Patches in action: Photos of SSI being worn by the troops.

Teamski

20 hours ago, seanmc1114 said:

3rd Coast Artillery District 

47C08F03-DCFE-4386-A1D8-68EC2101CD0C.jpeg

BE1687AE-A0AA-40F3-8ACB-D7979C48EC13.jpeg

3rd CA is interesting.  I have yet to see any pix of the patch being worn as shown by US Army Heraldry.  My guess is that the patch was fielded with no instructions or before Heraldry officially made the color plates in the haste of war.

BCA52FA1-3555-4EA3-8069-E665D775E22F.png

mysteriousoozlefinch
22 hours ago, patches said:

The Army Ballistic Missile Agency, an MP assigned to this unit, 1960 I think, haven't ascertained what MP Company was assigned to it though.

Per the December 1961 Military Police Journal the 291st MP Company provided security to the ABMA.

2 hours ago, mysteriousoozlefinch said:

Per the December 1961 Military Police Journal the 291st MP Company provided security to the ABMA.

Yes indeed, found that out this morning.

11 December 58 The RSA Redstone Troop Command organized a military ceremony to honor the visit of Crown Prince Constantine of Greece. Four ruffles and flourishes were given by the 296th Army Band from Fort McClellan, Alabama, while a firing battery of the 12th Artillery Battalion, Fort Benning, Georgia, rendered a 21-gun salute. The Honor Guard was furnished by the 291st MP Company, Redstone Arsenal, and the Color Guard was composed of representatives of other units of the Troop Command.

ballistic.jpg

Army Service Forces SSI worn by cadre of an Ordnance Training Battalion at Aberdeen Proving Ground during the Korean War. From a 1953 yearbook on e-Bay. Note that the commanding officer was a Major, the executive officer a Captain and the battalion S-1 and S-3 were both Corporals. 

Army Service Forces.Ordnance Training Battalion.1951.jpg

Army Service Forces.Ordnance Training Battalion.1951.2.jpg

Army Service Forces.Ordnance Training Battalion.1951.3.jpg

Army Service Forces.png

A Staff Sergeant Frank Dixon, 894th Tank Destroyer Battalion KIA Anzio.  He wears the II Corps patch Fort Bragg in July 1942, before the TD patch came out????

896.jpg

Private Charles W Keith Jr, Stateside, another WWII KIA, Keith was in the  Company  B 20th Armored Infantry Battalion 10th Armored Division. KIA inside Germany February 26 1945, he already had The Purple Heart having been hit in November and Returned Duty.

8o.jpg

This photo appeared in the Spring 1970 issue of the 1st Infantry Divsiion's "Danger Forward" magazine. From his weapon and equipment and loaction in the field, the soldier on the right would appear to be an infantryman. But note he is wearing the 1st Logistical Command SSI. 

1st Logistical Command.Vietnam.2.jpg

Cobra 6 Actual

Well, I guess he could have been on some assignment from 1st Log. Command that required him to be in the field for some oddball reason. I think equally likely, Sean, was that’s what was available when he changed uniforms in the basecamp.  First off, let me clarify that I know that what one Division did or even one squad did in Vietnam could be diametrically different from what another did.

But, when I was in the 1st Infantry Division (1968-1969) we'd wear our uniforms for however long we were out on an operation (anytime from a couple of days to many days). When we returned we stunk and our uniforms stunk, so at our first opportunity we would "DX" these uniforms (I believe "DX" was for "Distribution and Exchange"): essentially, you went to Supply and picked up a clean jungle jacket from a pile of the correct size; then, did the same for the trousers. Later, after a shower (hopefully, a hot one; but usually not), you would drop off the smelly uniforms in another pile, located right outside the showers. They'd be cleaned and re-distributed.

There were only two criteria I had for the clean uniforms: 1) they had to fit, and 2) I preferred no holes. The First Infantry seemed to prefer to have the Division patch … the BRO … pre-sewn on uniforms. But, I do recall on more than one occasion people pulling uniforms out of the pile with other insignia already sewn on … CIB’s usually, but sometimes rank, and even other divisions’ patches. I guess what happened is that someone from another outfit was attached to the BRO, exchanged uniforms, and then the original uniform got mixed into the laundry system. Go figure.

(Again, I’m just speculating here. Who knows for sure.)

5 hours ago, Cobra 6 Actual said:

Well, I guess he could have been on some assignment from 1st Log. Command that required him to be in the field for some oddball reason. I think equally likely, Sean, was that’s what was available when he changed uniforms in the basecamp.  First off, let me clarify that I know that what one Division did or even one squad did in Vietnam could be diametrically different from what another did.

But, when I was in the 1st Infantry Division (1968-1969) we'd wear our uniforms for however long we were out on an operation (anytime from a couple of days to many days). When we returned we stunk and our uniforms stunk, so at our first opportunity we would "DX" these uniforms (I believe "DX" was for "Distribution and Exchange"): essentially, you went to Supply and picked up a clean jungle jacket from a pile of the correct size; then, did the same for the trousers. Later, after a shower (hopefully, a hot one; but usually not), you would drop off the smelly uniforms in another pile, located right outside the showers. They'd be cleaned and re-distributed.

There were only two criteria I had for the clean uniforms: 1) they had to fit, and 2) I preferred no holes. The First Infantry seemed to prefer to have the Division patch … the BRO … pre-sewn on uniforms. But, I do recall on more than one occasion people pulling uniforms out of the pile with other insignia already sewn on … CIB’s usually, but sometimes rank, and even other divisions’ patches. I guess what happened is that someone from another outfit was attached to the BRO, exchanged uniforms, and then the original uniform got mixed into the laundry system. Go figure.

(Again, I’m just speculating here. Who knows for sure.)

Spot on -- that happened with some regularity.  That's why most troopers in line companies never bothered to have name tapes sewn on the uniform jackets they wore when they went outside the wire -- the chances of ever getting that particular jacket back in a future DX were slim to none.  See posts #5834, 5656, and 5512 for examples of officers, NCOs, and soldiers in the field in Vietnam with no name tapes on their jackets (even if there was an SSI on the sleeve).

BTW, "DX" stood for "Direct Exchange" (as in, you exchanged a set of fatigues for another set of fatigues).

Cobra 6 Actual

Ranger-1972, thank you for that correction of the meaning of DX. I also remember once when our platoon came in to DX last: not much of a selection and my two “criteria” (the uniform fit and it had no holes) were not met. Apparently in the washing process large holes if unrepairable were either judged  unserviceable or were repaired; small holes were OK, though … to the REMF’s. In the field they were just another entry portal for mosquitoes and leeches, as I’m sure you’ll recall!

On 3/2/2022 at 4:10 PM, seanmc1114 said:

Soldiers of the 197th Infantry Brigade (OSUT) at Fort Benning, Georgia. The first three are from 2021 and the fourth is from January 2022.

197th Infantry Brigade.2021.Fort Benning.1.jpg

197th Infantry Brigade.2021.Fort Benning.2.jpg

197th Infantry Brigade.2021.Fort Benning.3.jpg

197th Infantry Brigade.2021.Fort Benning.4.jpg

Third photo is my basic training cycle.

JerseyDevil117

Theater made 82nd airborne patch with a brown border. pic was from a military related FB page. First pic ive seen of theater made patches worn on the DBDU

318597286_1343798629725069_4063696145473704789_n.jpg

Lt. Col. Hal Moore and Captain Dillon wearing the 11th Air Assault Division SSI and unofficial Air Assault Badge on the pockets of their field jackets at Fort Benning in 1964 or 1965. They would almost certainly have been wearing the SSI of the 2nd Infantry Division on their left sleeves. 

11th Air Assault Division.Pocket Patch.2nd Infantry Division.Harold Moore.1.JPG

Woleai Atoll. The Fleet Marine Force Anti Aircraft Patch on Khakis of this Marine Corps Officer, looks like a Oak Leaf there, not sure if a Major or a Lieutenant Colonel. He is there overseeing the surrender of the remnant of the Japanese Garrison on Woleai, the garrison of 6,426 reduced by the time of surrender to only 1,600  due American Air Raids, illness and diseases and evidently starvation and little fresh water.

fmf 4 Woleai.jpg

fmf.PNG

That is Marine Lieutenant Colonel Parker R. Colmer (*1916 - †1993), XO of the 9th Anti-Aircraft Battalion.  He had joined the Marines in August 1937, and was eventually promoted to Colonel in 1951.  Lt. Col. Colmer is seated second from the right (next to a Japanese officer) in the stern of the boat in the photo below.  During 1914, Japan  occupied Germany's territories in the Pacific, including Woleai Atoll.  The Treaty of Versailles gave Japan a mandate to administer these territories. The atoll was heavily fortified in 1944, and the Japanese cleared the entire island to construct a single runway measuring 3,290' x 330' running roughly NE to SW, with a taxiway 2,050' x 165' running N to S.  The US leapfrogged past the Caroline Island chain, blockading it and leaving the Japanese to starve.  In the 1945 article copied below, the words in [square brackets] have been substituted for what was originally written, because this forum won't permit the original words to be posted.

WOLEAI ATOLL, CAROLINE ISLAND, SEPTEMBER 17, 1945
By Walter Kukelhan, USS SLOAT DE 245

The living dead, carried on to a Japanese Hospital Ship here, gave mute testimony to the tightness with which the US Navy drew the blockade noose around the neck of Woleai Atoll, bypassed Caroline Island group that was surrendered by the Japanese today to an American force.

Cut of from all supplies since April of this year, Woleai's original reported garrison of 6,500 has been thinned down by death to starving 1,650. Driven by constant bombing to live in underground holes, comparatively few Japanese were killed in the actual attacks, but disease has cut down their forces relentlessly. Almost as though in retribution for the mistreated Americans who have died in Japanese prison camps, about 100 [Japanese] have died every month, mostly from malnutrition, since diseases started to take their toll.

Pale ghosts of men stumbled about the scrubby Atoll, supporting themselves weakly by sticks. In some cases, sticks are of no avail and those who are clinging pathetically to life go wherever they are going by riding piggy-back on the slightly stauncher shoulders of their comrades. Others seem to have lost all interest in movement and lie inertly along the side of the narrow dirt roads.

To these living skeletons, who knew that the road to war did not always lead to glory, the coming of the Conquerors, accompanied by an American-planned [Japanese] Hospital Ship, was a deliverance.

Early this morning Japanese emissaries came out by launch for a surrender conference aboard the USS SLOAT DE 245, with American military and Naval officials, led by Marine Lieutenant Colonel Parker R. Colmer of Brookline, MA. Readily, the [Japanese] agreed that surrender papers signed two weeks ago at Truk authorized them to proceed with the capitulation.

The [Japanese] were given detailed instructions by Colonel Colmer, executive officer of the Ninth Anti-Aircraft Artillery Battalion, for clearing the Atoll of all armaments and embarking the remaining members of the garrison on the hospital ship by Friday evening.

In the afternoon, Colonel Colmer led an inspecting party, including a detachment of Marines from his Battalion, on a check-up tour of bomb-devastated Woleai, main island of the group.

Evacuation of the Japanese to the Hospital Ship will continue tomorrow and Wednesday and the Stars and Stripes will fly over Woleai for the first time as soon as the last Nip quits this coral slice of the fast-dwindling Japanese Empire.

The USS SLOAT, a veteran of Atlantic warfare and recent arrival in the Pacific, is commanded by Lieutenant Arthur S. Lane of Trenton, NJ.

Reprinted from DESANews, Vol. 32, Num. 1, January/February 2006.

image.png.5bf7bbbf5292657a040893237cc737e4.png

Here is a perfect example of how a unit can change its role and affiliation while retaining its SSI with ties to a former command, sometime creating a head scratcher. For decades, the Southern European Task Force was tasked with supporting milityary activities in Southern Europe. Duh! However, in 2008, SETAF transitioned to become the Souther European Task Force-Africa, the Army's element of the newly created Africa Command. Then in 2020, the Army announced that USARAF would merge with U.S. Army Europe to form a new command, U.S. Army Europe and Africa (USAREUR-AF). The two commands were consolidated on November 20, 2020. The whole time, it retained its original SSI with SETAF tab.

These photos show the current Commanding General, Deputy Commanding General and Command Sergeant Major of the SETAF. Prior to assuming command of SETAF, Major General Todd R. Wasmund served as the Deputy Commanding General – Operations of the 3rd (French) Division in Marseille, France. He was the first U.S. General Officer selected as an exchange officer with the French Army. 

SETAF.3.jpg

SETAF.4.jpg

SETAF.5.jpg