Patches in action: Photos of SSI being worn by the troops.

Teamski

Captainofthe7th

Great thread! I will try to add some shortly...in the meantime, does anyone else agree that this is worth being pinned? I'm sure we'll accumulate plenty more images for a sizeable topic. Valuable reference indeed...

First - Kiska task force. Love the chevrons in the helmet net, too. I may have even pulled this one off the forums here. I think at least one GI has the Kiska patch as a combat patch.

kiska.jpg

Rob

Captainofthe7th

Lots of 2nd ID here. Here comes some Ceris-Normandie photos...

909.jpg

1st Army

1037.jpg

And I've only gone through about the first quarter of the first set of 3000 photos...I've got time on my hands :)

Rob

Captainofthe7th

3rd Ranger Co in Korea (out of Stanton's book I think)

3rdRangerCompany3rdInfantryDivision.jpg

7th ID Korea (17th Regt from Rocket Robert's page...I think this was "Co C buddy")

korea_scan_016.jpg

Rob

3rd Ranger Co in Korea (out of Stanton's book I think)

3rdRangerCompany3rdInfantryDivision.jpg

7th ID Korea (17th Regt from Rocket Robert's page...I think this was "Co C buddy")

korea_scan_016.jpg

Rob

The correct unit designation is 3rd Ranger Infantry Company (Abn); also many GIs in the KISKA TF wore the same SSI on both shoulders

lamarhooten
....Korean War...

LOVE the colored photos!! Lets the youngsters know that it was just black/white back in the day!!!

Proud Kraut

Nice thread, Ski! Recently I did a little research on the local German and Allied POW camps. Among others I found this picture online at the German Federal Archives.

Attribution: Bundesarchiv, Bild 146-1991-017-34 / Unknown / CC-BY-SA

Bundesarchiv_Bild_146_1991_017_34__Amerikanische_Kriegsgefangene.jpg

Hawaii... 1920's or 1930's... believed to be a member of C Company, 3rd Engineers.

Hawaii_Engineers_2_close_small.JPG

Proud Kraut

Picture from the Berlin Airlift. Seems that the guy in the center has a Labrador NE Canada Cmd patch on his right sleeve. Unfortunately I can't identify the patch on his left sleeve. Anybody?

Bundesarchiv_Bild_146_1985_064_09A__Frankfurt_Main__Luftbr_cke__Transport.jpg

FrankEaton01

Here's another example of the early AAF "pinwheel" patch being worn. The veteran served in the 67th Bomb Squadron, 44th Bomb Group.

7e0e3d21.jpg

01ba38cf.jpg

Gregg let me add the picture of his uncle to this thread. A good example of using snaps to attach a patch to the uniform to facilitate easy removal for laundering. Great photo, hey? Thanks Gregg!

-Ski

post-3043-1275098912.jpg