Patches in action: Photos of SSI being worn by the troops.

Teamski

seanmc1114

Lieutenant General Michael E. Kurilla, current commander of the XVIII Airborne Corps, wearing a full color SSI and RANGER tab on his ACU.

XVIII Airborne Corps.Commander.Full Color.2020.jpg

I think wearing of full-color SSIs is becoming more common at ceremonies. I would assume local command dictates it. Here is a recent Ranger School graduation photo.

I think it looks pretty sharp.  Maybe someone still on active duty can chime in.

Color SSI.jpg

seanmc1114
2 hours ago, rd12 said:

I think wearing of full-color SSIs is becoming more common at ceremonies. I would assume local command dictates it. Here is a recent Ranger School graduation photo.

I think it looks pretty sharp.  Maybe someone still on active duty can chime in.

Color SSI.jpg

Not just ceremonies. 

82nd Airborne Division.2019.Full Color.9.JPG

8 hours ago, seanmc1114 said:

Not just ceremonies. 

82nd Airborne Division.2019.Full Color.9.JPG

I think its a splendid idea, this wearing of the full color patches on occasion, kudos to who ever thought of it.

The Big Red One 1968, the unit is Headquarters Headquarters Battery 1st Infantry Division Artillery.

162087500048472062.jpg.aa2b835b147b4c4a1f8eec335c0e0cff.jpg

t1ardgu.gifThe Guidon for a DIV ARTY HHB, here the 1st Armored Division's.

easterneagle87
On 4/23/2021 at 9:14 PM, patches said:

A 1950-51 GI, a Pfc, of a 4th Army Troop Unit, Field Artillery or Anti Aircraft Artillery (AAA now wear Crossed Cannons), nice view of the Khaki Edge of the 4th Army patch there

default.jpg

I found one similar, it's up on my ebay page currently

KW 4th ID - Copy.jpg

seanmc1114

IV Armored Corps. This sergant went on to serve in Europe after the IV Armored Corps was redesignated as the XX Corps.

IV Armored Corps.jpg

IV Armored Corps.2.png

seanmc1114

Interesting variation of the 3rd Infantry Division SSI worn by a soldier on occupation duty in Germany after World War I. 

World War I.3rd Infantry Division.3.jpg

seanmc1114

Headquarters American Expeditionary Forces SSI worn by a soldier on occupation duty in Germany after World War I 

World War I.HQ AEF.jpg

seanmc1114

I don't know if this technically qualifies as a SSI, but this soldier is wearing the patch of the 94th Aero Squadron on his right sleeve.

World War I.94th Aero Squadron.jpg

seanmc1114

Major General William C. McMahon, commander of the 8th Infantry Division from February 1943 to July 1944. At first I thought the SSI had a white border, but the closer I look, I think it's just just sewn on with x stitches using white thread.

4D333644-F5EA-493D-B008-46077DC0FB83.jpeg

EE54F349-4559-4B4E-AC5F-D7C2216ED86E.jpeg

seanmc1114

Nice Kodachrome shot of a World War II 8th Infantry Division staff sergeant wearing 28th Infantry Regiment DUI's. The picture came from a Facebook page and one of the comments pointed out he is wearing a private purchase overseas cap of a different shade than his Ike jacket.

5FB8ACF0-E424-465B-938E-3E1D743355F7.jpeg

seanmc1114

173rd Airborne Brigade on a second pattern jungle fatigue coat. Note his metal jump wings on his cap have a combat jump star, probably for Operation Junction City in February 1967. I can't tell if this is an actual color photo or a colorized black and white photo.

173rd Airborne Brigade.Jump Wings.Combat Star.jpg

seanmc1114

Soldier wearing a RANGER and AIRBORNE tab above his 1st Cavalry Divison SSI, probably at Fort Hood, Texas post-1972 when the 1st Cav returned from Vietnam. I believe his unit would be Company A 75th Infantry.

1st Cavalry Division.Airborne.A-75th.1970's.jpg

seanmc1114

Two soldiers of the 2nd Ranger Company in Korea wearing generic AIRBORNE RANGER INF CO scrolls. The officer on the left is wearing a 7th Infantry Divion SSI under his scroll. The officer on the left is wearing numbered Infantry branch insignia. It appears to be "505" or "508", probably the regiment of the 82nd Airborne Division from which he as recruited. 

Also note the jump wings worn by the officer on the right looks like it's bullion.

Scroll.Ranger.Infantry Company.2nd Ranger Company.1.jpg

Scroll.Ranger.Infantry Company.2nd Ranger Company.2.jpg

Scroll.Ranger.Infantry Company.2nd Ranger Company.3.jpg

Scroll.Ranger.Infantry Company.2nd Ranger Company.4.jpg

seanmc1114

Officer of the 3rd Infantry Division, most likely in North Africa or Sicily. His collar branch insignia appears to have the number "96" on it.

5A618742-AA12-4D75-92CE-E49B26722971.jpeg

35F5C319-DB40-407D-8432-D31EB7CE9A35.png

seanmc1114

Soldier wearing a desert subdued 94th Infantry Division SSI in Iraq around 2004/2005 when the unit was flagged as the 94th Regional Readiness Command. 

94th Infantry Division.Iraq.1.jpg

94th Infantry Division.Iraq.2.jpg