Patches in action: Photos of SSI being worn by the troops.

Teamski

10 minutes ago, flytiger said:

WE got the word to change our rather bright Cav patches in late 66.......same time told to dye out white t-shirts OD.  Mixed results believe me! C/2/20th ARA.

LOL Me in April 1981 C Co 2nd of the 12th Cav Ft Hood LOL

c rat.jpg

Major General Robert F. Sink, who commanded the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment in World War II, wearing the SSI of the 7th Armored Division which he commanded in 1953.

7th Armored Division.Robert F. Sink.jpg

Studio portraits of U.S. Marine Corps Reservist Sgt. Harold Price, wearing the Marine Corps Ship's Detachment patch, taken while he served the USS Bunker Hill (CV-17), in 1944.

Marine Corps.Ship's Detachment.1.jpg

Marine Corps.Ship's Detachment.2.jpg

Marine Corps.Ship's Detachment.3.jpg

Marine Corps.Ship's Detachment.4.jpg

Marine Corps.Ship's Detachment.5.jpg

Marine Corps.Ship's Detachment.6.jpg

James Baldwin, commander of the Americal Division wearing the patch of his very recent former unit, XXIV Corps in 1971. Also we see the Americal patch with RANGER Tab three too.

james l baldwin.png

On 10/11/2021 at 11:23 AM, steeve555 said:

A lot of changes took place in the 70's to mid 80's.  There could of been differences in 68 than 78 about the candy stripe.  We could wear it if we competed Phase 1.  Then when we finished Phase 3 we were awarded full flash.  At the time I was in the 11TH SFG.  To be quite frank I never saw a candy stripe at Bragg any of times I was there.  I only saw them back at the unit.  In my case Tappen NY.  Around there the NQP'S wore soft caps.  When I got out of SF in 2007 the NQP's were still wearing soft caps unless they were in class A's  Then they wore Maroon Berets.  The Support Guys wear Maroon all the time in garrison.

1.  Reserve trainees at Ft Bragg wearing the RC “candy stripe” after completing Phase I.

2.  7th Grp  HHQ Clerk (Leg) wearing the green beanie w/7th group “candy stripe.

*photos are from 1966/67

3BCAC813-4049-48B8-AFAB-F449188F2ED7.jpeg

D80DB619-17F5-4395-B053-9BF4884E3B9A.jpeg

And Harold Russell of the 13th Airborne Division in an Army film I guess before his medical discharge, Russell was in the Golden Unicorn Division when he was involved in that tragic accident with explosives at a range at Camp MacKall North Carolina.

Harold Russell two oscars one part 1200.jpg

This may be from the movie, Diary of a Sergeant, in which SGT Russell starred in 1945. He went on to win the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor in 1947 for the 1946 movie, The Best Years of Our Lives. Russell actually won two Academy Awards that night -- the only person in history to do so. The other award was an Honorary Award for being an inspiration to all returning wounded veterans. Russell went on to earn a business degree from Boston University and to be the President of AMVETS three times. In 1964, he was the Chairman of the President's Committee on Hiring the Handicapped.

Major General Roscoe B. Woodruff, commanding general of the XV Corps from 1951 to 1953. He had previously commanded the I Corps on occupation duty in Japan, but note that he is not wearing the ribbons for either the World War II Victory Medal or Army of Occupation Medal. 

XV Corps.Roscoe B. Woodruff.jpg

11 hours ago, seanmc1114 said:

I believe this commander of the 24th Infantry Division is Major General William F. Dean

24th Infantry Division.Korea.William F. Dean.jpg

That there is Maj Gen Blackshear M. Bryan commanded the division January 1951 – December 1951

mg_hoge.jpg

Sgt. Neopolis Wigfall  2nd Army sub unit unknown around early 1952. Wigfall stays in, and is KIA in the Battle of LZ Albany in A Co 2nd Bn 7th Cav November 1965.

Sgt. Neopolis Wigfall a co 2nd 7th cav.PNG