Jump to content

Patches in action: Photos of SSI being worn by the troops.


Teamski
 Share

Recommended Posts

I found the following information on the Facebook page of the Pennsylvania National Guard's 111th Infantry Regiment. I found it to be an interesting visualization of the chronology of the various SSI worn by members of the unit from World War I to the present.

111th Infantry Regiment.1.jpg

111th Infantry Regiment.2.jpg

111th Infantry Regiment.3.jpg

111th Infantry Regiment.4.jpg

111th Infantry Regiment.5.jpg

111th Infantry Regiment.6.jpg

111th Infantry Regiment.7.jpg

111th Infantry Regiment.8.jpg

111th Infantry Regiment.9.jpg

111th Infantry Regiment.10.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

mysteriousoozlefinch

spacer.png

Officers of the 27th Infantry Regiment, Massachusetts State Guard wearing the second MSG SSI.  The 27th was from the Boston metro area and all African-American.  In this picture, Major Harvey Wilson (DSC when a Lieutenant of the 372nd Infantry in WWI) gives orders to Captain Clement Isaacs, adjutant, and 1st Lieutenant Ulric Grisby, HQ detachment commander.  From the Boston Globe, May 21, 1943.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

NCO's of the 25th Infantry Division in Hawaii prior to shipping out for Vietnam in 1966. Note the sergeant on the right is wearing a Military Assistance Command Vietnam combat patch from a prior tour.

25th Infantry Division.1966.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Major General Alexander Bolling, commanding general of the 84th Infantry Division in World War II, being presented a medal by General Of The Army Dwight D. Eisenhower. Note General Bolling is wearing a RAILSPLITTER tab beneath his 84th SSI.

84th Infantry Division.Railsplittersd Tab.3.Bolling & Eisenhower.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Soldiers of the 65th Infantry Regiment of the Puerto Rico National Guard attached to the 3rd Infantry Division during the Korean War.

3rd Infantry Division.65th Infantry Regiment.2.png

3rd Infantry Division.65th Infantry Regiment.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Members of the 278th Regimental Combat Team wearing the First Army SSI in 1951. From what I have seen, the various National Guard regimental combat teams that were constituted beginning in the late 1940's tended to intitially wear the Army Ground Forces SSI then transitioned to the SSI of the Army in whose territoty yhey were assigned around 1950. They then began wearing their newly approved RCT SSI around 1954 or so.  

First Army.278th RCT.1951.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Brigadier General J.B. McDonald, Commanding General of the 181st Infantry Brigade, 91st Division. La Ferte-Bernard, Sarthe, France, after the Meuse-Argonne campaign.

World War I.91st Infantry Division.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, seanmc1114 said:

NCO's of the 25th Infantry Division in Hawaii prior to shipping out for Vietnam in 1966. Note the sergeant on the right is wearing a Military Assistance Command Vietnam combat patch from a prior tour.

25th Infantry Division.1966.jpg

There's a good chance this sergeant served as a door gunner, the 2nd Bn 14th Inf TDY as the 2nd  Machinegun Platoon (Provisional) December 7 1963, with apperantly another group sent out to replace the first from the battalion for more TDY in September 1964. As far as we can tell, the Machinegun Platoons (Provisional) were assigned to MACV, and their people not qualifying for the CIB, nor apparently for Aircrewman Badges, though its possible they may have worn them later in their careers, if they were in long enough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Two photos showing Col. Ramon Z. Aguirre, battalion commander of the 19th Battalion Combat Team, Philippine Expeditionary Force to Korea (PEFTOK) wearing the 45th Infantry Division SSI.

45th Infantry Division.Philippine Expeditionary Force To Korea.1.jpg

45th Infantry Division.Philippine Expeditionary Force To Korea.2.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Several photos of Claude F. Clayton as a brigadier and later major general serving with the 31st Infantry Division of the Mississippi National Guard. Note his wearing a patch of the Confederate flag, or more precisely the battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia, over his left breast pocket. Other breast patches are shown, including one which I believe is the 108th Armored Cavalry Regiment.

31st Infantry Division.Clayton.Confederate Flag.1.jpg

31st Infantry Division.Clayton.Confederate Flag.3.jpg

31st Infantry Division.Clayton.Confederate Flag.8.jpg

31st Infantry Division.Clayton.Confederate Flag.9.jpg

31st Infantry Division.Clayton.Confederate Flag.10.jpg

108th Armored Cavalry Regiment.1.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Transportation School SSI worn by officer candidates at Fort Eustis, Virginia. The first is from 1967 and the second from 1966. The third is posted just to show the intresting accoutrements the candidates wore.

Transportation School.OCS.1.jpg

Transportation School.OCS.2.jpg

Transportation School.OCS.3.jpg

Transportation School.OCS.4.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sean That officer is Arty, so that's a Pocket Patch for the 114th Artillery, of which there was three battalions  in the old 31st Infantry Division in the late 50s into the 60s. Its based on their DI.

 

Pentomic Era

 

1st Howitzer Battalion (105mm/155mm SP), 114th Artillery

2nd Howitzer Battalion (105mm/155mm SP), 114th Artillery

3rd Rocket Howitzer Battalion (Honest John/8 in), 114th Artillery                

 

ROAD Era

1st Battalion, 114th Artillery

2nd Battalion, 114th Artillery

3rd Battalion, 114th Artillery

 

detail_558CL.jpg.4163ae9b56237a569784d2e0f0239b54.jpgimages.jpg.5d9765cb7df03d6bfbabe5cbe641b0f6.jpg

 

 

image.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, patches said:

Sean That officer is Arty, so that's a Pocket Patch for the 114th Artillery, of which there was three battalions  in the old 31st Infantry Division in the late 50s into the 60s. Its based on their DI.

 

Pentomic Era

 

1st Howitzer Battalion (105mm/155mm SP), 114th Artillery

2nd Howitzer Battalion (105mm/155mm SP), 114th Artillery

3rd Rocket Howitzer Battalion (Honest John/8 in), 114th Artillery                

 

ROAD Era

1st Battalion, 114th Artillery

2nd Battalion, 114th Artillery

3rd Battalion, 114th Artillery

 

detail_558CL.jpg.4163ae9b56237a569784d2e0f0239b54.jpgimages.jpg.5d9765cb7df03d6bfbabe5cbe641b0f6.jpg

 

 

image.png

Thanks. I couldn't tell if the officer's branch insignia was artillery or armor. Your analysis makes sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/26/2021 at 10:41 AM, seanmc1114 said:

Several photos of Claude F. Clayton as a brigadier and later major general serving with the 31st Infantry Division of the Mississippi National Guard. Note his wearing a patch of the Confederate flag, or more precisely the battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia, over his left breast pocket. Other breast patches are shown, including one which I believe is the 108th Armored Cavalry Regiment.

31st Infantry Division.Clayton.Confederate Flag.1.jpg

31st Infantry Division.Clayton.Confederate Flag.3.jpg

31st Infantry Division.Clayton.Confederate Flag.8.jpg

31st Infantry Division.Clayton.Confederate Flag.9.jpg

31st Infantry Division.Clayton.Confederate Flag.10.jpg

108th Armored Cavalry Regiment.1.jpg

At first I couldn't ID the DUI patch worn by the engineer officers in the first photo in the post because I found the engineer battalion assigned to the 31st Division was the 106th. However, the Institute of Heraldry shows the first DUI attached below as the DUI for the 106th. First, that's clearly not the DUI they are wearing. Second, TIOH shows that particular DUI was not approved until 1971.

 

After a little Google research I found the second DUI, which does appear to be the same patch the officers are wearing.

106th Engineer Battalion.DUI.1.jpg

106th Engineer Battalion.DUI.2.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lt. Col. Carmen Cavezza, who retired as a Lt. General, and other officers during the change of command ceremony of the 1st Battalion 23rd Infantry in South Korea around 1975.

2nd Infantry Division.Cavezza.Carmen.1970's.23rd Infantry Regiment.2.jpg

2nd Infantry Division.Cavezza.Carmen.1970's.23rd Infantry Regiment.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

General Bernard Montgomery presenting the British Distinguished Service Order to Major General Maxwell Taylor in July 1944. The major general is wearing what appears to be a theater made First Army SSI. Any idea who the general is? I assume he would be the deputy commander or chief of staff of First Army.

First Army.Theater Made.World War II.1.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's hard to make out, but these two WAC officers are wearing the 101st Airborne Division SSI and Glider Badges. The caption per the Don F. Pratt Museum Facebook page states: "On this day in 1945 (July 23), CPT Ann Neal and 2LT Kathryn Martin became the first women assigned to the 101st Airborne Division authorized to wear the 101st Airborne Division shoulder patch."

 

101st Airborne Division.Glider Badge.Females.2.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, seanmc1114 said:

General Bernard Montgomery presenting the British Distinguished Service Order to Major General Maxwell Taylor in July 1944. The major general is wearing what appears to be a theater made First Army SSI. Any idea who the general is? I assume he would be the deputy commander or chief of staff of First Army.

First Army.Theater Made.World War II.1.jpg

Its porbably William B. Kean Chief of Staff  First U.S. Army,

Cpptue.PNG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48th Infantry Division along with the 3rd Infantry Division 1955, the officer in the 48th is of the 190th Tank Battalion, and was with elmts of the division at their summer drill at Ft Benning, 3rd Infantry Division stationed a Benning at this time, the 48th will soon be reorganized as a Armored Division.

oppp.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...