (FECOM) element, the 8201st Army Unit (AU), was the main effort. The 8201st AU had four different titles in its short lifespan from 1950 to 1955: the UN Public Health and Welfare Detachment, the United Nations Civil Assistance Command (UNCAC), the United Nations Civil Assistance Command, Korea (UNCACK), and the Korea Civil Assistance Command (KCAC). 

Korean Civil Assistance Command.1.jpg

Korean Civil Assistance Command.4.jpg

Korean Civil Assistance Command.5.jpg

Korean Civil Assistance Command.2.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

seanmc1114

Here's an interesting one. The soldier is Chaplain Angelo Liteky who earned the Medal of Honor while serving with the 199th Infantry Brigade in Vietnam. The caption on the back of the photo indicates it was taken at a 199th fire base in June 1968 by a member of the 199th Information Office. But notice that he is wearing a 1st Infantry Division SSI. 

1st Infantry Division.Angelo Liteky.1968.1.jpg

1st Infantry Division.Angelo Liteky.1968.2.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, seanmc1114 said:

Here's an interesting one. The soldier is Chaplain Angelo Liteky who earned the Medal of Honor while serving with the 199th Infantry Brigade in Vietnam. The caption on the back of the photo indicates it was taken at a 199th fire base in June 1968 by a member of the 199th Information Office. But notice that he is wearing a 1st Infantry Division SSI. 

1st Infantry Division.Angelo Liteky.1968.1.jpg

1st Infantry Division.Angelo Liteky.1968.2.jpg

Maybe he just never changed his SSI?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

439th Signal Battalion
2 hours ago, seanmc1114 said:

Here's an interesting one. The soldier is Chaplain Angelo Liteky who earned the Medal of Honor while serving with the 199th Infantry Brigade in Vietnam. The caption on the back of the photo indicates it was taken at a 199th fire base in June 1968 by a member of the 199th Information Office. But notice that he is wearing a 1st Infantry Division SSI. 

1st Infantry Division.Angelo Liteky.1968.1.jpg

1st Infantry Division.Angelo Liteky.1968.2.jpg

Chaplain Liteky was never with the 1st, only the 199th LIB.  Liteky was pretty nonchalant.  I'd say that he just picked up a jacket from resupply and put that one on like most of the other field personnel.  (I don't see any rank or collar insignia either).    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

seanmc1114

Major General Edward M. Almond who commanded the 92nd Infantry Division in the United States though its combat in Italy from 1942 to 1945. Note in the first photo, which may have been taken stateside since he does not yet have any of the European-African-Middle Eastern Theater ribbon, that he is wearing the Army Air Forces Aircraft Observer wings. The only connection I can find to justify that in his Wikipedia entry is that he attended the Air Corps Tactical School in 1939 or 1940. I can't find any other picture with him wearing the badge.      

92nd Infantry Division.Edward Almond.3.jpg

92nd Infantry Division.Edward Almond.2.jpg

92nd Infantry Division.Edward Almond.1.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

seanmc1114

Major General Edward M. Almond commanded the 2nd Infantry Division at Camp Swift, Texas from 1945 to 1946.

2nd Infantry Division.Edward Almond.2.jpg

2nd Infantry Division.Edward Almond.3.Camp Swift.1946.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ranger-1972
25 minutes ago, patches said:

This something I just discovered, Almond's Son was KIA in the Alsace with the 45th Inf Div.

 

Captain Edward Mallory Almond Jr.

C.O. Company L 157th Infantry

 

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/7609350/edward-mallory-almond

 

His son-in-law, Major Thomas Taylor Galloway (USMA '42), was a fighter pilot (in the 436th Fighter Squadron) who was also killed in Europe (France) during WWII (24 Jul 1944). Maj. Thomas Taylor “Tom” Galloway (1919-1944) - Find a Grave Memorial

 

General Almond died in San Antonio, Texas in 1979.

 

VMI still awards the Lieutenant General Edward Mallory Almond '15 Award annually to the First Classman (senior) for academic, athletic, and military excellence.  There is also a portrait of the general in the VMI library (showing him wearing the X Corps SSI).  It is on the same floor as the portrait of then-General George C. Marshall, VMI '01, when he was serving as the Army Chief of Staff during WWII.

 

image.png.67b41114258b39feb7cb49d50550f889.png

 

image.png.bd932adf6b4504cc26960c61f5826846.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

seanmc1114

Major General Ashton H. Manhart, commanding general of the 5th Infantry Division and Fort Carson - April 1962. Note the miniature Combat Infantryman Badge.

5th Infantry Division.Ashton Manhart.1962.1.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rhscott
On 6/1/2024 at 12:36 AM, Ranger-1972 said:

 

His son-in-law, Major Thomas Taylor Galloway (USMA '42), was a fighter pilot (in the 436th Fighter Squadron) who was also killed in Europe (France) during WWII (24 Jul 1944). Maj. Thomas Taylor “Tom” Galloway (1919-1944) - Find a Grave Memorial

 

General Almond died in San Antonio, Texas in 1979.

 

VMI still awards the Lieutenant General Edward Mallory Almond '15 Award annually to the First Classman (senior) for academic, athletic, and military excellence.  There is also a portrait of the general in the VMI library (showing him wearing the X Corps SSI).  It is on the same floor as the portrait of then-General George C. Marshall, VMI '01, when he was serving as the Army Chief of Staff during WWII.

 

image.png.67b41114258b39feb7cb49d50550f889.png

 

image.png.bd932adf6b4504cc26960c61f5826846.png

The 1st Marine Div had a different opinion of General Almond

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Rhscott said:

The 1st Marine Div had a different opinion of General Almond

As did some in the Army about his command of the 92nd Infantry Division in Italy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

seanmc1114

Brigadier General Robert D. Terry, commanding general of the 1st Signal Brigade, and LTC John P. Dobbins, commanding officer of the 69th Signal Battalion, wearing the Strategic Communications Command SSI in Vietnam on 11 October 1966. The SSI for the 1st Signal Brigade was only approved by the Institute of Heraldry on 5 October 1966.  

 

 

 

 

STRATCOM.Vietnam.10-12-1966.1.jpg

STRATCOM.Vietnam.10-12-1966.3.jpg

STRATCOM.1.jpg

1st Signal Brigade.1.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

seanmc1114

Brigadier General Ray D. Free, commanding general of the 96th Army Reserve Command - 1968

96th ARCOM.1968.1.jpg

96th ARCOM.1968.2.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...