Patches in action: Photos of SSI being worn by the troops.

Teamski

A couple of seldom seen MOS's of the 173rd Airborne Brigade.

First is a Dental Corps officer around 1966. I can't imagine there were more than one or at most two such officers assigned to the brigade at any one tim.

Second is an aviator, probably from the 173rd's Casper Platoon and late in the war based on the pocket patches and grooming. I don't see any rank, so I can't tell if he's an officer, warrant officer or enlisted.

173rd Airborne Brigade.Dental Corps.jpg

173rd Airborne Brigade.Dental Corps.2.jpg

173rd Airborne Brigade.Aviator.2.jpg

1st Cavalry Division SSI worn on a short sleeve khaki shirt - which I don't believe was authorized - in South Korea around 1961. It doesn't look like any rank other than PFC and possibly Corporal would have fit on the sleeve with that big SSI.

1st Cavalry Division.Khaki.Short Sleeve.1.jpg

Salvage Sailor
5 hours ago, seanmc1114 said:

Second is an aviator, probably from the 173rd's Casper Platoon and late in the war based on the pocket patches and grooming. I don't see any rank, so I can't tell if he's an officer, warrant officer or enlisted.

173rd Airborne Brigade.Aviator.2.jpg

He's wearing the Peace (Eagle) patch with no Eagle, here's the Peace Eagle that I wore on my jacket

PeaceEagle001.jpg.b3d5f2feb6022df803a398462fb5f028.jpg

Very old photo, have to dig it out and shoot some new ones

I remember these patches being sold in comic books when I was a kid. Never knew they were worn in the military! Thanks for sharing. Here's a couple I've picked up thru the years. Didn't want them as a kid, but now they're part of history. 

20231215_114748.jpg

20231215_114758.jpg

15 hours ago, seanmc1114 said:

1st Cavalry Division SSI worn on a short sleeve khaki shirt - which I don't believe was authorized - in South Korea around 1961. It doesn't look like any rank other than PFC and possibly Corporal would have fit on the sleeve with that big SSI.

1st Cavalry Division.Khaki.Short Sleeve.1.jpg

I think his shirt has been purposely truncated because of his arm injury, and that it indeed is your standard long Sleeve Khaki shirt of this period.

• 2 weeks later...

Brigadier General Richard J. Allen, commander of the 173rd Airborne Brigade from March through December 1968, with actor Fess Parker in Vietnam. Note the general's insignia other than the 173rd SSI is direct embroidered and subdued. Also not how tiny General Allen looks next to Fess parker.  

173rd Airborne Brigade.1968.General Allen.Fess parker.jpg

Just now, patches said:

Color Cav sighting, an Aviator, a Commissioned Pilot,1st Lieutenant, Branch Armor, probably in the 1/9 Cav as he's wearing a Cav hat, 1969.

color cav.PNG

Wearing his Hat like in F Troop emoticonlaugh.png.7d036f4e541ecb0b0989a19e6e48e698.png

cpl agan sgt o rouke.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
seanmc1114

Moments after being wounded by enemy fire SFC Howard C. Breedlove of the Department of the Army Special Photographic Office (DASPO) receives medical attention from 2Lt. Richard M. Griffith (DASPO). This scene was received on Plantation Rd in Gia Dinh, a suburb of Saigon. This action was part of what became known as the Post-Tet Offensive or the May Offensive of 1968. Several days later Lt. Griffith was also wounded.  

The lieutenant is wearing a full color Technical and Administrative Services SSI, formerly Army Service Forces.

Army Service Forces.DASPO.)5-1969.1.jpg

seanmc1114

Medics and Medical Corps and Medical Service Corps officers of the 1st Battaion 77th Armor 1st Brigade 5th Infantry Division at the battalion's aid station at Quang Tri - 1970. Note the 77th Armor pocket patches.

The last four photos show Captain James Evans, battalion surgeon of the 1/77th.

5th Infantry Division.1-77th Armor.1.jpg

5th Infantry Division.1-77th Armor.2.jpg

5th Infantry Division.1-77th Armor.3.jpg

5th Infantry Division.1-77th Armor.4.jpg

5th Infantry Division.1-77th Armor.5.jpg

5th Infantry Division.1-77th Armor.6.jpg

5th Infantry Division.1-77th Armor.7.jpg

5th Infantry Division.1-77th Armor.8.jpg

5th Infantry Division.1-77th Armor.9.jpg

5th Infantry Division.1-77th Armor.10.jpg

5th Infantry Division.1-77th Armor.11.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
seanmc1114

It's hard to make out, but this 28 year Army veteran is wearing the 7th Armored Division SSI in this 1943 Fort Benning newspaper clipping.

7th Armored Division.Technical Sergeant.1943.1.jpg

seanmc1114

Photos from the personal scrapbook of an 11th AIr Assault Division Artillery officer from 1963-1964.

11th Air Assault Division.Artillery.1963.1.jpg

11th Air Assault Division.Artillery.1963.2.jpg

11th Air Assault Division.Artillery.1963.3.jpg

11th Air Assault Division.Artillery.1963.4.jpg

11th Air Assault Division.Artillery.1963.5.jpg

11th Air Assault Division.Artillery.1963.6.jpg

11th Air Assault Division.Artillery.1963.7.jpg

11th Air Assault Division.Artillery.1963.8.SLA Marshall.jpg

11th Air Assault Division.Artillery.1963.9.Kinnars.Idea Center.jpg

11th Air Assault Division.Artillery.1963.10.jpg

11th Air Assault Division.Artillery.1963.11.jpg

11th Air Assault Division.Artillery.1963.12.jpg

11th Air Assault Division.Artillery.1963.13.jpg

seanmc1114

Photos showing members of the 125th Infantry Regiment of the Michigan National Guard's 46th Infantry Division from 1948 through 1957. Notice in the first photo from 1948, they are not wearing any SSI. 

46th Infantry Division.5.jpg

46th Infantry Division.3.jpg

46th Infantry Division.4.jpg

46th Infantry Division.6.jpg

46th Infantry Division.7.jpg

46th Infantry Division.8.jpg

46th Infantry Division.9.jpg

46th Infantry Division.10.jpg

46th Infantry Division.1.jpg

46th Infantry Division.SSI.png

seanmc1114

Sergeant of the 173rd Airborne Brigade during a MEDCAP on 6 October 1966. Note that he is wearing a full color 173rd SSI and Combat Medical Badge on his second pattern jungle fatigues but no jump wings. The Medical Corps officer behind him is wearing jump wings along with wings, presumably the Flight Surgeon Badge.   

173rd Airborne Brigade.Combat Medic Badge.1.jpg

Ohio Military Reserve, correct me if I'm wrong, but this unit is the State Guard of Ohio.

Ronald F. Nissen, served a lot of years, starting as a RA Enlistee 1964-67, an Engineer, then the Ohio NG, then the Ohio MR, retiring apparently in 2008 as a E-9.

ohio Ronald F. Nissen.PNGohio.PNG.2c1751bbd1f117cc325967f0a308c793.PNG

seanmc1114

Captain James G. Garvey, advisor to the ARVN Ranger Training Center, wearing a U.S. made MACV SSI and crude theater made RANGER tab in 1965.

MACV.Ranger Tab.ARVN Ranger Training Center.1965.1.jpg

MACV.Ranger Tab.ARVN Ranger Training Center.1965.2.jpg

MACV.Ranger Tab.ARVN Ranger Training Center.1965.3.jpg

seanmc1114

Ryukyus Command with gold on black AIRBORNE tab worn by a member of the U.S. Army Broadcast & Visual Activity, Pacific on TDY to MACV Psychological Warfare Operation in Vietnam in September 1965. Army Broadcast & Visual Activity, Pacific was succeeded by the 7th Psychological Operations Group which was activated in October 1965.

Ryukyus Command.Airborne Tab.1.jpg

Ryukyus Command.Airborne Tab.2.jpg

seanmc1114

Brigadier Salve H. Matheson, commanding general of the 1st Brigade 101st Airborne Division, wearing a 101st SSI on his left sleeve and a Task Force Oregon SSI as a pocket patch - September 1967.

101st Airborne Division.Task Force Oregon.09-1967.1.jpg

101st Airborne Division.Task Force Oregon.09-1967.3.jpg

101st Airborne Division.Task Force Oregon.09-1967.2.jpg

Task Force Oregon.jpg

Now here's one for youse.

Army Ground Forces being worn by one 1st Lt. Robert Longini. Photo says November, Germans captured at or near  Fedala Morocco during Operation Torch, but that of course is impossible, never did Axis troops get anywhere near Morocco, has to be in December, and in Algeria, because U.S. Forces that landed in Algeria didn't come up against the Germans or Italians till December during the Allies first forays over the border into Tunisia. All these Germans (Not sure what's the deal with the Civilian Prisoner, maybe a Vichyite Functionary who's was wanted??? ) are wearing the Field Grey Wool Uniforms which was typical of the two German Divisions and other sundry units rushed from Germany to Tunisia, these being the 10th Panzer Division and the 334th Infantry Division, they gradually got some Tropical Items though.

Now for Longini wearing this patch, we guess it's one of those cases where man was in unit stateside and never bothered too remove it, never was told to remove it, or in this case Longini is on say TDY for  AGF, and will head home after this mission he may be on for. Also note he's wearing still the Invasion Armband, something worn on landing for recognition for the Vichy French, curious right, pretty  sure the French know by now he's American LOL. 

army ground forcess dec 26 42.PNG

army ground forces g Lt. Robert Longini.PNG

• 2 weeks later...
Salvage Sailor
On 6/9/2017 at 11:26 PM, Salvage Sailor said:

I Corps, Zebra Club, Fort Shafter Hawaii

Reactivated for service in World War II, the corps took command of divisions in the south Pacific, leading US and Australian forces as they pushed the Japanese army out of New Guinea. It went on to be one of the principal leading elements in the Battle of Luzon, liberating the Philippines. It then took charge as one of the commanding headquarters in the occupation of Japan.

Deployed to Korea at the start of the Korean War, the corps was one of three corps that remained in the country for the entire conflict, commanding US, British, and South Korean forces through three years of back-and-forth campaigns against North Korean and Chinese forces

Fort Shafter NCO Club 01.JPG

I (eye) Corps again, this time in Korea

ICorpsKorea001.jpg.7cfc519c159501c16e4890afaddfe608.jpg

ICorpsKorea002.jpg.30ab529d4dd956be8214f533ac2c110b.jpg

ICorpsKorea022.jpg.f854a1588a9c5d07d2bad8691749d35e.jpg

ICorpsKorea013.jpg.99b5e64d2f49fbbf28c3b26ec1fae2c3.jpg