Jump to content

Patches in action: Photos of SSI being worn by the troops.


Teamski
 Share

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Ranger-1972 said:

Could be that he went through aviation school after this photo was taken.  I had friends who served a tour in the infantry or artillery, and then became aviators later in their career (the Army was ramping up rotary-wing aviation during the Vietnam War).

True, but that would mean he was already a warrant officer serving in some other capacity in a unit of the Alabama National Guard on jump status before attending flight school. Not impossible, just unusual.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fifth Army. Master Sgt. Talmadge Driggers tightening the regulation jumping saddle on his US Army mule, Hambone. I believe the photo is from 1949. What style of rank chevrons is he wearing? They look like the smaller women's version. The third photo shows his China-Burma-India Theater combat patch.

Fifth Army.1949.Mule.jpg

Fifth Army.1949.Mule.2.jpg

Fifth Army.1949.Mule.3.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

U.S. Army Cooking School held at the Presidio, August 22, 1949. Private Allen Barrett in the white, serves food to Sgt Alice Goldych (l) and Sgt. Grace Preston. Sgt. Goldych is wearing the China Headquarters SSI as a combat patch.

Combat Patch.Female.Unknown.1949.jpg

Combat Patch.China Headquarters.jpg

China Headquarters.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, patches said:

We noticed he isn't wearing the Aviator Badge, if he was a Aviator surly we would think he'd wear one, a cloth one just above his jump wings.

 

One the tab, note he has his meal badge on an Oval, looks like the genic Infantry type right. got to be some kind of jump unit under Alabama HQ,, a small and obscured one.

The 20th SF had a aviation company attached to it from about 1961 to 1985.  I'll post this over to the group FB page to see if anyone can answer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, seanmc1114 said:

Warrant officer with a senior parachutist badge wearing the Alabama National Guard SSI with AIRBORNE tab. I have no idea what unit that might represent, but he was an aviator and served with the 15th Medical Battalion in Vietnam 1967-1968.

78DCAFD2-B7E7-4DB0-B2AA-353305902A60.jpeg

 

13 hours ago, patches said:

We noticed he isn't wearing the Aviator Badge, if he was a Aviator surly we would think he'd wear one, a cloth one just above his jump wings.

 

One the tab, note he has his meal badge on an Oval, looks like the genic Infantry type right. got to be some kind of jump unit under Alabama HQ,, a small and obscured one.

 

13 hours ago, Ranger-1972 said:

Could be that he went through aviation school after this photo was taken.  I had friends who served a tour in the infantry or artillery, and then became aviators later in their career (the Army was ramping up rotary-wing aviation during the Vietnam War).

 

46 minutes ago, steeve555 said:

The 20th SF had a aviation company attached to it from about 1961 to 1985.  I'll post this over to the group FB page to see if anyone can answer.

Here's a link to an article about this guy. It's hard to figure out too much about his service prior to Vietnam other than he went to jump school at Fort Campbell.

 

https://www.andalusiastarnews.com/2021/10/22/jimmie-joe-hassell-cwo4-u-s-army-helicopter-medevac-pilot-vietnam-distinguished-flying-cross/?fbclid=IwAR1s6Sty95u-qN8k2lz0myzbr8elEpiU-sfRsQXhr-Si7HMuIajCZNxrlKY

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, seanmc1114 said:

 

 

 

Here's a link to an article about this guy. It's hard to figure out too much about his service prior to Vietnam other than he went to jump school at Fort Campbell.

 

https://www.andalusiastarnews.com/2021/10/22/jimmie-joe-hassell-cwo4-u-s-army-helicopter-medevac-pilot-vietnam-distinguished-flying-cross/?fbclid=IwAR1s6Sty95u-qN8k2lz0myzbr8elEpiU-sfRsQXhr-Si7HMuIajCZNxrlKY

 

Sorry it took so long.  Here is answer

 

"That was the Patch that we wore in the 123 ARE&D unit before we were rolled into the 20th. That was FY 68 , I think.."    

 

I don't know what acronym stands for.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, steeve555 said:

Sorry it took so long.  Here is answer

 

"That was the Patch that we wore in the 123 ARE&D unit before we were rolled into the 20th. That was FY 68 , I think.."    

 

I don't know what acronym stands for.  

Heres the acronym   "Aerial Repair Equiptment and Delivery"

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, steeve555 said:

Heres the acronym   "Aerial Repair Equiptment and Delivery"

 

Slight change and more description

The 123rd was a Quartermaster Unit . The Letters may have stood for Aerial Resupply Equipment and Delivery. We were at Pell City and Birmingham and Later reorganized and put in with the 20th.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From the link that was provided:

"Hassell joined the Army on September 7, 1955, through the Army Specialized School Program for a course in Radar and Electronics. He took basic training and airborne infantry training at Fort Jackson, South Carolina, where he was assigned to Company K, 506th Airborne Infantry Regiment. On January 6, 1956, he was assigned to the Signals School at Fort Monmouth, New Jersey, for Radar and Electronics School. Upon completion, he was sent to Fort Bragg, North Carolina, where he trained as a medic. Later, he was sent to Fort Campbell, Kentucky, where he earned his Parachutist Badge. He served two years in Germany before he was accepted for flight training at Fort Rucker, Alabama." 

 

That link doesn't indicate when he served with the NG -- it could have been a break in active duty service.  The article says he finished flight school and became a Chief Warrant Officer just before deploying to Vietnam in 1967.  His tombstone shows that he became a CW4.  The photo shows Hassell as a WO1, not a CW2, so presumably it was taken before 1967. He might have been an active-duty WO detailed to the National Guard in the mid-1960s, before going to flight school.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Correction - he is wearing the rank of a CW2, so this may be after flight school and after he got back from Vietnam in the late 1960s.  Might not be wearing his flight wings because he was not in an aviation unit / position.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, seanmc1114 said:

Warrant officer with a senior parachutist badge wearing the Alabama National Guard SSI with AIRBORNE tab. I have no idea what unit that might represent, but he was an aviator and served with the 15th Medical Battalion in Vietnam 1967-1968.

78DCAFD2-B7E7-4DB0-B2AA-353305902A60.jpeg

The 123rd was a Quartermaster Unit . The Letters may have stood for Aerial Resupply Equipment and Delivery. They were at Pell City and Birmingham and Later reorganized and put in with the 20th.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lt. General Robert L. Eichelberger, commander of the Eight Army, inspects troops of the 24th Infantry Regiment, 25th Infantry Division, at Camp Majestic, Gifu, Japan, April 10, 1947. 

25th Infantry Division.Japan.1948.Eichelberger.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/23/2021 at 8:47 PM, seanmc1114 said:

Warrant officer with a senior parachutist badge wearing the Alabama National Guard SSI with AIRBORNE tab. I have no idea what unit that might represent, but he was an aviator and served with the 15th Medical Battalion in Vietnam 1967-1968.

78DCAFD2-B7E7-4DB0-B2AA-353305902A60.jpeg

 

On 10/23/2021 at 11:06 PM, Ranger-1972 said:

Could be that he went through aviation school after this photo was taken.  I had friends who served a tour in the infantry or artillery, and then became aviators later in their career (the Army was ramping up rotary-wing aviation during the Vietnam War).

 

12 hours ago, Ranger-1972 said:

From the link that was provided:

"Hassell joined the Army on September 7, 1955, through the Army Specialized School Program for a course in Radar and Electronics. He took basic training and airborne infantry training at Fort Jackson, South Carolina, where he was assigned to Company K, 506th Airborne Infantry Regiment. On January 6, 1956, he was assigned to the Signals School at Fort Monmouth, New Jersey, for Radar and Electronics School. Upon completion, he was sent to Fort Bragg, North Carolina, where he trained as a medic. Later, he was sent to Fort Campbell, Kentucky, where he earned his Parachutist Badge. He served two years in Germany before he was accepted for flight training at Fort Rucker, Alabama." 

 

That link doesn't indicate when he served with the NG -- it could have been a break in active duty service.  The article says he finished flight school and became a Chief Warrant Officer just before deploying to Vietnam in 1967.  His tombstone shows that he became a CW4.  The photo shows Hassell as a WO1, not a CW2, so presumably it was taken before 1967. He might have been an active-duty WO detailed to the National Guard in the mid-1960s, before going to flight school.  

 

11 hours ago, Ranger-1972 said:

Correction - he is wearing the rank of a CW2, so this may be after flight school and after he got back from Vietnam in the late 1960s.  Might not be wearing his flight wings because he was not in an aviation unit / position.

He's wearing the black on white nametape and gold on black U.S. Army tape suggesting this was probably no later than 1967 and possibly much earlier in the 60's. He clearly had some time serving with airborne units, because he's wearing the senior parachutist badge. That required 30 or more jumps, graduation from a jumpmaster course and at least 24 months on jump status with an airborne unit. The 123rd unit referred to above may have been a quartermaster company (There is a current 123rd Quartermaster Company in the Alabama National Guard) and he may have been a parachute rigger, although he is not wearing that badge. It's hard to find a whole lot of info on the 123rd, but it does appear to have been a quartermaster company and there also appears to have been a 123rd Supply and Service Company assigned to the Alabama National Guard. I'm not sure if they were different iterations of the same unit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My source was an individule from unit  It was the 123RD Aerial Resupply Equipment and Delivery unit. The 123rd was a Quartermaster Unit . They were at Pell City and Birmingham and later reorganized and put in with the 20th rigger section.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Army Ground Forces SSI worn by members of the 124th Cavalry Regiment while guarding the U.S./Mexican border near Brownsville, Texas in 1942. The 124th was a unit of the Texas National Guard federalized in 1940 as part of the 56th Cavalry Brigade.

Army Ground Forces.Cavalry.Texas.1942.jpg

124th Cavalry.DUI.2.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Primoris Scio

IX Corps - 583rd Engineer Construction Group based at Camp Sendai, he earned both his Parachute and Glider badges at Camp Schimmelpfennig in 1947 when it was operated by the 11th ABN during Occupation Duty in Japan.  Note his occupation ribbon bar is worn in reversed order, and only one badge at a time was authorized for wear on the uniform.

 

841402825_IXCorps-583rdEngConstGroup.jpg.1c6952f3e8014077a97af2f6321c309d.jpg

765495827_IXCorpsSSI.jpg.8e0da0db7c261a7258f36367a96fbdc0.jpg

1870291902_CampSchimmelpfennigMainGate.jpg.c89bb560d2f7f4ddafbe8b22cc8330c5.jpg1325237157_CampSendai.jpg.ad2e7fbd42f56fc932f634c047aaa338.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Salvage Sailor

More Kagnew Station (Asmara, Eritrea) from my files

 

956995257_KagnewStationpatch001.jpg.af02ebf18a6a113e7367c975f170bca0.jpg

 

398817506_KagnewStationpatch002.jpg.83c34e4ded050c0334e0a29480303f10.jpg

 

1507048520_KagnewStationpatch003.jpg.ef613369b7a146942ae252574bed3097.jpg

 

1769402730_KagnewStationpatch004.jpg.a7b03b0e01d1eedcf2a76bb1b8cadd35.jpg

 

2082385161_KagnewStationpatch005.jpg.5242fbe6309d81d5b953e1fbf3a01059.jpg

 

401331919_KagnewStationpatch006.jpg.e4b0f568f4d9a0809cd84dcfd0bd1866.jpg

 

1263417412_KagnewStationpatch007.jpg.107f1592bca73d278910b382ff7c2d0a.jpg

 

166925451_KagnewStationpatch008.jpg.072e7d64644a373a79fa0df2548302d0.jpg

 

IMG_9721.JPG.af01b114b6ba19b4d932a562fc4ce703.JPG

Pre-Kagnew Station Units, Radio Marina (occupied Italian Navy Radio Transmitter Site, later named Kagnew Station)

TSU-9434 (US Signal Corps) & NCU-3 (Naval Communications Unit Three)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, seanmc1114 said:

A Marine and soldier wearing a First Army SSI with colored center in London in early 1942.

First Army.London.2-1942.jpg

Looks like a Quartermaster Corps Woolie,

 

Just like this one.

t1s-l1600_1.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...